DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Best tires?

30K views 45 replies 31 participants last post by  sycamore317 
#1 ·
What is your oppinion on the best tire to put on your Intrepid or Concorde? What's your favorite wheels?

#2 ·
the tires i have on now are not too bad. Goodyear eagle. I have a problem with them wearing on the front but i think its got problems. Im probably gonna put michelin hydroedge on next, theyve had good reviews

#4 ·
I've got Michelin Hydroedge on atm;
Decent in snow, pretty good in rain. There was a pretty big storm last week and had no problems getting to my destination. Kept good traction despite the downpour and puddles. As long as you rotate them when needed, they'll last a good while. I plan on switching though, run summer tires for my newly acquired Charger wheels, and switch from all season to winter tires for my chrome crusaders.

#6 · (Edited)
for winter i got nokian hakapelita5 and they are AMAZING and last 50000miles easy !!!

for summer i got michelin hydroedge and are f**** AMAZING and last 60000miles easy <---

im doing at least 50000miles a year for work ... and 10000miles for my family

and im driving a 1999 jetta 1.9l tdi 5speed and im having ~700,000km on it and still running smooth

#7 ·
I'm running 225/55/17 Cooper CS4's on my LHS at the recommendation of a lot of people here. They handle VERY well, are quiet, and are more of a luxury comfort ride tire than a sport tire.

On the Intrepid, 255/35/20 BF Goodrich KDW's.......f'in amazing, but they ride rough and are noisy :p

#30 ·
I have Avid TRZ's on our 300M and they are ABSOLUTELY the best tire that I have put on that car! Yes, I bought them from Discount Tire Direct too (third set of tires that I have bought from them... awesome service). When the Continentals on our new Intrepid are worn out I will be adding Yoko's to that one too.

#9 ·
I attempted last year to save a few bucks and bought a used set of Summimotos-I know why the previous owner changed them LOL!!

Previously I swore by Toyo Proxies TPT but they have been replaced by Extensa's which are out of my current price range for a car with 700,000+ miles.

Ended up with Milestar MS932 (Nanking) which after about 7,000 miles I am pretty happy.
225/55/17 V rating with 101 load range. All season tire, heavily siped for rain/prevent hydroplaning M&S rated also. Quiet riding, been into 2-3 inch rain fall and feel pretty tight. Kind of surprised I like them.

http://www.milestartire.com/MS932.html

http://www.milestartire.com/MS932.html

#11 ·
My intrepid had Kelly Navigator Touring Gold tires when i bought it.for a cheap tire they wear incredibly well,hold the road great and do fine on snow and wet roads.i am pushing near 60,000 miles on these things.almost a year of 100 miles a day for work.now weatherchecking,sidewalls cracking near rims,its time to put them to rest.will be replacing with same tires.
Frank.

#12 ·
Running who knows what on the front, but Firestone FR380 in the rear... Time to replace the fronts now, and I don't know if I want to buy more FR380s, or if I want to buy four new shoes all the way around and go with some upgrade... I think my local options will dictate what I do...

#13 · (Edited)
i've spent countless hours on tirerack searching for a good tire that won't break the bank, best thing i've found is the Yokohama Avid TRZ. between surveys and tirerack's testing they have the best performance and mileage for the money.

*wet traction is a huge deal for me, nothing sucks worse than sliding around in the rain.

#16 · (Edited)
Tire Tips

I can also agree on the Avid TRZ as a very good compromise between price and quality for normal driving. They were tested a while back by Consumer Reports, and their only down side was poor braking performance on ice if that is a concern for you. This is much different than snow traction, which was rated good. There is also a performance version of the Avid.

You might also look at the Cooper Tires. They had a touring tire that was my second choice (can't remember the model). They are also usually a good value, and I think they are the only major line still made in the USA.

A Hankook brand tire (Mileage Plus II H725 - may be a different similar model now) was also rated high by Consumer Reports (and may cost a little less), but a problem is that there seem to be far fewer shops that can give warranty service on Hankook tires. These tires also had poor ice braking as the only downside.

A few other considerations:

1. I recommend using an independent tire shop and ordering through them rather than ordering on-line and getting someone to mount and balance. I found a shop who's prices where only a little higher than getting them on-line. You can ask for recommendations for tire shops at good parts stores like Carquest and NAPA or ask your mechanic. Check the shop's Better Business Bureau rating at your state's on-line BBB site. You can also look at the recommended installers list at Tirerack and the other on-line dealers, since those shops obviously know what the on-line prices are and may be most competitive.

