No More Excursion [Archive] - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat

: No More Excursion

Warlord187
07-30-2002, 06:02 PM
FYI...I just heard on the local news that MY2004 will be the last year for the Ford Excursion.

BowTieGuy
07-30-2002, 06:09 PM
Oh what a terrible loss. Let's everybody trade in our Treps and get one. NOT

viprman
07-30-2002, 06:32 PM
Good.

Axle
07-30-2002, 07:12 PM
I don't know, I personally loved the thing, bigger than a suburban, and the worst fuel economy by a long shot

Warlord187
07-30-2002, 07:18 PM
I won't miss the thing.

IntrepidXJ
07-30-2002, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by 95-TREP-3.5
I don't know, I personally loved the thing, bigger than a suburban, and the worst fuel economy by a long shot

i actually thought it had pretty decent fuel economy for it's size?

00ChryslerIntrepid
07-30-2002, 09:51 PM
I, too, am glad to see it go.

There should be a clause somewhere in the papers you sign when buying or leasing the thing that says:

"If you are going to be primarily the only person riding in this vehicle, purchase or lease of this vehicle is prohibited, due to it being the most significant and atrocious waste of a vehicle ever conceived. Please consider a smaller and more efficient vehicle."

I'm sorry, but there's the kind of "gee golly" stupid that we see every day... call it "garden variety stupidity" and then there's the "one person in the largest SUV - EVER!" kind of stupidity... which takes the cake. :rolleyes:

MikeW
07-30-2002, 10:08 PM
Maybe a new [Oil] Excursion will be coming out with Ford's new 6.0 Diesel V8 and 5 speed automatic.

Axle
07-30-2002, 10:33 PM
well, I still think the Hummer wagon is the most intimidating SUV ever

JGarrett911
07-30-2002, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Intrepid99

i actually thought it had pretty decent fuel economy for it's size?

Cant be any worse than the new Hummer H2's 10/14 mpg

p3
07-31-2002, 02:47 AM
I hate SUV's. Especially massive ones like that.

IntrepidXJ
07-31-2002, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by pimped3point3

you mean you wouldn't want an even bigger lawn ornament?

;)

EvilDeadFan
07-31-2002, 03:21 AM
I've actually drive 12 of those busses, err I mean Excursions.

Nicest one was the fully loaded v10 magnum engine one.

It was green, not so hot, but had a nice tan interior.

I took it into an abandoned canadian tire parking lot in orleans *suburb of Ottawa right near the dealership*
I was gassing it up for the boss, since it was his. Looked around for spectators, there were none, so I laid some tracks heh. Damn that thing has some high end torque in it :)

00ChryslerIntrepid
07-31-2002, 06:49 AM
The Excursion is, essentially, another testament to our need to build the biggest and the smallest of everything. While opinions on these creations vary, it is agreed upon that the need to build it is there.

Of course, most of the biggest things we've built are far more useful than most of the smallest things we've built, with the exception of computer-related technology.

The Excursion, OTOH, is useful....if you have a big family.... or haul around a LOT of stuff on a daily basis.

But, as I said, if you don't have a big family or don't haul a lot of stuff around all the time, and if you're commonly the only man/woman in it, you should not be allowed to own one. LoL... even the Expedition is much more reasonable.

alderran
07-31-2002, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by 00ChryslerIntrepid
The Excursion is, essentially, another testament to our need to build the biggest and the smallest of everything. While opinions on these creations vary, it is agreed upon that the need to build it is there.

Of course, most of the biggest things we've built are far more useful than most of the smallest things we've built, with the exception of computer-related technology.

The Excursion, OTOH, is useful....if you have a big family.... or haul around a LOT of stuff on a daily basis.

But, as I said, if you don't have a big family or don't haul a lot of stuff around all the time, and if you're commonly the only man/woman in it, you should not be allowed to own one. LoL... even the Expedition is much more reasonable.

The same argument could be made that if you drive around alone most of the time you don't need an Intrepid... For the size of the car the fuel economy is not bad but there are smaller cars with plenty of front seat but less back seat and trunk that get far greater fuel economy. Who are you to say "you should not be allowed to own one"...

Please don't get me wrong I hate those f**king thingsj too... a lot of the a-holes that buy them do it for intimidation purposes... Not everyone who drives an SUV is an asshole but every asshole owns a SUV... well maybe not that extreme but close.

BTW I am sure they will replace the Expedition with another SUV based on their full size pickup truck...

00ChryslerIntrepid
07-31-2002, 07:04 AM
Me being single and primarily the only one in my Intrepid is a far cry from me owning an Excursion. Not in the same ballpark.

I never said that owning an SUV was a horrible waste, but being the only person in the BIGGEST one ever built definitely is.

alderran
07-31-2002, 07:06 AM
BTW anyone here in favor of gas guzzler taxes? One of the problems US car companies face selling cars in other parts of the world is that the governments in some countries put gas guzzler taxes on any car that has greater than a 2.0L engine.

I don't think it should be based on engine size but I would be in favor of a tax on any vehicle whose overall fuel economy was less than 20mpg... I don't know why they haven't done that...

Actually I also wonder why the US govt doesn't force car manufactures to program their computer chips to govern the top speed of cars at something like 75mph. If I were them I would say hey this is the fastest speed limit in this country so you should not be selling vehicles that go faster than that... makes sense to me.

alderran
07-31-2002, 07:08 AM
Me being single and primarily the only one in my Intrepid is a far cry from me owning an Excursion. Not in the same ballpark.

I never said that owning an SUV was a horrible waste, but being the only person in the BIGGEST one ever built definitely is.

You are right Intrepids don't use as much gas as an Excursion... but still your driving an Intrepid instead of a Neon is a waste of gas... it's that simple ... did you ever hear the one about people in glass houses?

IntrepidXJ
07-31-2002, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by alderran
Actually I also wonder why the US govt doesn't force car manufactures to program their computer chips to govern the top speed of cars at something like 75mph. If I were them I would say hey this is the fastest speed limit in this country so you should not be selling vehicles that go faster than that... makes sense to me.

Since the US government removed the speed limits from all the interstates and allowed each state to set it's own limits, I don't think they'll be doing that anytime soon.

00ChryslerIntrepid
07-31-2002, 08:35 AM
I never said that a smaller car would not be a more efficient automobile for me to own. We all balance what we want with what we can afford to both pay for up-front and keep fueled.

Yes, I could easily get by with a smaller car. I don't want a smaller car. I do not understand, however, why someone would get an Excursion instead of an Expedition.... unless for the very few cases in which a vehicle of that size is necessary or makes sense.

Your point is accepted, alderran... and valid. However, I never said that what I'm doing is conserving gas. I'm simply saying that an Excursion is the biggest waste of gas. Don't twist what I say or assume anything else.

IntrepidXJ
07-31-2002, 08:42 AM

Also the fact that you can stilll drive as fast as you want on your own private property (assuming you own enough).

People legally race street cars everyday at tracks as well.....

GF's R/T
07-31-2002, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by pimped3point3

I'm with you P3P3. And it is true, 9 out of 10 times there is only one person in them and 99 times out of 100 they never go off road. Plus they don't fit in standard parking spaces. IMHO a big waste of resources.

-George

Warlord187
07-31-2002, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by EvilDeadFan

I took it into an abandoned canadian tire parking lot in orleans *suburb of Ottawa right near the dealership*
I was gassing it up for the boss, since it was his. Looked around for spectators, there were none, so I laid some tracks heh. Damn that thing has some high end torque in it :)

When did Ford start using Magnum engines???? :)

alderran
07-31-2002, 09:17 AM

Since the US government removed the speed limits from all the interstates and allowed each state to set it's own limits, I don't think they'll be doing that anytime soon.

I am just wondering why I never even heard a politician mention it....

alderran
07-31-2002, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Warlord187

When did Ford start using Magnum engines???? :)

And what does Magnum mean anyway? Actually some of the Ford engines are built on the planet Vulcan or something :)

alderran
07-31-2002, 09:20 AM
Would this work.... if manufacturers built in radio activated kill switches which the police could activate .... it would certainly save lives lost in police pursuits...

Warlord187
07-31-2002, 09:33 AM

I am just wondering why I never even heard a politician mention it....

Well, the simple fact is that although the states can set the speed limit to whatever they want, the federal government has said if you set your limits higher than this, we won't give you any federal money towards your roads and stuff. So really, who's calling the shots?

