SUB WOOFERS [Archive] - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat

: SUB WOOFERS

blkbute
08-19-2001, 12:11 AM
I was looking at upgrading the BASS in my Intrepid. I want to leave everything stock, but add on a sub or 2. Im looking for SPL out of the setup. I was looking at the Infinity Kappa 12.1 perfect. It looks like one sweet piece. Power Handling Peak:1400W
Power Handling RMS:350W at 4 OHMS. I know nothing about amps, so I would not know how to power this.. can someone guide me?

01Intrepid
08-19-2001, 01:07 PM
Well I have 2 8 ohm pioneer IMPP woofers, with a 480w each... so to max them out, i would have to have 960w amp.... But I only have a 300W amp pushing them. I need to up grade to a bigger amp but I really see no need.... So I'm not sure but i would think that what ever amp you buy, you would have to bridge it to your speakers........ My question is whats the differents Between a 4 ohm and 8 ohm woofer. B/C I have 8ohm, and I bought them about 3-4 years ago and nothings wrong with them. but I would like to up grade to a newer style pioneer, but i can't find 8ohms. :(

Warlord187
08-19-2001, 02:07 PM
First rule...PEAK power means jack shit!!! :)

You said you are looking for SPL. Well the Infinity Kappa Perfect is built for SQ applications. I'm not saying this thing won't pound, it does, but it's not a pure SPL sub. If you want SPL, here are some good choices.

Audiomobile MASS (http://www.audiomobileinc.com)

Orion HCCA
Cerwin-Vegas
Soundstream MULE

As for powering them, are you going to go with one sub or two?

Warlord187
08-19-2001, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by 01Intrepid:
My question is whats the differents Between a 4 ohm and 8 ohm woofer. B/C I have 8ohm, and I bought them about 3-4 years ago and nothings wrong with them. but I would like to up grade to a newer style pioneer, but i can't find 8ohms. :(

Automotive speakers are typically 4 ohm, while home speakers are typically 8 ohm. You can use either type of speaker in either application. The only different between a 4 ohm speaker and a 8 ohm speaker is the resistance rating (ohms). Which one you should choose would depend on how you want to wire them or even how you want your amp to work.

For example:
Let's say you have two subs hooked up to a two channel amp in stereo. In this setup, you would typically want the subs to be rated at 4 ohm. However, if you have 8 ohm subs, your amp will run cooler, but at the same time your amp will be putting out LESS power (that is why it will run cooler).

That's the basics of it. It can get rather complicated. Let's not even throw dual voice coil subs into the mix! :D

blkbute
08-19-2001, 10:13 PM
SPL and SQ, I guess after doing some more reaserch, I want both, but its just that I like listening to rap when I cruise downtown, so IM looking for a bit of both and I feel that the Infinity Kappa 12.1 perfect can do both in a bandpass or vented box. I think 1 sub can cover it nicely as well, or is 2 that much better? I rather get 1 nice one and get a sweet amp, then get 2 subs and not so good amp.

n_koutelas
08-19-2001, 10:53 PM
First of all, two subs are better than one. You will notice the difference. Make sure you buy good quality subs, the amp is not so important. I write this cause i know from experience. I have 2 12" Kicker subs in my trunk, powered by a small 250w amp. The amp is a not even a brand name. However, you can hear me coming from 2 blocks away..

Wildcat
08-20-2001, 12:01 AM
The amp makes a HUUUUUGE difference.

If you want loud noise, then by all means go with a shitty amp, and 2 MTX 15's...

If you want accurate, clean, bass, get somthing thats rated ONLY in RMS power, has a dampening factor of at least 200, DOESN'T have pointless flashy junk on it like neon lights, or excessive crome...

A decent 12" like an Orion HCCA, Fosgate RFD series, JBL GTO, Cerwin-Vega Stroker, or JL W6, will all hit hard as hell and clean when powered by a good 200watt ish amp.

If you find that the one 12 isnt enough you can always add another, but DONT SKIMP ON THE AMP!

Also... I have personaly felt that while subs in bandbass boxes can put out an insane ammount of SPL, they usualy sound very "One-note" meaning, all the bass sounds exactly the same..

If your looking for deeeeeeeeeep bass go with a sealed enclosure, if you want "thump"
do a ported box. Make sure it falls within the correct parameters. Just because a box has the right size hole cut in it, doesnt mean its the right box. :D

[ August 20, 2001: Message edited by: Wildcat ]

Warlord187
08-20-2001, 07:58 AM
Here is a good site for information.

