Last Pontiac GTO Built [Archive] - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat

: Last Pontiac GTO Built

Strongt
07-08-2006, 12:15 AM
From LeftLaneNews.com:

Last Pontiac GTO Built

http://images.leftlanenews.com/content/jul7-gto1.jpg

With little fanfare, the last Pontiac GTO was assembled at Holden's Monaro factory in Australia. Earlier this year, GM's Australian subsidiary built and auctioned its last Monaro coupe, but production of the continued in Pontiac guise until now. In February, GM announced it would end production of the GTO this year. Just weeks later, GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz said the Pontiac GTO could return in 2008, alongside the new Chevrolet Camaro. Unlike the now-discontinued GTO, the new model is expected to feature aggressive retro-inspired styling.

Avenger
07-08-2006, 01:03 AM
The current GTO's have very uninspired design IMO. I'm sure they go like hell, but they don't look special.

OneSpecialM
07-08-2006, 07:54 AM
The current GTO's have very uninspired design IMO. I'm sure they go like hell, but they don't look special.

I agree. They look plain, like oversized Cavalier's.

95trep3.3
07-08-2006, 09:15 AM
I like the those GTOs but I like that kind of styling, sporty but not over the top. Sad to see them go but now we will have to wate till 2008 to see whats next.

Indiana Intrep
07-08-2006, 10:57 AM
I agree. They look plain, like oversized Cavalier's.
Exactly. They don't look exactly bad... some recent Monte Carlo's come to mind there - but they're so nondescript it's like nobody was sure what they wanted the GTO to look like that it ended up looking like nothing. Put a few scoops on it here and there and ship it. Of course Pontiac's other cars are so overwrought it's ridiculous. Scallops and scoops galore.

Chrysler and Ford have done their pony cars over in the Challenger and Mustang; I guess Chev is going to reintroduce the Camaro; I'd like to see a GTO that brings back a suggestion of the very first years, no later than '67. I'll bet that would be sharp. GTO's used to be really nice cars but the current one's styling is just sad.