TehKing
07-31-2002, 09:34 AM

I think you mean Triton. :)

I wouldn't mind having one, then again, I am the type of person who would use it for its inteded person. Just make it a diesel please. :)

Warlord187
07-31-2002, 09:35 AM
Would this work.... if manufacturers built in radio activated kill switches which the police could activate .... it would certainly save lives lost in police pursuits...

For that reason, it would work. But you know some kids or someone will get their hands on a transmitter and sit along the hi-way "having fun" shutting down everyones' car.

alderran
07-31-2002, 09:58 AM

For that reason, it would work. But you know some kids or someone will get their hands on a transmitter and sit along the hi-way "having fun" shutting down everyones' car.

Wouldn't that be fun :)

MadTxn
07-31-2002, 11:25 AM
Well, I'm from Texas, and I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but I want a Yukon XL Denali. Yes, I'll be the only one in it most of the time (max of 5 people), and no, I don't haul a lot of stuff all the time, and no, I don't *intentionally* go off-road, nor would I in a Denali. But, I want one for some of the following reasons:
[list=1]
I feel safer in a larger car
The option is there if I want to take eight people with me and luggage
I'm from Texas
[/list=1]

BTW, anyone seen the Escalade ESV?

Tropicana400man
07-31-2002, 12:23 PM

Dude....The FORD v-10 is called a TRITON!

VISION1
07-31-2002, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Tropicana400man

Actually....GMs have a governer on theres, but that thing is so they cant peel out.
Actually... a 2001 Yukon XL does a mean smoke show. They do have a 95mph speed limiter on them. Take it from 1st hand experience, my father has one, and I've done it on more than one occasion.

Pepsi_24_fan
07-31-2002, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by JGarrett911

Cant be any worse than the new Hummer H2's 10/14 mpg

Actually Car and Driver Mag. tested the H2, and they said it gets 10 mpg City and 12 mpg Hwy, but it also has a 32 gallon tank to even the equation.

VISION1
07-31-2002, 04:39 PM
In real world testing, the Excusion w/ the V10Triton , gets under 10mpg, and has a 44 gal tank. It passes everything but a gas station:mg:

P.S See, It's easy to have a calm, relaxed conversation.
Right, OJ err.....I mean Pepsi_24_fan
;)

Pepsi_24_fan
07-31-2002, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by VISION1
In real world testing, the Excusion w/ the V10Triton , gets under 10mpg, and has a 44 gal tank. It passes everything but a gas station:mg:

P.S See, It's easy to have a calm, relaxed conversation.
Right, OJ err.....I mean Pepsi_24_fan
;)

Who?

viprman
07-31-2002, 06:43 PM
Just wait until gas hits about $4 / gallon. Then the value of those trucks will drop like a rock when you see them all sitting in used car lots. BTW, the SUV is a jacked up wagon. I thought wagons would never be cool again.

IntrepidXJ
07-31-2002, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by viprman
I thought wagons would never be cool again.

then you obviously haven't seen the chrysler pacifica :drool:

Axle
07-31-2002, 09:16 PM
yeh! that thing does not look good at all, but, that is just opinion, which does not mean much, the best wagons are those of german brands

IntrepidXJ
07-31-2002, 10:14 PM
the best wagons are those of german brands

...and DaimlerChrysler is.....

p3
07-31-2002, 10:54 PM
the best wagons are those of german brands

Radio Flyer?

LeeNYC
08-01-2002, 06:16 AM
It is no wonder those most conservation groups called the Excursion the "Ford Valdez".

It drives me nuts when I see a yuppie mom driving around our town in one of these rolling living rooms. Either she is the only passenger, or she has a kid strapped in the aft compartment. What a waste of sheet metal!

00ChryslerIntrepid
08-01-2002, 06:45 AM
Yup... that's annoying to me too, LeeNYC. As if she couldn't get that "command of the road" feeling or feel safe in an Expedition or Explorer (staying in the Ford family).

The reasons people typically buy SUV's (the command of the road feeling, the perception of safety, cargo hauling versatility, etc.) don't automatically make the Excursion the way to go.

I dare everyone who wants to get an Excursion to prove why they can't do everything they wanna do with an Expedition.. or other not-quite-as-big-as-the-Excursion SUVs.

The point is not that they want an SUV... that's just the way it is. The point is why they think that they have to have the biggest goddamn one available. :rolleyes:

alderran
08-01-2002, 06:50 AM
Everyone has a right to drive around in what ever the f**k they want... as I mentioned before an Intrepid is not the most economical car on the road. A lot of people on this board are single and spend most of their time in the Intrepid alone...

You are driving around in a glass house... so stop throwing stones ;)

SilverTreppy
08-01-2002, 07:00 AM
Shutup Alderran, someone should BAN you! **hint hint**

alderran
08-01-2002, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by SilverTreppy
Shutup Alderran, someone should BAN you! **hint hint**
For what???? defending everyone's right to drive around in what ever suits their needs...

That's totally offensive sorry SilverTreppy.... good day mate :)

SilverTreppy
08-01-2002, 07:29 AM
I just didn't like your last line :)

alderran
08-01-2002, 08:16 AM
They don't sell Dodge cars in New Zealand... either you are not from New Zealand or you don't have an Intrepid. You also seem to know way too much about existing members for me to believe you are a new member...

00ChryslerIntrepid
08-01-2002, 08:18 AM
We're not driving around in glass houses.... you're comparing apples to oranges.

Everyone can drive whatever vehicle they want.... nothing I have said here prevents that. I'm simply saying that what some people want is stupid... and that they are stupid for wanting it. That's my opinion... and that's the way it is. Nothing more, nothing less.

Avenger
08-01-2002, 08:20 AM
LMAO, I don't drive my house around, wait a second, maybe I do!!! :)

alderran
08-01-2002, 08:28 AM

Read your own post... you said "should not be allowed to own one"...

Avenger
08-01-2002, 08:30 AM
Man, FORD SUCKS ASS, shit soooooo many people I talk to say that exact statement, so I wonder why people still buy them???

alderran
08-01-2002, 08:38 AM
All automakers have good and bad cars.... I have seen good Fords and bad Fords... my mother had a 1985 Mercury Marquis... that car was solid just got rid of it last year with almost 200K miles.

Actually this thread is about Ford trucks and I have only heard good things about Ford trucks.

EvilDeadFan
08-01-2002, 09:03 AM
When I was picking up a customer from her house and driving her to the dealership I worked at (Jim Keay Ford-Lincoln, formerly Lincoln-Mercury), I of course loved talking to all the different people I met, which made the trip, sometimes a half hour drive in traffic in a large city seemingly go by quite fast.

Well this nice lady and a few kids were coming to pick up her Ford Windstar, an '00 I believe, and she had mentioned she heard of the size of the Expedition, and how it was big, but hadn't heard of it.

So I told her how big the Excursion was, and she didin't believe hat it was THAT big, so when pulling into the dealership, the boss had decided to give up his Excursion, and it was therefore in the used lot, just sitting there for like 3 months so far, so I pointed out towards a station wagon, and she said ok? I then mentioned it was a windstar like her own, she was like WOW! (the windstar in comparison side by side resembles a station wagon heh.)

Basicaly if you can imagine the size difference on how the Expedition is quite a bit larger than an explorer, well the Excursion is a step up from that :)

00ChryslerIntrepid
08-01-2002, 09:31 AM
My statement of "..should not be allowed to own one.." was, again, part of my opinion. You're taking it out of context.

IntrepidXJ
08-01-2002, 09:34 AM
Know what I'm gonna do? I'm gonna get myself a 1967 Cadillac El Dorado,
hot-fuckin'-pink, with whaleskin hubcaps and all-leather cow interior and big
brown baby seal eyes for headlights... yeah! And I'm gonna drive around in
that baby doing 115 miles an hour, getting 1 mile per gallon, suckin' down
quarter pound cheeseburgers from McDonald's in the old-fashioned non-
biodegradable Styrofoam containers... yeah! And when I'm done suckin' down
those grease ball burgers I'm gonna toss the Styrofoam containers right
out the side, and there ain't a goddamn thing anybody can do about it. You know why?
Because we got the bombs, that's why... yeah! Two words--nuclear fuckin'
weapons, OK? Russia, Czechoslovakia, Romania, they can have all the
democracy they want...they can have a democracy cakewalk right through the
middle of Tienamen Square and it won't make a lick of fuckin' difference,
because we got the bombs, OK? John Wayne's not dead--he's frozen! And when we find
a cure for cancer, we're gonna thaw out the Duke and he's gonna be pretty pissed
off. You know why? You ever taken a cold shower? Well, multiply that by 15
million times--that's how pissed off the Duke's gonna be. I'm gonna get the
Duke and John Casavetti and Sam Peckinpaw and a case of fuckin' whisky and
drive...

Just replace "cadillac el dorado" with "ford excursion"

EvilDeadFan
08-01-2002, 09:38 AM
God bless Dennis Leary :)

alderran
08-01-2002, 09:38 AM
or with keep it in the Cadillac family replace el-dorado with "Escalade"

TehKing
08-01-2002, 09:47 AM
I dare everyone who wants to get an Excursion to prove why they can't do everything they wanna do with an Expedition.. or other not-quite-as-big-as-the-Excursion SUVs.

I can't comfortable fit 10 people in an Explorer or an Expedition. My wife comes from a pretty big family (5 kids) and when we go on vacation, we usually take it together. That makes 7 of ou (3 in my family, and my in-laws and their two kids that still live at home). Plus, Amanda, my 12 year old sister-in-law always likes to bring along a friend or two, so that brings the count to 9.

Throw in the dog, and voila. Just enough room for the whole brood.

00ChryslerIntrepid
08-01-2002, 09:54 AM
LoL... well then I guess the Excursion is for you, LHSer. :)

If only the people who actually need that much space bought them I'd be happy.

On the other hand, you could probably fit everyone and everything you need into one of VW's new vans.... with much better gas mileage.

VISION1
08-01-2002, 09:55 AM
That's why they make those huge 9-10 pass vans.
Bring along the whole famn Damily:bigsmile:

IntrepidXJ
08-01-2002, 09:59 AM
IT'S ALL A BUNCH OF TREE-HUGGIN' HIPPIE CRAP!

http://www.comedycentral.com/images/a4/tvshows/sp/sp_cartman-a4.jpg

IntrepidXJ
08-01-2002, 10:00 AM

yeah, but why in the hell would you want to be seen driving one of those?

alderran
08-01-2002, 10:01 AM
If only the people who actually need that much space bought them I'd be happy.

Why do you keep saying stuff like that... the people who buy them could care less if you are happy about it.

alderran
08-01-2002, 10:04 AM

I want a school bus ;)

00ChryslerIntrepid
08-01-2002, 10:04 AM

Why do you keep saying stuff like that... the people who buy them could care less if you are happy about it.

Obviously! I never said they should care. And, really, I couldn't care less what they buy. It's their money... they can waste it as they see fit.

VISION1
08-01-2002, 10:07 AM

yeah, but why in the hell would you want to be seen driving one of those?

ha ha, your right. But they do suit a sole purpose, to transport alot of people. No thrill, just get in and go point A to point B.

I've seen a couple of Excursions lifted w/ like 38" tires.
Holy Shit, did they look mean.

Pepsi_24_fan
08-01-2002, 12:52 PM
Everyone has a right to drive around in what ever the f**k they want... as I mentioned before an Intrepid is not the most economical car on the road. A lot of people on this board are single and spend most of their time in the Intrepid alone...

You are driving around in a glass house... so stop throwing stones ;)

Well, see the thing is; there are more SUV to choose from now days...Why by the biggest one?....simple...status! There is no reason anyone should need anything that big unless they use it as a camper. And what bugs me is that they buy them here for the winter.......Ok its 4 wheel drive it'll get you around in the snow, but has anyone thought that compacted snow makes Ice,and no matter if you have a 4 wheel drive or a 2 wheel drive you are still going to slide. 2 winters ago I saw 18 cars in the ditch one day while going to work.......all of them SUVs and majority of them EXPEDITIONS and EXPLORERES! Because of the fact that people think if they have an SUV they can drive the speed limit or faster in Icy Conditions. DUH YOU HAVE TO STOP!

VISION1
08-01-2002, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Pepsi_24_fan

Well, see the thing is; there are more SUV to choose from now days...Why by the biggest one?....simple...status! There is no reason anyone should need anything that big unless they use it as a camper. And what bugs me is that they buy them here for the winter.......Ok its 4 wheel drive it'll get you around in the snow, but has anyone thought that compacted snow makes Ice,and no matter if you have a 4 wheel drive or a 2 wheel drive you are still going to slide. 2 winters ago I saw 18 cars in the ditch one day while going to work.......all of them SUVs and majority of them EXPEDITIONS and EXPLORERES! Because of the fact that people think if they have an SUV they can drive the speed limit or faster in Icy Conditions. DUH YOU HAVE TO STOP!