The big advantage to ordering through the shop rather than on-line is that not only are you supporting a local business more, but you will be getting the warranty card through them. If you have any problems, they are going to be much more enthusiastic about helping you if you bought through them. If you have any vibration problems it could be a bad tire (needing warranty replacement), a bad wheel, or the mount/balance job. It is also a good idea to go to a shop that also does alignment and suspension work. You can have an alignment done at the same time and have your suspension checked.

2. I don't like the tire chain stores. In my area most of them have much less-experienced mechanics. Most people on this site probably know to to stay away from Wal-Mart for tires. I went to them a long time ago when I didn't know any better. First they somehow left the cut-off base of an old valve stem inside the new tire and it was rattling around in there - very weird. Second, I found out that many of the supposedly brand-name tires they carry are not the manufacturers' regular line tires; they are specially made for Wal-Mart. So you can only get warranty service through Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart doesn't tell you this unless you ask. Some of the managers don't even know. Also, you can't get a copy of the warranty from the manufacturer, you only get what Wal-Mart will give you. Uniroyal told me this in writing. The brands that do this with Wal-Mart include big names like Goodyear, Uniroyal, General Tire, Bridgestone, and Michelin. I don't buy these tire brands because I think this is a deceptive practice. Beware that other big department stores that have tire service centers may do the same thing as Wal-Mart.

3. Make sure to ask the shop to fill out the warranty card with your contact information. I prefer to mail it myself to make sure it gets sent. This is also necessary for any recalls. Be sure to hold on to your receipt. It is good to make a photocopy for your records and keep the original in the glove compartment in case you are traveling and need to get warranty repairs/replacement at another shop that handles the tire brand. Ask for a copy of the warranty. It may be available on-line for download or by writing/e-mailing the company, so the shop may not have a hard copies like most used to.

4. If you are going to bring in bare rims, make sure they are in good shape and wash them off. If you are mounting tires on bare steel rims, remove any surface rust from the sealing area with rust remover, a stiff brush and sandpaper, and then finish as smooth as you can with wet or dry automotive sandpaper. This is necessary because rust around the sealing area at the rim can causes a slow leak. If the rust is thick, after you remove it and sand, there may be visible pits or gouges where the tire seals. If so, you won't get good sealing, and your tires will leak. Time for a new rim in this case. After rust removal and sanding, repaint the bare areas with one of the specialty wheel paints for steel (Dupli-Color, Plasti-Kote, VHT and others.) This paint supposedly resists degradation by brake dust, cleaners, etc. Most of the auto parts stores have this paint.

If you are bringing in the car, and there is any rust on the sealing area of the steel rims, ask the shop if they can remove the rust and repaint the wheels - at least where the rust was removed. If they can't paint or you want to do this yourself, you could obviously put on a full-size spare tire and have the shop demount/replace the tires one at a time over a few weeks, while you clean and paint each bare individual rim.

#14 ·
I agree that buying tires is always a tough call. You mention the Avid TRZ. Is there any reason you passed over the Hankook H727? Maybe they don't come in the right size for the Intrepid. From this ranking, the H727s are #1, and the TRZs are #4.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ST

I just picked up a set of these from Discount Tire for my 300M, and there is a $50 rebate through the end of November. Here's the link:

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d...nter=1&ar=55&rd=17&vid=008425&sw=false&cs=225

At the time I bought them, the price was $118. It's gone up in the last few weeks!?!

The other one to consider is the #5 tire - Kumho KR21. I have had two of these on the Intrepid for quite a while, and I liked them so much, I picked up two more. They seem to be wearing very well! I would have bought them for the 300M, but they don't come in the 17" size.

Good luck!

#15 ·
i currently have traction t/a's on the 17's and before that i had kr21's on 16's. loved the traction out of the kuhmo's but they barely lasted 33k miles, not impressed.

i looked hard at the h727's but from tireracks testing they indicated they were less than desirable in the wet, like i said im a stickler for wet traction. their testing is really the only reason im deciding to go with the yoko's instead. between the survey and testing they seem to be the right choice for me.

#35 · (Edited)
Don't be fooled by name brands. Tires are tires. I have Pirelli's on my Intrepid (expensive) and Previously had Michelins (also expensive) and they both provide a regular ride. Nothing special at all. It only snows once or twice a year where I live so I don't need winter tires or any special type of tire. The only type of tire I can think is better than another is lower profile tires vs. a stock one. But there's pros and cons to that (ask an tire shop for specific info) Next time I'm just buying the most affordable tires, regardless of brand.

#36 ·
Not sure that I totally agree with this, but my recent experience supports it. I purchased Michelins for my wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee, and they are mostly shot after 25k miles. I thought Michelins would go twice that long. The prior set were no-name tires that were on it when we bought the car used. They lasted longer than this set of Michelins, but the ride was a bit better on the Michelins.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.