Replacing the Thermostat on a 2002 Intrepid [Archive] - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat

: Replacing the Thermostat on a 2002 Intrepid

jayson
07-20-2006, 10:57 PM
I am not a car expert but I know that replacing a thermostat should not cost $250 like the dealership told me. I am not even 100% sure that replacing the thermostat will fix my overheating problem but I figured that it would be a cheap thing to try. Apparently not!

The guy at the dealership made it sound like the thermostat is hard to get to. So you guys know...is that true? Where is it located and how hard is it to replace?

Any advice you can lend me would be great! Thanks!

J-

wb6vpm
07-20-2006, 11:02 PM
well you can download the service manuals here:

http://www.*****************.net/02lhe/

va3ux
07-20-2006, 11:06 PM
Changing the thermostat on this car is not like changing the thermostat on any other car. It's in a horrible place.

DrDodge
07-20-2006, 11:09 PM
yea if you have a 2.7 its a royal pain,, a 3.5 on the other hand aint too bad,,,

ARedTrepRT
07-21-2006, 01:02 AM
$250 isn't that bad from a dealership.....I had that done on my car and paid around $200 but also got a coolant flush/fill included. I also got a ton of air problems with the flush/fill that I had to keep filling the damn coolant until all the air was finally out, BUT, the stealership charges like $80 an hour labor, so the $250 isn't out of line from them...I would check around other places and see what type of amounts they are wanting....also see what type of coverage the stealership gives on their work, too...seems to be different at different dealerships around here...

ARedTrepRT
07-21-2006, 01:04 AM
oh ya, I forgot...check your radiator cap to see if your coolant is leaking out there as vapor...I had overheating issues this past winter and that was definitely a part that was bad on my car (2000 trep r/t) and also the fact that the thermostat was stuck, also. The cap is super cheap so u should just replace it anyhow!

froggy81500
07-21-2006, 07:11 AM
I am not a car expert but I know that replacing a thermostat should not cost $250 like the dealership told me. I am not even 100% sure that replacing the thermostat will fix my overheating problem but I figured that it would be a cheap thing to try. Apparently not!

The guy at the dealership made it sound like the thermostat is hard to get to. So you guys know...is that true? Where is it located and how hard is it to replace?

Any advice you can lend me would be great! Thanks!

J-

Unlike many cars, where the t-stat was up on top (and easy to change), usually on or near the intake manifold, the t-stat on the 2.7L is not. Its in the side of the block, and is blocked by the alternator. The lower radiator hose on the driver's side goes to it. I've flipped thru the FSM and saw that there's a little bit more work involved, so it may very well be reasonable for then to charge $250 for it.

jayson
07-21-2006, 08:21 AM
Thanks folks, I wanted confirmation that the thermostat was difficult to replace on this car and it sounds like it really is.

One follow-up question: The problem with the car is that it randomly overheats. It doesn't seem to matter if it's city driving or highway driving. But the simple fix around the problem has always been to pull over, turn the car off, and then start it right back up (no waiting). The temperature always drops back down to normal within seconds. Without any real car knowledge, that sounds like a stuck thermostat. Can anyone confirm that before I go back and plunk down the $250+ to get it replaced. The dealership did not diagnose this as the problem, in fact, when I asked them about the overheating problem they checked the fans and coolant system and found no problems.

froggy81500
07-21-2006, 08:34 AM
Check the fans and the radiator cap. Its actually not on the radiator anymore, its on the overflow tank, but serves the same purpose as the radiator cap. Mine will get hotter if it sits idling long enough but doesn't overheat. Usually when driving it sits around the same line, but when idling it'll move up to the next line until I start driving and the fans kick on.

DrDodge
07-21-2006, 09:48 AM
But the simple fix around the problem has always been to pull over, turn the car off, and then start it right back up (no waiting). The temperature always drops back down to normal within seconds

almost sounds like you may have a bit of air in the system,, id check on that first :confused: