DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

95 intrepid drains battery

752 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Lafrad 
#1 ·
ok, first off i'm no electrician and this one's not mine. i do have a 96 (not 95) factory manual and am trying to go through an iod (ignition off draw test) to find out why this battery will be drained after sitting 2 days.

the procedure in the factory manual begins with a test light and pulling fuses out of the pdc. if the test light does not go out after a minute when held in series between the negative battery cable and the negative battery post you are to pull out the interior lighting fuse, the stop lamp fuse and the iod fuse in the pdc.

the fuses in the pdc are not titled this way. there are four 20 amp fuses called "park lamp", "interior brake lamps", "ign run start acc.", and "engine controlr". these are the closest titled fuses to the description in the manual. i pulled the three fuses called "park lamp", interior brake lamps" and "ign run start acc". the light stays on. i then pulled the fuse called "engine controlr." the light went out-i believe this is the iod fuse can anyone confirm???

anyway, i proceeded to pull out all of the other fuses-not relays-in the pdc (wiper, rad fan, ign run, head lamp) but "engine controlr." and the light stays on. if this is the iod fuse and it is the only one remaining and the light stays on the factory manual says there is a short in either the pcm or the tcm. then advises to disconnect the pcm and check light-if goes out replace pcm. if not go to tcm and do same. despite the pix in the factory manual, i cannot find the pcm and the tcm. if one of these is fried, are they hard to come by? also, am i doing something wrong? is "engine controlr." the iod fuse?

i have an cheapo multimeter as well, but have not even gotten to that stage in the manual. can someone shed some light-no pun intended. thanks.

See less See more
#4 ·
I just traded my '94 in for a '03 Intrepid SXT. So I can't go out and look at it for reference. My '94 factory service manual also says to pull interior /brake lamp fuse "J". and PCM fuse "A". But the diagram of PDC lists fuse "A" as Transmission control system. fuse "J" is listed as junction block. If you've pulled all but one fuse , then do like the book says and unplug the PCM and TCM one at a time. If the light is still on then either the remaining fuse is not the engine controller fuse or you have a short in the wiring. Be sure to wait at least one minute for timeout.

#5 ·
My '96 that I sold to my dad did this.

Solved it, by me Hopping into the trunk , and having dad close the trunk lid.

Guess what... the trunk lid "light" switch had rusted so much, that it was always "ON". Solved it by taking the bulb out, and dad doesn't really care about the dim trunk...

Would drain the battery after over 12 hours of sitting, but never under......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.