DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Jr's Trep Sig Page and little Whore thread.

42K views 293 replies 12 participants last post by  jradams350 
#1 · (Edited)
Well I think it is about time to start one for my dear sweet trep..

As most of you know it had a really hard life when I got it and it was worse for the wear. It could of been taken to the scrap yard, but I saw potential in it and it does not look like it is the same car from when I got it.

I acquired the car back in October 2007 for free (only had to buy the fuel to get there to it and back), and there is a very long history behind this car and why it came into my possession.

Mods (if you consider them as mods):
Took a 2000 RAS radio's tape deck (Radio itself was dead) and installed it into my 1997 RAS Radio. (Keeping as backup)
Bought an 1st gen AM / FM / Cassette / CD Player and installed it.

Specs of the car:
1997 Base model
3.5L engine
Column Shift
AM / FM / Cassette Radio (Radio connectors was missing)
Candy Apple Red Metallic Paint (PHC)
Cloth interior
Manual Front Bench Seats

Parts Bought to Fix it Up:
Headlights, brackets, and Front Turns
Right Front Fender
Complete Inner-Structure
Hood
Front Bumper Cover
Fuel Tank with working Pump

There are still a few things I need to buy and have on order for the car, but that is still going one step at a time.

Parts Still Needed or on order:
New Radiator (The mounting pieces on mine is broke, but Radiator is not leaking)
2 Bolts to hold the front bumper cover on (Can buy those at my local hardware store)
Replace the Passenger side Door
Subframe bushings (On Order)

Well Enough with all the mindless chit chatter, and on with the pics :D

BEFORE I GOT IT:

AS IT IS TODAY:

There will be more to come in this thread, and there are a few mods that I am wanting to get done to it.

See less See more
#220 ·
These pics that are posted below are a little old, but still hold true today..

I know, I know you guys can make fun of me if you want, but this one is of me in front of the car:

This is where it normally idles at:

This one is of running a little over 50 MPH while turning about 1500 RPM's:

#224 ·
There is one thing you will hardly ever see me wear and that is shorts. Since it was the only thing that I grabbed and did not care, here is a couple of shots with me in shorts. No the pictures are not poses and I only had like 10 seconds to get into position.

Here are just a few random shots taken at the same time:

I am guessing that the area between the Check engine light and the High beams was burnt through due to having the high beams the indicator on the IP cluster shines a little through the Check Engine light. The Check Engine light is not on at all..

Here is the current mileage (178282) and what it was idling at before I went and parked it where it was at (See the 1st picture above..

Like I stated in the big whore thread, I have been sick so I may not look at all my best..

#227 ·
Tomorrow sometime if I feel up to it, I will pull out some tape and mark off the area I want to get painted a different color (2 different types of areas), and let you guys vote on it.

I would do it in Photoshop, but I am not good at it at all..

#229 ·
all I gotta do to the car right now before I would even consider a long trip in it is figure out what caused the code 43 to appear out of nowhere.

It involves either the dwell time in the primary circuit, or it could mean a Cylinder 5 or 6 Misfire (Which I think would of thrown another code as well). The car runs great when it is going down the highway, but runs a little rough at idle (Not 100% noticeable if not feeling it, or listening carefully to it).

#230 ·
John, honestly, I'd just get in it and drive at this point... it was built to be driven - any code you get now that is ambiguous will either become old and expired (you clear the code, it doesn't come back), or it will get worse enough to the point that you can actually diagnose it...

Now go drive the thing for crying out loud.

#231 ·
I have been driving it, just not on the long distance trips like from my house to Tupelo just yet. If I had my camera on me the days it was out and about in town I would of gotten a few snaps then. Then again the video posted above also does not show much either, other than the Check Engine light being on, the speed the car was going, and the Tach. It was one of the days it was out and about but I forgot about the camera in the car until it was to late, and that was about the only thing the camera caught..

That is why I dislike my 7.1MP camera because it will delete images if you are not careful with it, There was several pictures that I took that are missing off that camera that I have no idea where they are due to them being deleted off the memory card.

#232 ·
List of things that will be done to it once I get some good miles on her..

1.) TB / WP replacement
2.) Oil Change again
3.) PAINT!!
4.) Tires

That is all I can think of for now but will update the list as I can remember things I got to do to her when I get the miles on her.. The list is not in any particular order, just the way it came across my mind..

#238 ·
Welp after running into a big issue with the S-10 truck, I have switched over to the car as the Daily Driver and have put some miles on it.

I have not had a clue on how it was going to do on the trip to Tupelo, MS and back at all until Saturday Night. Other than the CODE 21 (Oxygen Sensor) the car is running like a champ. Here is a pic of the current mileage that is on the car..

Considering I have had the car since 2007, this is the first time it has gone as far as it has and still is running like it should...

#243 ·
In a quote mood

X2^^and working steadily.
Good to see, John.
Thanks Tim, Hank, Cean..

On my '95 when you pull the hood release, it stays up, but goes back down when the hood is opened.
I am not to worried about the hood release, other than have to fight it a little to pop the hood (Still have to tinker with it a little), but at least the hood does close and remain closed :D

A wise man once said "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
I got tired of the top post because of the terminals not wanting remain tight on the battery, so I converted it over. It is working still and I am glad for that still, and since it is working great still, I am not going to mess with it..