Sounddomain (http://www.sounddomain.com)

Look through the forums.

Also, I believe the Infinity Kappa Perfect is designed for sealed enclosures. Yes, the Perfect will give you that good mix of SPL and SQ.

TehKing
08-20-2001, 08:45 AM
Uh...I have to disagree...two subs are not always better than one.

If the proper woofer/box/amp setup is chosen, a mono woofer system can sound just as good as poly woofer systems. You can achieve great SQ with a mono setup, and if you know what you are doing, you can get amazing SPL as well. Need proof? There is a member of IASCA from Ontario with a mono woofer setup (a common chain store 12") achieving over 150dB. It isn't very easy to accomplish, but it can be done.

Warlord187
08-20-2001, 09:03 AM
And of course, make sure it is installed well. You can have a gajillion subs, but if they are installed shitty, well, what a waste. If you go with a sealed enclosure, make sure it IS sealed (no airleaks). If it's a ported enclousure, make sure the ports are tuned correctly. Also, make sure you have the right size of enclosure (cubic feet) for your application and sub requirements.

To back up what LHSer said, in my current car I have a single 12" (see sig). In my previous car (1991 Sundance America) I had 2-12" Cerwin-Vegas in a ported box. The single 12" I have now pounds just as hard as the 2 Cerwins, but sounds a whole lot cleaner (and I'm not even running it with the best amp).

hug311
08-20-2001, 07:34 PM
Here is my experiance with the mighty subwoofer (by all means this is MY story). Right now I have 2 Kicker 10" in a sealed box (hand built by me) and a Kenwood 716 running them, they sound good with rock and alternative but are lacking with hip hop and rap.
Before I got the 'Trep I had custom S-10s and my favorite setup was 2 Kicker 12"(250watt rms) on a Kenwood 923(200watt rms) and that was enough to shake the change out of the ash tray and take the rearview mirror off the windshield, when I added the Kicker 15"(500watt rms) and the other Kenwood 923(200 watt rms) it was enough to make my wife have an orgasim without touching her. Now if that don't help I don't think you can be helped (LOL)
The 12"s are soon to reside in the 'Trep :cool:

blkbute
08-25-2001, 12:54 PM
thanks for your guys help, I will keep on looking around, Im just starting at looking. But another question. will a sub work properly off the factory deck? because I want to keep the factory look,

TehKing
08-25-2001, 01:06 PM
My system is entirely stock except for the sub and amp.

You'll need an Inline Convertor (ILC) to give you RCA inputs for the amp. I used an ILC from Monster and it provides a 9v signal, much higher than any headunit or preamp on the market. It sounds great too, or at least that is what I have been told.

blkbute
08-25-2001, 08:55 PM
alright, another question.. I will never learn unless I ask. if I were to get 2 subs, would it be best to use a mono sub amp and split the power, or use a 2 channel and bridge the power?

blkbute
08-25-2001, 08:57 PM
And another question, what is the differance between a single and dual voice coil?

gise1
08-26-2001, 10:59 PM
dual voice coils run cooler. i don't know if they do anything for sound.

01Intrepid
08-27-2001, 12:19 AM
Hey thanks warlord 187 for clearing it up alittle...... I can see clearly now!!!!!!!!

Lafrad
08-27-2001, 12:27 AM
Dual voice coil is like having 2 speaker coils driving one speaker cone.... so it is a 2 channel speaker. helps in situations where you want to eithert bridge the sub, or run it in series with itself... (2 ohms or 8 ohms, compared to the standard 4 ohms that car speakers generally run)
if you run dual subs, make sure the polairty is right... in stereo it is harder to hear if it is completely correct. otherwise, you got an expensive set of speakers set up to cancel each others noise. :p

Wildcat
08-27-2001, 09:09 AM
Dual-coil subs just give you more flexibility, allowing you to run a variety of impedances..

For example take an Orion 225HCCA amplifer, its a 25 watt by 2 channel amp at 4 ohms, but it DOUBLES its power every time you go half the impedance. Also keep in mind running a amp bridged, it sees half the impedance of you speaker..

So using a Dual coil sub running at two ohms, bridged mono, the amp sees this as a 1 ohm load giving you, 200 watts into your sub.

Throw on another dual coil sub in paralell, giving you a 1/2 ohm load, effectively giving you 400 watts.

Sometimes, a dual coil version of a sub performs better than the single coil version, but that isn't very common anymore.