DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Transmission problems?

807 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  joe_mn 
#1 ·
So I leave work today, the car backs up fine, drives out of the parking lot fine, I get about 100ft down the road and the car just stops accelerating but the engine keeps revining (it jumped up to around 6000rpm for like half a second) so I'm like wtf, the car keeps rolling and I pull it into a driveway nearby. I shut the car off, wait a little, and start it back up..

The car starts/runs fine, when you go to put it in gear it doesnt feel like the cars moving outta park and you can press on the gas and itll just sit there and rev the engine. Ive never had anything like this happen before, the car ran perfect before this, its a 1997 3.5L with about 117,000 miles on it. This all occured driving moderately and only going about 20mph. Ive never noticed any transmission problems before? Am I just stupid and its something obvious?

#2 ·
sounds like you are low on tranny fluid.. same thing happens to me all the time..

#4 ·
So if my car is low on tranny fluid, is that something where I can just pore some more in after checking the level and it will be ok to get it somewhere? Does it need to be the same kind as whats in it now? I have no idea what kind they used in there cause I bought the car used awhile back and have never had a tranny flush or anything done yet. The car right now is stuck about 15 miles from my house and I really need to get it to move somewhere, it already cost me $80 to get it towed to a place where I could store it without getting parking tickets :-(

#5 ·
yes there should be a dipstick under the hood.. probably red or orange colored.. you can check it there.. but the car has to be running.. and you can also fill it there if you have a funnel and a hose.

#6 ·
g0ldfinGa said:
So if my car is low on tranny fluid, is that something where I can just pore some more in after checking the level and it will be ok to get it somewhere? Does it need to be the same kind as whats in it now? I have no idea what kind they used in there cause I bought the car used awhile back and have never had a tranny flush or anything done yet. The car right now is stuck about 15 miles from my house and I really need to get it to move somewhere, it already cost me $80 to get it towed to a place where I could store it without getting parking tickets :-(
If you were to "pour" it in the dipstick tube using a funnel rather than try to "pore" it in somehow, it might go a little more quickly.

#10 · (Edited)
the shop looked at it while i was at work, they said they tried to refill the fluid and that it ran right through somewhere and would leak out as fast as it poured in.. He said he wasnt sure exactly what was wrong but said the transmission probably needed a rebuild or to be replaced with a used one for $1500. I wish I had a shop and the know-how to do it myself cause the junk yard has trannys for like $80. They however wouldnt give me an estimate untill they pulled out the tranny itself and disassembled it to see what the exact problem was.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.