:eek:mg: your kidding. KK4ELE is my call. I like the sound of that mod!!!
I am not kidding. If I had the books where I could get access to them, I would get my ARRL license install the radio into the car and use it. Of course I would get my license number put on a license plate and run it on the car as well :D

Why in the world would you want to put a smaller engine in something?(especially a picky 2.7L)
I was joking around with installing a 2.7L motor in the car. I am not sure if it would even fit in there without some modifications..

Spruce Green!!!!! < Joking (unless we can choose a color out of the list :biggrin: ) otherwise I'd go with Battleship Grey.
Color I am still undecided on and not sure when I would even get the time to paint the car with all that is going on right now..

:woot: Congratulations!!! :woot:

Nice so far -- needs AutoStick and ATC and you'll be set.
Thanks Mike, the only issue with going ATC and AutoStick is that it is hard to locate those parts around here in my neck of the woods..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I remember to grab the camera, I will try to take a pic of the car at where i work today. It is going to be a long day :D:D

#249 ·
Well tonight proved to be an adventure that I was not expecting. A deer crossed the road right infront of me and I did not have time to stop. It did very little damage to the car thank goodness, but it knocked out the headlamp and turn signal light on the passenger side.

I guess it is time to raid the junkyard (When I get the money on Thursday) for a new headlamp assembly if there is any to be found.

Other than that, the car is still ticking and racking up miles, but it is fixing to be removed from DD status when I get my C-3500 back on the road until I can figure out the cause of the CODE 21 (Oxygen Sensor Code). Get that fixed and away she goes again :D:D:D

-----------------------------------------------------

On a side note, I have thought about contacting the original owner who wanted to buy the car back once I got through repairing it, but I am enjoying the car a little to much right now to even consider reselling it back to them. Also I do not know how accurate the fuel gauge is, so I am keeping it above 1/4 tank of fuel..

#251 ·
There are some out there that would kill to push carts to eat... Id be thankful you have something (and it isn't mentally taxing), and remember what it is like to have no job...

But, as you mentioned, you may have something else lined up?

Sent from my SCH-S720C using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#252 ·
The car is still going strong and turned over 180,000 (sitting close to 181,000 on the clock) about a few days ago.

The only issue(s) that keep coming up is:

The Check Engine light blinking every once in a while

Every once in a blue moon the entire instrument cluster will up and die then come back to life like the key was cut off then back on

---------------------------------------------

The at is all that I have noticed so far what is wrong with the car other than the usual squeaks and creaks that comes with a car that age and where it came from to now :D

#255 · (Edited)
Long Winded Post

I found out that the car will protest when / where it wants. Friday after getting home from work, it sat like 5 minutes and off it was again on another run (Take my sister to work).

About when I got to town, it started sounding like I had a flat tire. Pulled over and looked at all the tires to see which one went flat and none was flat. It was speed sensitive, so when I got the car going faster it got worse until a certain speed then it quit. Got my sister to work and let it sit for the 7 to 8 hours she worked, drove home and the problem was gone just like that and has not returned. WEIRD

Today after getting back home this morning, I could put the car in any gear except reverse and the insturment cluster would work, but put the car in reverse, the entire insturment cluster would die. After getting to work, Put the car into reverse and everything was normal.

Checked codes doing the key dance and this is was what came out.12 21 43 55

I know what those codes mean and all of that, just got to figure out which side is which on the Oxygen sensors to eliminate the code 21

Code 12 is the battery disconnect code (I thought it would already been wiped clear since the car has been started more than 50 times)

Code 21 is for the Oxygen Sensors. It says Bank 1 Sensor 1 but which one is that? Front or rear, and passenger or Drivers side.

Code 43 Involves the Dwell Time has not been achieved within a certain time frame (Needs a new coil)

Code 55 is just the generic meaning for END OF CODES

I need to get a new Oil Pressure Sending unit or whatever it is called because every once in a while the oil light would flicker while at Idle.

I just think the car is acting like a crotchety old car and wants to protest when it feels like it :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other than those issues / problems the car is running great and still holding strong other than the usual creaks, rattles, and whatnot's a car it's age does.
No big complaints and just glad it is getting me from point A to point B and back again.

#261 · (Edited)
Work is work and still at WALMART working as a cart pusher.

--------------------------------------------------

A little over 187100 miles on the car and now the trans is about to give up on it. It is whining / roaring, bucking the whole car, stuck in LIM (Limp in mode), and the car tries stalling once come to a complete stop (suspicion is trans related). Also was going to spend the money to start buying tires for it, but now I can't :(... Got to get the C-3500 back on its feet so that I can get to work in the AM...

#262 ·
When I start to trust the car things go belly up on it...

Here is what it is doing in short version...

1.) Starts Fine, but looking at the instrument cluster where it tells me what gear I am in, that is lit up like a christmas tree.

2.) Transmission clunks or feels like it slams into 2nd gear and goes no further

3.) The Speedometer does not work anymore

4.) Pulled codes on the car and got nothing for the transmission other than NO CCD BUS from the TCM

5.) Car tries to stall when coming to a complete stop and illuminating the battery and Oil Light.

6.) While in gear (Drive) you can hear a roaring noise start and get louder and actually see the RPM gauge rise as the noise gets louder.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The C-3500 is back on the road again and has taken over the assignment of DD until I can get the car back on all four wheels. What I thought was going to take 2 hours to deal with on the C-3500 (Replacement of Brake Rotor and all that stuff) took a lot longer than expected and took in some nasty battle wounds with that fight but I still won..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.