You hit the nail on the head:D

Pepsi_24_fan
08-01-2002, 01:06 PM

You hit the nail on the head:D

Warlord187
08-01-2002, 01:36 PM
People can drive whatever they want to. But when gas prices soar and it cost the people who drive Excursions, Yukon XL, etc $150 or more to fill their gas tanks, I don't want to hear ANY bitching from them people about it!!

GF's R/T
08-01-2002, 01:54 PM
People can drive whatever they want to. But when gas prices soar and it cost the people who drive Excursions, Yukon XL, etc $150 or more to fill their gas tanks, I don't want to hear ANY bitching from them people about it!!

Why do you think gas prices are kept artifically low in this country? Gas goes up 50 cents per gallon and every one screams bloody murder!! Well not everyone ;).

-George

Warlord187
08-01-2002, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by GF's R/T

Why do you think gas prices are kept artifically low in this country? Gas goes up 50 cents per gallon and every one screams bloody murder!! Well not everyone ;).

-George

With the technology we have today we shouldn't be driving cars that require gas. If car makers were to be pushed to develope cars that run on clean fuels we would have them. The truth is that the oil industry lobby is so huge, that the government would never push for cars that run on clean fuel.

The oil lobby pisses me off. :mad: :mad: :mad:

00ChryslerIntrepid
08-01-2002, 02:25 PM
Thankfully, the oil lobby's days are numbered. We're dealing with a finite resource. Either they will change and develop new fuel types or they will dry up... just like the oil they got started on.

Pepsi_24_fan
08-01-2002, 05:10 PM

Obviously! I never said they should care. And, really, I couldn't care less what they buy. It's their money... they can waste it as they see fit.

Well if you couldnt care less....why are you BITCHING about it?

00ChryslerIntrepid
08-01-2002, 06:03 PM
There's a difference between bitching and expressing an opinion. And that's exactly what I am doing... expressing my opinion.

Whether anyone likes it or not is irrelevant. The same goes for everyone else's opinions as well.

I'm reminded of a quote: "Polite conversation is seldom either" -Fran Lebowitz.

And besides... I'm an American. If I'm good at anything it's mouthing off! :D

Pepsi_24_fan
08-01-2002, 06:11 PM
There's a difference between bitching and expressing an opinion. And that's exactly what I am doing... expressing my opinion.

Whether anyone likes it or not is irrelevant. The same goes for everyone else's opinions as well.

I'm reminded of a quote: "Polite conversation is seldom either" -Fran Lebowitz.

Well in that case.....That is exactly what some people were doing and they got kicked off.....why is that any different than what your doing.

Warlord187
08-01-2002, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Pepsi_24_fan

Well in that case.....That is exactly what some people were doing and they got kicked off.....why is that any different than what your doing.

I don't see him making racist comments, calling people names left and right, nor being a complete jerk.

Pepsi_24_fan
08-01-2002, 06:30 PM

I don't see him making racist comments, calling people names left and right, nor being a complete jerk.

What racist comments did he make?

DMAG
08-01-2002, 06:31 PM

They actually already have this in many rental cars.

Here's one brand that offers it:

See Vector Trak a couple paragraphs down (http://www.pegtech.com/Tips.htm)

viprman
08-01-2002, 07:10 PM
I think people should get rid of the large SUV's. The small ones are fine. The larger SUV has no purpose except for extreme circumstances. Certain occupations or people in particular geographic regions. Like up here in WI, everyone and their brother has a big SUV. It snows maybe 2-3 weeks a year. Other than that they are purely pavement dwellers.

Let people buy what they want. If they don't want to be "different" (eh, eh??) than they can conform by buying those stupid things.

I admit I wanted one at one time too. But it was a unique vehicle that isn't currently seen very often. The Jeep Grand Wagoneer. I wanted to buy one for my winter vehicle but the bank wouldn't back the loan on a 10 year old vehicle. So, I got the Trep. Looking back on it, it was a waaaayy better decision. I use the Trep 25K miles a year and that SUV wouldn't handle that, especially with my fuel budget.