2.7 PCV system [Archive] - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat

: 2.7 PCV system

casey
09-30-2007, 02:52 PM
Hello to all. Does any one know when Chrysler started using the heat exchanger in the PCV line as shown in the "Is your 2.7 burning oil" sticky on page 4, post # 56? I have a 98 and a 03 and neither one has it. Wondering if this is part of the sludge fix. There is an upgrade for the windage tray and oil pickup tube but I don't know if it has any thing to do with the sludge fix. Both of my 2.7's have had not one problem but I would like to keep it that way. It would be nice if there was a list of upgrades but it seems to be a nuclear secret. I have a lifetime friend who is a parts manager at a Dodge dealer and all he can pry out of anyone is that it was a crankcase ventilation problem. Is that what the fix was for all the toyota and vw's? I'm sure we would all like to know.

froggy81500
09-30-2007, 03:00 PM
Somewhere around 2001. My old 2001 SE had a build date of August 2000 and had one. To best of my knowledge, the, 98 and '99 didn't have them and the 2000 I am unsure of. Even if you don't have one, it can be retrofitted relatively easy.

casey
09-30-2007, 03:09 PM
I should have stated the 03 is a Sebring. It does not have a exchanger either. Of course the engine is transverse mounted but that should'nt be a factor although there is some sort of valve[?] on the power brake vacuum line that is tied to the fresh air vent line to the rear valve cover. I looked in the Chrysler shop manual and it didn't show it.

deadtrep
09-30-2007, 08:59 PM
got a 99 trep 2.7 with a coolant line running right through a bottle for the pcv

casey
09-30-2007, 11:11 PM
Any chance your cars were for northern climates? Canada? I'm in New Jersey.

DrDodge
09-30-2007, 11:15 PM
I belive the heat exchanger on the 2.7 was a intrepid only thing, my 2000 with a build date of 11-99 had one, as far as the transverse mounted 2.7's ive never seen one on them,

Fearless 2000
09-30-2007, 11:53 PM
I have one and mine was built 4/00.

MegaTrep
10-01-2007, 04:18 PM
My 2000 Intrepid has it. On my mom's 2002 Sebring w/ the 2.7l the PCV line is just rubber that is wrapped in foam. Also, there is no line going from the coolant tank to the PCV valve.

froggy81500
10-01-2007, 04:56 PM
What I find odd is what difference would it make if its longitudinally mounted like in the LH's or transverse like in the Sebring/Stratus? Unless they made the sludge corrections to the transverse block so it didn't need the heat exchanger?

casey
10-01-2007, 07:51 PM
I really want to know what changes were made to fix the problem. My 98 Trep has been great. Had the valve covers off last year and there was no sludge. I do have the exhaust valve seal issue now at 91,000 miles. I'm going to fix it soon and I want to replace the chains, guides, tensioner, water pump, oil pump and what ever else I can think of. The new windage tray and oil pick up tube is on the list also. If we can find out all the changes that were made through the years we could incorporate them into our repairs. Its a shame they stopped making them. I would buy another.

MegaTrep
10-01-2007, 10:31 PM
I really want to know what changes were made to fix the problem. My 98 Trep has been great. Had the valve covers off last year and there was no sludge. I do have the exhaust valve seal issue now at 91,000 miles. I'm going to fix it soon and I want to replace the chains, guides, tensioner, water pump, oil pump and what ever else I can think of. The new windage tray and oil pick up tube is on the list also. If we can find out all the changes that were made through the years we could incorporate them into our repairs. Its a shame they stopped making them. I would buy another.

I think that they have a new oil pan that holds 1 more quart which is supposed to slow sludge formation. BTW they are still making 2.7l's. They are the base engines in the LX cars. In the LX cars the 2.7l was detuned by
10-15 horsepower.

casey
10-02-2007, 09:07 AM
Your right, they are making 2.7's. What I meant was I wish they still made the Intrepid. That car gets around 31-32 mpg on the interstate and my Sebring has gotten 34. You can't ask for more from a car that is big enough to hide a ricer in the trunk. :grinyes:

Mad Monkey
10-03-2007, 12:34 PM
I think that they have a new oil pan that holds 1 more quart which is supposed to slow sludge formation. BTW they are still making 2.7l's. They are the base engines in the LX cars. In the LX cars the 2.7l was detuned by
10-15 horsepower.

I could be wrong, but I believe they sacrificed horsepower but increased torque or maybe they tuned the torque band better for everyday driving in those heavier models. "Detuned" doesn't quite sum up it up.

Just to make sure I wasn't talking out of my @ss, this is from Allpar.
Chrysler 2.7 and 3.2 liter V6 engine specifications
In 2004, the 2.7 liter engine was modified for the LX series to produce more low-speed torque at launch and during mid-range operation for strong performance in everyday driving. The engine produces 190 hp at 6400 rpm, and 190 lb.-ft. of torque at 4000 rpm, and it offers good fuel economy for a vehicle of its size. This was done by using a new active dual-plenum intake manifold that is tuned for improved low-speed torque. In addition, the manifold includes a manifold tuning valve that further adds to low-speed torque during both part-throttle and wide-open throttle operation. This valve increases part-throttle torque by eight-10 percent in the primary driving range of 2100 to 3400 rpm, giving better performance in normal driving.

invaliddata
10-03-2007, 01:34 PM
If anyone cares, I think the new 2.7's are also flex fuel (capable of running up to E85).

MegaTrep
10-05-2007, 04:21 PM
I could be wrong, but I believe they sacrificed horsepower but increased torque or maybe they tuned the torque band better for everyday driving in those heavier models. "Detuned" doesn't quite sum up it up.

Just to make sure I wasn't talking out of my @ss, this is from Allpar.
Chrysler 2.7 and 3.2 liter V6 engine specifications
In 2004, the 2.7 liter engine was modified for the LX series to produce more low-speed torque at launch and during mid-range operation for strong performance in everyday driving. The engine produces 190 hp at 6400 rpm, and 190 lb.-ft. of torque at 4000 rpm, and it offers good fuel economy for a vehicle of its size. This was done by using a new active dual-plenum intake manifold that is tuned for improved low-speed torque. In addition, the manifold includes a manifold tuning valve that further adds to low-speed torque during both part-throttle and wide-open throttle operation. This valve increases part-throttle torque by eight-10 percent in the primary driving range of 2100 to 3400 rpm, giving better performance in normal driving.

Sorry, you're right that it was not "detuned" per se. Just tuned differently.

casey
10-06-2007, 11:26 PM
10-15 horsepower.

No on the new oil pan. My 98 owners manual says 5.5 qts with filter. Thats a bit of oil for a modern car. My friend, the Dodge parts manager said if there was a new higher capacity pan there would be a addemdem to paste into your owners manual with the new capacity. "addemdem" is that a word?:smiley_ab

peva
10-07-2007, 12:17 PM
No on the new oil pan. My 98 owners manual says 5.5 qts with filter. Thats a bit of oil for a modern car. My friend, the Dodge parts manager said if there was a new higher capacity pan there would be a addemdem to paste into your owners manual with the new capacity. "addemdem" is that a word?:smiley_abNo - but there is a word "addendum". :)

I disagree with your friend. They may have put a bigger pan on the LX car 2.7's. That pan may not fit our cars (might fit the engine, but not clear the frame, or may not provide enough gound clearance). Proof in the pudding would be to have him check the oil pan part number for the LX and for the Intrepid - see if they're the same.

casey
10-07-2007, 01:06 PM
I'm a dumb ass. I spell checked that word and still copied it wrong. I will check the part numbers and post them.