adjusting drum brakes [Archive] - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat

: adjusting drum brakes

joe_mn
10-31-2006, 08:29 PM
I finally got around to doing the rear shoes on my trep. they were worn more on 1 side than the other but that was probably due to seized adjusting screws on the less worn side. I cleaned the adjuster threads and they both seemed to turn freely. i put on the shoes and and adjusted everything and took it for a ride and the pedal was real soft. i bled the rear and not much air came out. it still felt mushy. i drove it for 1 day and it seemed to get worse. real soft pedal. i took off the drums tonite and on 1 side, the adjuster screw was completely screwed in. the other side had 5-6 exposed threads on the adjuste screw. that seem way off. its almost like 1 side was screwing itself in, not out. i am not the 1st owner so perhaps the hardware got mixed up before. maybe instead of LH and RH hardware, i got LH on both sides? hmm, i will keep an eye on it.

froggy81500
10-31-2006, 09:30 PM
One thing you can do is find a good area where you can go in reverse for a short distance. While driving backwards, hit the brakes a few times, not coming to complete stop. The adjusters work when backnig up. the only issue with doing it this way, is there is the risk of overadjusting them and having one or both dragging. Been there done that.

Usually there is a plug on the backing plate so that you can adjust the star wheel.

joe_mn
11-02-2006, 07:17 AM
i bled all 4 wheels today and now it feels better. i actually have a hard brake pedal. maybe with functioning rear brakes, i will finally be able to stop in a decent distance now.