DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

I want to install a 2nd gen trans into my 1st gen ,,, plz help me

3K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  iGaRaai90 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone .

A problem with the transmission !
A problem with the transmission ! PART TWO

After all I think that the best thing is to remove the trans and install a 2nd gen trans.

I found two threads here talking about this:

Install a 1998-2004 intrepid transmission into your 1993-1997 intrepid (discussion)
94 Transmission transplant with a 2003

The first one doesn't have pictures at all, and I didn't understand from both of them :( .

I really don't know anything about mechanical stuff, so please help me with my issue. I need a lot of explanation and details and pics. And I don't know any of the terms that you use here in this forum, so explain every single term and detail.

Here we have a lot of 2nd gen concordes in junk yards, so I think that I can take a trans from one of them.

I know I'm asking a lot, but I really wish that you help me and my intrepid to stay on roads, and save an intrepid from getting thrown in a junk yard .

Thank you very much :(.

See less See more
#4 ·
Buy a 2000+ trans, they are much better. The 2.7 trans has 3.89s better for perfomance. A hydraulic lift is handy (I love mine) need an assortment of metric sockets, wrenches, impacts, torque wrenches, etc... Wasnt that hard for me, but I have the tools, and the nice place to do it...

#5 · (Edited)
I call BS on that. It was hard enough. Just have a friend or two helping you so they can have fun and help you stay sane while working on it. Over all it is easier than it looks but you just have to have some patients while doing it. Honestly I would go buy one of the manuals at the store if you have no knowledge on doing this. Will at least help you take it out and get it back in. Basically you have to take one plug that is different and switch it over in the exact order it is already in. Then take the rear cover off the tranny and swap it. When you take it out you will understand why. Make sure you seal it when you do with gasket maker. then drill a hole for the top hole. Again you will see why. Then when you do drop the tranny the flexplate will still be on the motor. mark it where it is and take it off. Then compare the holes to the touqe converter on the 2nd gen to the flexplate and you will notice one bolt that is off some. Take a dremal and make the hole a bit bigger on one side to make the bolt fit. after that is all done do everything in reverse pretty much.

#6 ·
Good general explaination above ....left out the pain it is pulling the exhaust system out. The Y going to the engine does not like to come out easily and many cut one of the pipes to make it easier.
Then the one or two top center bell housing bolts can be fun to get at, need some long extensions.
Either a lift or some good jack stands come in very handy and a trolley jack or two.

Basics:
Dsconnect the battery.
Pull the spindle and pop the axles out of the tranys.
Pull the exhaust.
Disconnect the Crank sensor.
Dsconnect the tranny harness from the firewall.
Pull the starter out a few inches.
Pull the braces betweent he tranny and engine block on bottom.
Remove flywheel dust cover and 4 torque conv. bolts
Lift tranny a little and remove tail support plate.
Support trans and lower rear enough to remove bell housing bolts.
Remove trans.
Swap trans. end cover and mount.
Rewire new trans plug to old harness. (add one pin)
Grind off one flywheel hole.
Drill (move)top bell hole or leave bolt out.
(Optional.) I flushed trans cooler lines out to make sure any junk from old trans gone.
Reverse above.
Put in new filter and AFT4

Think that is most of it. Probably forgot something.

#7 · (Edited)
Thank you all for your help . >>>> BTW I didn't understand anything regarding removing the trans :D cause there are no pictures and I never tried to look at the trans, anyway, when I start working on it, I'll understand everything .

My mechanic knows how to take out the trans and put it in again, so we can work together on taking out and installing. That is easy.

But I want you to explain the the things that I have to do to the 2nd gen tranny to work on my car. Cause my mechanic knows nothing about that. BTW : I started to understand the differences, thanks for your help.

((Drill a new hole.)) I think that will be easy, once I see the trans, I'll know where to drill. I don't mind if there are any pics :).
((Swap the back cover)) This means that I should put the 1st gen back cover on the new 2nd gen trans. right ?
((Change the wiring)) Didn't understand how to, I need some explanation and pics.
((Torque Converter Shield Plate )) Didn't understand. I need some explanation and pics.
((Flexplate modification (Optional))) I understood this one 95% ,,, pics are welcome :D

I have few more questions:
1- Does the torque converter come with the 2nd gen tranny? Or it comes alone ? Cause I want to change it too.
2- Does anyone have the pics in the ( Install a 1998-2004 intrepid transmission into your 1993-1997 intrepid (discussion) ) thread ?
3- Should I get a 2.7 concorde trans, or a 3.2 one, or a 3.5 one ? Which one is the best ?
4- The 2nd gen concorde transmission have just 4 speeds, but out 1st gen intrepids transmissions have 5 speeds, is that right?
5- Do I have to change the TCM ??
6- What is the (heat shrink tubing) ?

Thank you :).

#9 · (Edited)
((Drill a new hole.)) I think that will be easy, once I see the trans, I'll know where to drill. I don't mind if there are any pics. * The top left hole on the new trans. has to be drilled to match the hole on the engine.

((Swap the back cover)) This means that I should put the 1st gen back cover on the new 2nd gen trans. right ? * Right.

((Change the wiring)) Didn't understand how to, I need some explanation and pics. **There are two main connectors on the trans. The solinoid pack connector and the shift indicator connector. (the other two are the input and output speed sensors) Don't over think it. You just need to cut the shift indicator plug off your current harness and off the new trans. You then splice the new connector onto your old harness wire position for position. The new connector is missing the pin in the one position (outside left corner) which you need to either try to move one of the two unused pins or buy one from the stealership. (If you reread my post again and look at the pics. you should be able to make since of it.)
You slide a piece of shrink tubing over the wire, solid the connection, slide the tubing back, shrink the tubing, and then tape up the harness again.

