DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Front Suspension clunking

6K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  peva 
#1 ·
I'm getting frustrated chasing this front suspension clunking noise.

On bumpy roads there is a clunk or deep rattle in the front suspension.

What I've replaced so far:

Struts (quick struts so strut mounts, bearings, springs all inclusive)
Ball joints - comes as control arm so bushings there also
Strut rod bushings
Axles
Wheel bearings
Sway bar links
Sway bar to chassis bushings

I honestly thought for sure that the sway bar links and bushings would completely solve this but it didn't make a difference.

Is there ANYTHING else to look at or some common reason for this suspension noise?

#2 ·
I think that covers all of the bushings and everything on the suspension if I remember right. Look at your engine and transmission mounts. It may not be a suspension problem. Also, where at in Iowa are you? I'm from Osceola, but spend most of my time in Ankeny. There are also several other members from Iowa here.

#5 ·
Waterloo here!!

I'll look into the engine and transmission mounts. Researching it looks like it may be cradle mounts. Those are freaking expensive!!!

Sad thing about this is my ex wife got the car in the divorce. I just can't abandon this project without solving the problem, though!

Has anyone used the cradle mounts from Polybushings? Am I going to create a lot more labor for myself since I would have to reuse my metal bits?

#7 ·
Does anybody have a idea about what could be wrong with my 2003 intrepid about 6 months ago the front end started making a clunking nose only after I turn left then straighten out the wheels then stepped on the brakes it will clunk. Changed the CV joints and inter tie rod ends still clunks

#9 ·
Yes, you can buy cradle bushings from Advance Auto Parts.

I was in the same boat. I completely rebuilt my suspension a little at a time until I found the clunk. Mine was the lower control arm. Now I have a new noise from the crappy struts I put on, I think.

#12 ·
http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/showthread.php?t=235174

http://300mclub.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=28681

In a later thread (in a forum accessible only to paid members), 02SilverSpecial posted that he did replace the rear Dorman bushings with the OEM ones, and "...[t]he OEM bushings where about 1/8th" smaller than the Dorman bushings and the rubber material was A LOT thicker and less pliable than the dorman. It fixed the subframe shifting,..."

Apparently the Dormans are OK for the front two but not the rear two positions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.