New Owner with some questions [Archive] - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat

: New Owner with some questions

ravenv12
09-27-2006, 04:27 PM
I have a 95 dodge intrepid v6 3.3 With a 150k On it. I would like to know If it is a interference engine? When should the Timing Belt be replaced on These cars? the check engine light is on sometimes can I pull the codes myself without having a special tool If so Can someone point me to right direction where I can find the information on how to do it? I bought the car from my uncle He has never done any major work to the car sense he's owned it and a person before him never done any major work to the car either. The car runs and drives really good. My to do list
1. change oil and filter. changed Every 5k
2. Transmission filter and fluid. Never been changed :loser:
3. get the tires balance, Rotate, alinement
4. If I need to replace Timing Belt.Timing Belt, Timing Belt pulley, water pump,

Sorry if some of this stuff has been answered before But I did search last night. Hi Everyone! If there is any known issues with these cars I would like to know that to. Thanks

froggy81500
09-27-2006, 05:27 PM
To the best of my knowledge, it is an interference engine. And I think the typical timing belt service is around 100K miles. I know there is a "key dance" that we can do on the 2nd gen treps ('98-'04). Not sure on yours. Sooner or later someone with a 1st gen will chime in and answer the rest.

Tranny never been serviced. I've been told by a garage I trust that on a high mileage tranny that's never been serviced its better to leave it alone. Reason is that when flushing it, many times problems will surface afterward. I'm not a tranny guy so I don't know the full specifics of the internals and wearing and what not. All I know is I trust the mechanic we've been dealing with for the last 6 years and if he said its not a good idea I believe what he says.

CluelessinMO
09-27-2006, 05:29 PM
It has a timing chain, not a belt. As far as I know, there's no existing recommendation for when to change the chain. I have 207K on my 3.3 and haven't changed it.

froggy81500
09-27-2006, 05:39 PM
Wow, I thought all the 1st gen motors were timing belts. It is true that we learn something new everyday!

ravenv12
09-27-2006, 06:35 PM
I'm used to changing my timing belt every 50k on my other vehicles. if I change Transmission filter and fluid but don't do a complete flush Do you think that would be OK? The Transmission shifts really good. The fluid looks good. Thanks

mhzjunkie
09-27-2006, 06:52 PM
I'm used to changing my timing belt every 50k on my other vehicles. if I change Transmission filter and fluid but don't do a complete flush Do you think that would be OK? The Transmission shifts really good. The fluid looks good. Thanks

Yeah, I did mine that way. It holds four quarts ATF+3 transmission fluid. And make damn sure it's ATF+3, or ATF+4 fluid. You can obtain the codes by switching the key "ON" "OFF" "ON "OFF" "ON" and leave it in the on position, it will then begin to flash the codes byway of the Check Engine light. When I say turn the key "ON" I mean turn it to the position to where the dash lights light, not all the way to the start position. Incase I didn't explain it good, here's it explained by someone else....

1) Turn the ignition key on/off 3xs ending in the ON position
2) Watch the "CHECK ENGINE" light and see if it flashes.
3) If it flashes twice then pauses and flashes again another 4xs, that's a code 24, for example. You have put the computer in diagnostic mode and it will now display any codes that have been stored in memory.

ravenv12
09-27-2006, 08:16 PM
I receive the following codes 32, 14, code 14 is the 5 volt output to MAP sensor open Where is it located at

mhzjunkie
09-27-2006, 09:10 PM
I receive the following codes 32, 14, code 14 is the 5 volt output to MAP sensor open Where is it located at

It's located on the back of the intake plenum. Along side the EGR valve.

Meanings for the two codes on the paper i have say....

Code- 14 - MAP sensor voltage too low or too high.
Code- 32 - An open or shorted condition detected in the EGR transducer circuit.

I would fix the code 32 first, and see if maybe the code 14 went away. If not, I'd work on the code 14 last.

froggy81500
09-27-2006, 09:12 PM
It's located on the back of the intake plenum. Along side the EGR valve.

Meanings for the two codes on the paper i have say....

Code- 14 - MAP sensor voltage too low or too high.
Code- 32 - An open or shorted condition detected in the EGR transducer circuit.

I would fix the code 32 first, and see if maybe the code 14 went away. If not, I'd work on the code 14 last.

If the MAP and EGR are close together, is it possible that the wiring is common to both? Not the sensor wire itself, but the reference voltage and sensor ground? Perhaps a wiring issue is affecting both.

mhzjunkie
09-27-2006, 09:18 PM
If the MAP and EGR are close together, is it possible that the wiring is common to both? Not the sensor wire itself, but the reference voltage and sensor ground? Perhaps a wiring issue is affecting both.

Yeah, that's right. I was thinking the same thing while looking at those codes. The MAP and EGR are right side by side, behind the plenum. Could be possible they're both bad as well, but I'd still give the wires a good looking over.

ravenv12
09-28-2006, 12:16 AM
In the morning I will take a good look at it. there has been times I have Drive around from more than 30 minutes and the check engine like does not come on. It is completely random. My uncle bought the car from his sister in law. And the check engine Light was coming on than. My uncle said That his sister in law took the car to a shop and they had them look at it And they said there was nothing wrong with the car that the check engine light was faulty or something like that lol also my uncle said that he had someone take a look at it to. The funny thing is it was the same car shop lol. I've heard a popping sound twice coming from the driver's side front tire Since I've owned the car Anybody have a idea what that might be. I don't have anything to do tomorrow so I'm going to take a good look at everything and take the tires off.

FraTrepid
09-28-2006, 12:20 AM
Firstly, the 3.3L engine is a non-interference engine, whereas the 3.5L IS an interference engine.
Secondly, the spec for tranny fluid is now ATF+4, and if your local shop doesn't have it, or if you intend on doing it yourself, go by your dodge stealership and pick it up there.

JE.Electronics
09-28-2006, 04:06 PM
FALSE!

1st generation 3.5L IS NOT an interference engine, that is wrong information. Who is spreading these lies?!

All First generation engines 3.3L and 3.5L are NON-interference.

If it had been an interference engine, all of us 1G owners would need a new engine for everytime our timing belts snapped.
Raven, you are correct, Chrysler specifies about 60K interval on engine timing belt changes. But you have a chain.. so..

FraTrepid is correct about the ATF+4, It is an upgraded version of ATF+3 Type 7176 fluid, with improved fluidity and longevity properties. I only trust the stealer to get this though, but that's just a matter of supplier preference, hehe..

As far as EGR valve, I can help you with that. At that kinda mileage you need to replace it. You will experience very low MPGs if you don't - and - it will set off a Check Engine light, if it hasn't already.
The kit you buy [from a dealer] will come with a EGR valve and a EGR solenoid. (Disc-like looking plastic object sitting beside the intake manifold on the passenger side. It has tiny vacuum lines attached to it. That's where it is on 3.5L, but you have a 3.3L so I think it's in the back also..)

I paid $140 for that kit last time I did that job. It took me about 2 hours. (*on a 3.5L) 3.3s are easier though.

Here is a writeup on EGR: (Froggy is contributor also)
http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?t=60322&highlight=EGR

ravenv12
10-01-2006, 10:11 PM
hi Thanks for all the people that has posted. I still get very good MPGs. I'm going to Changed the Transmission fluid and filter Tomorrow because I'm having a problem with it now When it goes into O/D it makes a weird noises And the car shakes a little bit It doesn't do it all the time If I can't fix it I'm going to sell it should I do a complete flesh of the Transmission