DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

amp heat

671 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  dbaudiopro 
#1 ·
I'm going to start a new enclosure idea soon and I wanted to mount my amps underneath plexiglass in a box basically about 1/4" fiberboard. I wanted to know, if I have them mounted like that with about 3" clearance above, should I have any problems with them shutting down because of excessive heat? The amps are a JL 500/1 and the other is a Kenwood Kac-829(600 watts max/300 RMS 2 channel amp)

#4 ·
What ever you do, you don't want them sealed in a box. They have to have air circulation to stay cool. Since heat naturally rises if you block it with a "ceiling" you've got to force the heat out another direction. I would definitely consider putting a fan in the design to keep the air moving. Even an amp with fans built-in probably will need some extra ventilation to actually move air throught the "chamber" they'll be mounted in...

#6 ·
Imadreadhead said:
better drill some holes into the plexiglass.
That would help as well. But if you don't have the right bit, have never drilled plexi before and don't have a way of polishing the holes I wouldn't recommend trying it. It's very, very easy to crack or chip the material and IMHO, an unfinished edge (i.e. not smoothed and polished) looks terrible...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.