Infinity Kappa and other door speaker question [Archive] - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat

: Infinity Kappa and other door speaker question

DjPiLL
06-23-2002, 05:01 AM
I originally thought I needed a harness for this, but I bought one and it didnt fit. Now i just looked on crutchfield and there is no mention of a harness needed for these kappa door speakers. I must have gotten mixed up with Randy's Polks. ;)

Question:

Crutchfield says I use the factory speaker grills... I imagine they just mean put the new speaker in where the old one is.

And then they say re-drill the mounting screw holes. Well the kapps is a different bolt patern than the factory infinity. When i put the speaker against the door... it looked like i can possible drill NEW holes. Is this possible and is this what crutchfield is recommending?

Just want to do it right.

DEEPRED
06-23-2002, 05:42 PM
D.J. I will take a look at mine tomorrow evening and see what my installer did. And post back here.

DjPiLL
06-23-2002, 06:17 PM
This will definitely help. How did you rig your tweeters?

DEEPRED
06-23-2002, 06:28 PM
DJ my tweeters came with a cross bar to fit in the standard door sail compartments. I know the 200 and newer compartments are a little different, all black plastic with just a port for the tweeter. the 98 and 99 have more of a grill type front. I am going to seriously look over the next gen's replacement for this becuase if mine fit and I like them better, (which I like my current ones tons better than the 2K and newer ones no offense) I'm taking mine with me or finding some elsewhere. So My door sail compartments may not help you out DJ. Sorry.

DEEPRED
06-24-2002, 11:18 PM
Dj To elaborate I had tweeters from the factory so I used teh factory compartments, you might want to see if you can find them/order them for yours if you don't have them???

Anyway I got under the front door grill to check out how my Kappas were installed and Dj crutchfield is leading you in the right direction, new holes were drilled in the door trim to hold the speaker.

I saw you had a question on how to get into the door trim. Well This thread goes into some detail as I tore apart my passenger door to try to get a vibration... I wasn;t completely successful but it stopped some of it.
http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2213

Warlord187
06-25-2002, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by DEEPRED
DJ my tweeters came with a cross bar to fit in the standard door sail compartments. I know the 200 and newer compartments are a little different, all black plastic with just a port for the tweeter. the 98 and 99 have more of a grill type front.

My 2000 R/T has the grill front. :)

http://www.intrepidrt.com/Pics/frspeakset02.gif

DjPiLL
06-25-2002, 10:53 AM
Warlord:

I think he is referring to the grill front that comes with the sail tweeter. You do not have that since you don't have tweeters.

DEEPRED
06-25-2002, 06:15 PM
No DJ, Warlord has it right, wow, I thoguth it was a 2K maybe it was a 2K1 and they made that change in... the grill fronts to the door sail compartments looks soooooooo much better than that black plastic yuckiness.

Although speaking of tweeters, today I notice ed my tweeter in an odd position in the sail compartment, I open it up to find out they used a metal cross-bar and HOT GLUE to mount it :mad: So apprently in the last couple days the heat dropped it. Grrrrrrr. So just a warning Dj don't do it that way as I'm seeking a new way to mount them. HOT F'in GLUE! Argh! Sorry had to blow some steam.

dbaudiopro
06-25-2002, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by DEEPRED
HOT F'in GLUE! Argh! Sorry had to blow some steam. Hey! Hot glue is the installer's best friend! Actually, we used to use hot glue all the time at the shop I worked at. But we would also back up the hot glue with a slower drying epoxy or silicone based adhesive that wouldn't melt and let go when the car got to 100 degrees. However, I can't believe that a better way doesn't exist to mount the tweeters...

DEEPRED
06-25-2002, 11:24 PM
I am working on it, I'm talking my dad into machining me some aluminum rings to go around infinity tweeter mounts if they will fit fully constructed in the door sail compartment I haven't gotten as far as trying that yet. I should tomorrow evening. The rings would have tabs on them extending to the screws in the sail compartment of course. I'm still upset that the bare tweeter was just HOT GLUED to an aluminum cross-bar. If an epoxy was used I could understand... of course that would make them difficult to remove. If I think the alum-ring idea will work and I talk my dad into it I'll post pics. Of course it could be a couple weeks, before all that comes together.