((Torque Converter Shield Plate )) Didn't understand. I need some explanation and pics. * Its just a metal cover between engine and tranny. Your mech. will know.

((Flexplate modification (Optional))) I understood this one 95% ,,, pics are welcome. **One of the holes on the later convertors is offset just a little (or else its is on the flywheel. You just need to take a 1/16 off the edge of one hole. The trick is figuring out which one it is...

I have few more questions:
1- Does the torque converter come with the 2nd gen tranny? Or it comes alone ? Cause I want to change it too.
* I used the one that came with my 04 tranny.

5- Do I have to change the TCM ??
* I didn't.

6- What is the (heat shrink tubing) ?
* It's a plastic insulation that you slip over the wire. When you heat it with a cig. lighter or hot air it shrinks down tight on the wire. You can get it at
Radio Shack or a TV repair shop.

#10 ·
((Change the wiring)) Didn't understand how to, I need some explanation and pics. **There are two main connectors on the trans. The solinoid pack connector and the shift indicator connector. (the other two are the input and output speed sensors) Don't over think it. You just need to cut the shift indicator plug off your current harness and off the new trans. You then splice the new connector onto your old harness wire position for position. The new connector is missing the pin in the one position (outside left corner) which you need to either try to move one of the two unused pins or buy one from the stealership. (If you reread my post again and look at the pics. you should be able to make since of it.)
You slide a piece of shrink tubing over the wire, solid the connection, slide the tubing back, shrink the tubing, and then tape up the harness again.

I still didn't understand.

Let's follow your original post :

1- This is the 94 plug

2- This s the 04 plug

Is this picture for the 04 plug with the 04 wires or 94 wires ??

3- This is the 04 socket

Where is the missing pin ??? !!

Can you explain to me?

((Torque Converter Shield Plate )) Didn't understand. I need some explanation and pics. * Its just a metal cover between engine and tranny. Your mech. will know.
What should I do with this metal cover? I didn't understand from the two threads.

3- Should I get a 2.7 concorde trans, or a 3.2 one, or a 3.5 one ? Which one is the best ?
???

Thank you:)

#11 · (Edited)
1- This is the 94 plug - See how there is a wire in the bottom left pin position.

2- This s the 04 plug This is with only the 04 wires in place. As you would get it. See how the bottom left pin is missing. You need to have a pin in that hole for the wire from the 94 to go to. All the wires going up in the pic are used. The two going down are not used. You can try to move one of the two pins to the left of that hole but they are very hard to get out. So many just go to a dealer and buy the pin. cost me just under $5. The part # was in the other owners post.

What should I do with this metal cover? I didn't understand from the two threads.

Nothing, it just a part you have to remove and put back to get the trans out.

On this I'm not sure. Others say the 2.7 is good for preformance so I'd guess it would make it faster off the line if you where racing. If for a daily driver and you wanted good gas mileage I'd stay with one from a 3.2 or 3.5.
At least that is my best guess. I used the 5sp (overdrive) just like the original 94 I had.

#13 ·
Yes, safety is always a good thing.
Use good jack stands also. Hate to see it when people have a car very high up with those stands with the little 8-10 inch bases.
I have one set that have 16 inch bases and one set that have a 24" bases. Not going to have them roll on me.

#14 · (Edited)
In 1994 the TRS sensor didn't include the temp sensor. That why your plug is different that the one is described in the 2G tranny swap thread. That mean for best performance a 1995 and up TCM should be install. In 1995 they installed the temps sensor to optimize the shift quality. But if you keep the 1994 it will work.

About the connector if you look on the 04 transmission connector you have all the wire you need. It is on the 04 harness connector you need to install the bottom left pin ( ground wire for the starter relay). If it to complicate for you to install the wire you can use a TRS car harness connector for 2000-2001 car and some 1999 car. In this years all the wires are present on the harness. ( The ground wire for the starter relay disapear when dodge make the super PCM and TCM in one unit.)

You should buy a 2.7 transmission beacause the 2.7 engine is the lower torque engine . For this reason the tranny should be in better condition. This tranmission have the 6% lower gear and the torque converter have higher stall speed. If you don't whant the gear just install the one that you have on your bad transmission in the same time you will swapp the rear cover.

About the torque converter: if you use the old converter the flex plate will fit fine. If you use the 04 torque converter you will neeed to grind the last hole to install the bolt. It is very easy to do whit a small grinder.

#15 ·
Done !!!!!!!!!!!!!

hey guys .... I did it :D

i got a 2nd gen trans from a 2002-2004 concorde. (with a low mileage as the guys at the junk yard claimed)

and it happened to have the TRS plug with all the required pins and wires (so i didn't have to buy a pin ... thank god) .

my mechanical took off the old trans, and he did all the mods for the new one except the wiring harness thing (i did that) , and he installed the new trans.

and i got some pics for the new plug on the old wiring harness :

(please forgive me for the super BAD quality pics :) )

i soldered the old harness wires with the new plug (one by one so i don't put the wires in wrong places) , insulated each wire with some tape, then i put a plastic duct over all wires as you can see in the pics .... (i did a good job :D ... thank god ;) )

my car is running great now !!! oh thank god and it's accelerating much better than before .......

a message for everyone in this forum ,, if you have a problem with your trans, just take it off and put a 2nd gen one ... it's great ..

thank you guys very very very very much for your help, if i didn't put that new trans, my car would be in the junk yard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.