This Is Driving Me CRAZY!!! [Archive] - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat

: This Is Driving Me CRAZY!!!

da1foyou
08-15-2002, 01:41 PM
:eek:
The previous owner of my car must didn't dry the windows after they washed the car. There are what seem to be permenent water spots on my windows. I've washed the car 4 times now, paying extra attention to the windows. I've used everything just about on them, and still no change. Does anybody have any ideas that will help this situation. I'm trying to steer clear of buying a bottle of cleaner that costs $8 and it doesn't work either.

dbaudiopro
08-15-2002, 01:48 PM
This sounds crazy, but it works. Try buying some very, very (emphasis on VERY) fine steel wool at the local hardware store. Make sure you use plenty of Windex (or other window cleaner) for lubrication and buff the windows clean. It should remove any bugs, water spots, road film, etc. from your windows. After cleaning them try putting a thin film of car wax on them. This will help keep them clean and water sheds right off (very similar effect as RainX)...

philsummers21
08-15-2002, 05:11 PM
Yep I was going to say the same thing but db beat me to it. Let me add one thing, make sure it is the FINEST steel wool you can find.

Snorton Norton
08-15-2002, 05:30 PM
I bet $10 that this $40 auto glass polishing product would take care of that problem lickity split:

http://www.properautocare.com/glaspolkit.html

And if it don't you'll only be out $30... :wink:

dbaudiopro
08-15-2002, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Snorton Norton
I bet $10 that this $40 auto glass polishing product would take care of that problem lickity split:

http://www.properautocare.com/glaspolkit.html

And if it don't you'll only be out $30... :wink: Only problem is it requires a $100+ polisher. Of course you and I already have one so we're good to go... :D

Snorton Norton
08-15-2002, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by dbaudiopro
Only problem is it requires a $100+ polisher. Of course you and I already have one so we're good to go... :D

Well, okay, make that $160 and $150, respectively... :wink:

As a matter of fact db, UPS just dropped mine off less than an hour ago. Haven't even opened it up yet. Just like Christmas! Now I'm just waiting for the pads...

QuickSilver
08-15-2002, 10:31 PM
I'd be inclined to buy the $8 bottle of window polish. It has a mild abrasive, almost like jewellers rouge, that will not etch your glass no matter how hard you try. The problem with steel wool, even the fine stuff, is that it's hard to guarantee you won't scratch your glass. You'll notice it as soon as you drive into your first sunset. $8 vs. $$$$ for new glass. Hmmmm. Buy the polish and use a random orbital buffer... it'll come out perfect.

Brian

EvilDeadFan
08-15-2002, 11:27 PM
Take the time to scrub with that finest of the fine steel wool as well, You don't want to put too much muscle into it, or you'll see a bigger problem than just simple water spots ;)

dbaudiopro
08-16-2002, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by QuickSilver
I'd be inclined to buy the $8 bottle of window polish. It has a mild abrasive, almost like jewellers rouge, that will not etch your glass no matter how hard you try. The problem with steel wool, even the fine stuff, is that it's hard to guarantee you won't scratch your glass. You'll notice it as soon as you drive into your first sunset. $8 vs. $$$$ for new glass. Hmmmm. Buy the polish and use a random orbital buffer... it'll come out perfect.

Brian Very fine steel wool is typically less abrasive than the tough polishes that professional window replacement copanies use. However, the polish will break down whereas the steel wool won't. If you use plenty of Windex for lubrication and don't push it into the glass as hard as you can it should cause any problems.

But I agree that the glass polish kit is probably the better way. It's just not cost effective for a lot of people...

da1foyou
08-16-2002, 12:59 AM
I'll take all this info. in, and wash the car again tomorrow morning. I'll let you know how it went.

da1foyou
08-16-2002, 08:26 PM
I didn't have the heart to use the steel wool, i guess i'll be buying that pricey window cleaner.

RapidTransit
08-20-2002, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by da1foyou
I didn't have the heart to use the steel wool, i guess i'll be buying that pricey window cleaner.

Try this first! Several handfuls of crushed ice. Rub it on as hard as you want, it won't damage your glass, but the sharp ice crystals scour off a lot of crap. Use as much as it takes, it's cheap. We use it on our glass coffee urn all the time. Cleans it right up! :bigsmile:

RiCeDoUt
08-20-2002, 08:25 PM
This may also sound dumb but dab lighter fluid on a rag and try rubbing it in. Make sure you wipe it off with water afterward though.

KOZ
08-20-2002, 09:56 PM
Try vinegar....is an acid. The window can suffer no damage from that.

-KOZ

INTREPER
08-20-2002, 10:20 PM
I use a clay bar with lubricant. You can find a kit from meguiars. After doing your windows you can do your car with it and kill 2 birds with one clay bar :bigsmile:

MorrowLess
08-22-2002, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by dbaudiopro
try putting a thin film of car wax on them. This will help keep them clean and water sheds right off (very similar effect as RainX)...

I rode in a car in the rain and the windshield look like crap. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with it....then the owner finally piped up, "the idiots at the dealership must've waxed the window when waxing the car. I hate it when they do that." That convinced me to keep all car wax away from my windshield.