Do I have security alarm system equipped on my car?? [Archive] - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat

: Do I have security alarm system equipped on my car??

DKnight
01-02-2008, 11:27 PM
I am in Canada and have a 2004 Chrysler intrepid which was pre-owned. The thing confusing me is that I don’t know if I have an anti-theft alarm module installed on my car.

On the owner’s manual, “the set light on the top of the instrument panel will flash rapidly for 16 seconds. This shows that the system is arming.”, unfortunately, this doesn’t happen when I lock the door with my keyless transmitter (doors, trunk, everything is locked). BUT, I DO have a light on the top of the instrument panel and it DOES flash when I start the engine.

So anyone has any idea what’s going on here?

By the way, is there a way to find out what optional modules are installed on an intrepid?

Thanks.

Fearless 2000
01-02-2008, 11:37 PM
What light flashes? What does it look like?

DKnight
01-03-2008, 02:41 AM
What light flashes? What does it look like?

OMG, I just realized that there is NO such thing on dodge intrepid’s dashboard. :crying5::crying5:
Anyway, here are 2 pictures showing what and where it is (in red circle).

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m279/Dreamy_Knight/Intrepid/IMG_7642.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m279/Dreamy_Knight/Intrepid/IMG_7640.jpg

peva
01-03-2008, 08:47 AM
That light thingy has the alarm LED *and* the sun sensor for ATC. It may have been added when someone converted it to ATC, and only the sun sensor is used. One of my Concordes is like that since I added ATC.

I do believe they come from the factory with ATC but without alarm too - which I believe is the case with my other Concorde - which has that light thing and ATC, and AFAIK no alarm.

RCE2WIN
01-03-2008, 09:21 AM
My brother's '98 has the alarm feature and that LED blinks when it's armed. Especially noticable in the dark obviously. My '02 doesn't have the alarm or the sun sensor, therefor no "thingy" on the dash. If you want to test it, put the window down, lock the car, then reach in and open the door from the inside. If you have an alarm, it will go off then.

DKnight
01-03-2008, 10:07 PM
thank you guys. but I don't have ATC (Automatic Temperature Control?) system (I think), I need to do everything manually, like turn on/off AC, fan, adjust temperature... just like what you can see on the dashboard in the picutres.
I am a new driver, sorry if my words sound silly.

any other information? thanks.

NHogan
01-03-2008, 10:51 PM
If thats your car in the picture then you do not have the ATC. Heres what you do follow these:

1 Roll down all windows.
2 Lock the car with key pad
3 Open the door and if there is an alarm it will go off.

Does the light flash on the dash when you lock the door? Maybe the alarm (speaker) is out?

SAT098
01-04-2008, 10:28 AM
My car began its life as a 2004 SE.

TFC and I replace the BCM when my interior lights would come on when the door was opened.

and lo and behold.... I have the factory alarm.... I believe it to be associated with the BCM. and may be programmable if you know someone with the DRBIII tool.

Whereabouts are you located?

DKnight
01-04-2008, 10:44 PM
If thats your car in the picture then you do not have the ATC. Heres what you do follow these:

1 Roll down all windows.
2 Lock the car with key pad
3 Open the door and if there is an alarm it will go off.

Does the light flash on the dash when you lock the door? Maybe the alarm (speaker) is out?

No, it’s not my car, they are from the internet but I can see no difference, the dashboard is exactly same with mine.

I just did the test by following the instructions. I opened the door but nothing happened.
However, the theft alarm light on top of the dashboard will illuminate for about 2 seconds when I turn the key to ON position, just like what other LEDs do on the instrument cluster. And then, the light will be off and never come on again even if I lock everything.

My car began its life as a 2004 SE.
Whereabouts are you located?
I am in Toronto.

nyborg
11-29-2008, 07:11 PM
Would also like some info...Canadian cars only?..I have an 01 se..no atc but does have the sun sensor on the dash....AND...a small led right about where the trac control button would be..!

inthetundra
11-29-2008, 08:18 PM
What the heck does the sun sensor have to do with the ATC? I thought it is dual purpose, for the automatic headlights and the VTSS (Vehicle Theft Security System), not the temperature in the car.

Bobby112
11-29-2008, 08:26 PM
So I have a 2001 dodge intrepid and have installed the atc and a sun senor for auto headlights can I as well install the alarm?? If so how? My sun senor does not flash at all does this mean im not equiped with an alarm?

inthetundra
11-29-2008, 08:30 PM
If you installed the sun sensor your car didn't come with VTSS. What color is your ignition key? Ross installed it in mine, but we changed the BCM to one that had the VTSS module. We also had to change the ignition cylinder to use the key that was chipped to match the VTSS module. I could have just taped the chipped key to the module, but that kind of defeats part of its purpose. Now I have a seperate key for the doors and ignition.

Bobby112
11-29-2008, 08:39 PM
the key is black so what can I do to get a stock alarm or would it be easier just to install an aftermaket one

concordefreak
11-29-2008, 08:44 PM
You do NOT have the factory alarm enabled on the car.

As someone said below, it is base on the BCM (body control module), you can swap this out from a 300M but the only problem is that your milage is stored on the BCM, so you will have a new milage reading. I highly doubt that your car can have the alarm enabled with your current BCM, since I could not do it with my father's 02 ES.

Also to all those thinking that the sun sensor is only there for ATC or VTSS, it has to do with headlamp features for lower models. The car will usually ding if its dark out if you do not enable your lights, maybe a Canadian only thing since we have DRL's.

