DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Turns over but wont start

35K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  ksa8907 
#1 · (Edited)
My wifes 01 3.2 liter intrepid wont start. I checked all fuses and relays and they are all good. The fuel pump comes on just fine but it just wont fire up. I got the codes and she has quite a few but only 2 that seem to be affiliated with the problem yet I still cant seem to find the issue. The are p1684
, p0645,p159.8,p1489,p1282, p1495. I am considering replacing the camshaft sensor because many people on here have had similar problems because of that. I would really like to get some advice though before I go shell out 50 bucks on something that can not be returned. Please any advice is welcomed.

#2 ·
Once you get the code descriptions from the FSM, you'd have to go thru the schematics to look for commonalities of the code meanings. Maybe ground, power, or fuse problems (sometimes visual checks aren't good - best to check with meter). Battery OK? Connections at battery OK - corrosion?

#3 ·
Battery is good, ground is good. It has plenty of power, I even hooked it up to my truck that has a optimal yellow top so I know there is plenty of juice. Just won't fire up, my wife just woke up friday morning and it wouldn't start. No signs of anything before that, it just wouldn't fire up all of the sudden.

#4 · (Edited)
645 is a/c clutch relay ckt, 1598 is a/c pressure sensor voltage too high, 1489 is high speed fan relay ckt, 1282 is fuel pump relay control ckt, and 1495 is leak detection pump solenoid ckt.

you should search on here for the factory service manual, download it and try to diagnose some of these codes. i don't want to jump to any conclusions but the common denominator is the ECU. i suppose you could have a bad 5v supply or something like that, maybe its grounded out. poor ground on those circuits? idk, good luck.

then again, it could be the crank sensor. and all these codes are just coincidence.

#7 ·
So here is an update. I finally gave up and took it to the dealer. The dealer diagnosed it as having a bad cam sensor. They replaced the sensor and it still wont fire up???? The strange thing is that if we unplug the sensor it fires up but it only runs correctly if you keep the rpms under 3000. The mechanics at the dealer are stumped and basically said that they cant figure it out and from this point forward there is nothing they can do for me. I was lucky enough that they didnt charge me for anything since they didnt fix anything but it still doesnt change the fact that the car is still down. I dont know what to do. I even replaced the cam sensor myself again once I got it home with hopes that the dealer maybe replaced it with a faulty sensor and it still didnt help. Anyone have any ideas????

#10 · (Edited)
Just looking at those codes it looks more like an electrical problem of some kind (assuming you normally keep the car in good working order). You might look at the wiring diagrams and check the power to some of the fuses and relays associated with your error codes (Peva suggested this earlier).

Also, considering the odd behavior with the Cam sensor you might want to check power to/from the PCM for that circuit.

PS
The Auto Shutdown Relay will also stop the car from starting. Normally you could check that by swapping it with the High Fan Relay but since you've got an error code for that ... *shrug*

#11 ·
I would also add that - and this is going to sound crazy - the headlight dimmer switch can cause no-start problems. There's no obvious reason why - has to be some sneak path deal to cause it. Here is a recent thread where that was the case: http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/showthread.php?t=206129
I believe there have been others in the past where headlight switch was causing no start. I don't know if you could test for that simply by unplugging your switch or if a known good one has to be plugged in.

Not saying that's it - just put it on the list of possibilities to rule out.

#12 ·
I will take all that into consideration but the biggest mystery to me is that if I unplug the cam sensor it fires up? None of you touched that strange part. Any ideas on that? I would think that makes the cam sensor the culprit, if it was any of the things suggested by all you wouldnt that mean that unplugging the cam sensor would only make it worse? Thanks again to all that are helping me to troubleshoot this. If I can figure it out then I dont know what the hell my wife are gonna do. It really isnt the best time to take on an auto loan and even if it was an ideal time I still would rather not, we have been free of a car note on both our vehicles for over a year now and it feels great.

#15 · (Edited)
I will take all that into consideration but the biggest mystery to me is that if I unplug the cam sensor it fires up? None of you touched that strange part. Any ideas on that? I would think that makes the cam sensor the culprit, if it was any of the things suggested by all you wouldnt that mean that unplugging the cam sensor would only make it worse?
Again, I'd check the circuits coming off the PCM. Make sure you have a good ground and 5v on those pins. Check the harness for damage (wire continuity from plug to plug). Check all three plugs (PCM-C2, Cam, and Crank) for contaminants/bad contacts/shorts.

The FSM is your friend ... :icon_wink

Text Diagram Parallel Line Plan

Text Font Line Parallel Number

Text Font Line Parallel Number

Synthetic rubber Tire Automotive tire Tread Auto part

(click to enlarge as needed)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.