Bobby112
11-29-2008, 08:50 PM
What does the sun sensor do for the ATC and the VTSS

inthetundra
11-29-2008, 08:59 PM
If you have the black key you don't have it. The key for the alarm is a gray chipped key.Swapping the BCM isn't a big deal and your actual milage can be put into the new BCM with the DRBIII. Ross was still trying to figure out how to do it.

inthetundra
11-29-2008, 09:00 PM
For the VTSS it has the small red light that blinks when the the security system is armed, As far as I know it doesn't have anything to do with the ATC unless it is also a temperature sensor, that I don't know. I don't think it is because there are cars that don't have ATC and have sun sensors.

Bobby112
11-29-2008, 09:21 PM
O ok so if I install the alarmed system I would need to install the key with the chip in it does anyone know where I get one? Can I just pull an igintion with a key from the yard with the bcm?

inthetundra
11-29-2008, 09:30 PM
I think you can. The BCM, the key and the VTSS module. The way Ross explained it, you don't need to change the cylinder, you can just tape the key to the module. I preferred to get the cylinder and use the chipped key. I was lucky, mine came with two keys, they are not cheap. Check with TFC to make sure if you need this stuff from a specific year for your car and to make sure it will work.

Bobby112
11-29-2008, 09:35 PM
I have always wanted an alarm, im not too worried about having a different key for the doors if that is the case because I always use the remote. It wouldnt be a bad traded off at all.

inthetundra
11-30-2008, 02:02 AM
For years most cars had a different key for the doors or trunk anyway, thats how it was when I was growing up so it didn't bother me.

furyman67
11-30-2008, 10:00 PM
here is an easy way to find out what options you have on your car, go to a dealer ask the servie department to run a VIP report for your vin and print out the vehicle options page
all you need is the last 8 of the VIN and the current mileage. They should be more than happy to do this for you.
I did this all the time for customers when I was a service advisor
Tom

Ralor
03-23-2009, 04:39 PM
I have the same LED on my dash of my 2002 ES. I have the chipped key for the Sentry Key Immobilizer System (SKIS), but no alarm. I've gone to 2 different Chrysler dealerships and spoke to "Homer Simpson" at the parts desk. BOTH times ... "dohhhhh - I don't show anything in the system for that model, it must be aftermarket. Your option list doesn't show it."

C'mon guys, it is right on page "XX" of the users manual for Pete's sake!!! (I say "XX" 'cause I don't have it here with me, but I did show Homer).

Why don't the goofs at the parts desk know this, or can't figure it out?

========================================
Here it is straight from the Service Manual - Chapter 8Q:

VEHICLE THEFT SECURITY SYSTEM

The Vehicle Theft Security System (VTSS) is designed to protect against whole vehicle theft. The system monitors vehicle doors, deck lid key cylinder, and ignition action for unauthorized operation. The alarm activates:
- Sounding of the horn
- Flashing of the park and tail lamps
- Flashing of the headlamps
- An engine kill feature (without SKIS)

The Sentry Key Immobilizer System (SKIS) uses the Vehicle Theft Security System VTSS) indicator LED to give an indication when the SKIS is faulty or when the vehicle has been immobilized due to the use of an invalid ignition key. The LED is controlled by the BCM based upon messages received from the Sentry Key Immobilizer Module (SKIM). The VTSS/SKIS indicator LED is hard wired directly to the BCM.

The SKIM can also send messages to the BCM to flash the LED and to generate a single audible chime tone. These functions serve as an indication to the customer that the SKIS has been placed in its “Customer Learn” programming mode. See Sentry Key Immobilizer System Transponder Programming in this section for more information on the “Customer
Learn” programming mode.

The VTSS indicator LED is housed in the Automatic Temperature Control (ATC) Sun Sensor located in the instrument panel top cover. Refer to Group 8E - Instrument Panel and Systems for service of ATC Sun Sensor. If the VTSS indicator LED comes on and
stays on after the bulb test function, diagnosis of the SKIS should be performed with a DRBIIIt scan tool and the proper Body Diagnostic Procedures Manual.

SENTRY KEY IMMOBILIZER SYSTEM

The Sentry Key Immobilizer System (SKIS) is designed to provide passive (NOTE: PASSIVE - no alarms) protection against unauthorized vehicle use by preventing the engine from operating. The components of this system are the Sentry Key Immobilizer Module (SKIM) (Fig. 1), Body Control Module (BCM), Sentry Key transponder, VTSS indicator LED, and the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

The SKIM is installed on the steering column near the ignition lock cylinder. The transponder is located under the molded rubber cap on the head of the ignition key. The VTSS indicator LED is located in the instrument panel top cover.

TRIGGERING THE VTSS
Any of the following
actions will trigger the system:
(1) Opening any door.
(2) Removing the deck lid lock cylinder.
(3) Turning the ignition to the ON position.
Using the power door switch or the keyless transmitter will arm the system.
CAUTION: The VTSS indicator LED will trigger and engine will continue to run if the vehicle is equipped with SKIS and the proper key is used to start the vehicle. This condition will occur if the VTSS has been triggered.

NOTE: The ignition switch can be turned to the accessory position without triggering alarm system

The electronics for the VTSS are part of the Body Control Module (BCM). The system is armed when the vehicle is locked using the:
- Power door lock switches
- Remote Keyless Entry transmitter.
- Door Cylinder Lock Switches.

========================================

So, the question is; I have SKIS, do I have to buy a new BCM (or used) to get VTSS? Can I buy a simple module to add it? For how much?

After market VTSS run as low as $149!

Ralor