DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Mini-Me

14K views 83 replies 14 participants last post by  95intrepid99kid 
#1 · (Edited)
I went on a silly kick wanting to buy the die-cast models of the Intrepid that Brookfield put out - they did some really nice models before going belly-up, both of Dodge and other Mopar, and some others. They seem to have made some metal, and some plastic, dealer models, but the 1st Gen Intrepid was a die-cast metal model. Made of over 60 individual pieces, I do believe that much, if not all, of it was hand assembled.

Anyway - PICTURES!

Me:

Mini-Me:

The car was originally a very dark charcoal, near black, with silver bumpers and side moldings. I completely took it apart, except for the trunk lid, headlights and foglights. The 'chassis' drops out the bottom with two screws, taking with it the seats, axles, wheels, etc. The hood comes out with two screws and a little bar on the underside of the dash, and then two screws remove the dash. The doors in front come out with one screw each from underneath, and the back doors come out with one screw from each side. The rear window and front window are glued in to the roof, easy to pop them loose, and same with the long OTIS/mirror. The door panels are hot-glued in, they pop off nice. The rear parcel shelf also pops off easily. Then the engine, cowl, and wipers come off all together by popping the glue loose. The tail light lenses come out really easy, not hard at all to break the glue bond on both the quarter panels and the center bar on the deck lid.

With the body completely stripped, I scuffed the whole car except for the B and C pillars by hand using a white Scotch-Brite pad. This knocked down the gloss on the factory paint. I did the same with the doors, except everything above the belt-line. The curves in the bumper and molding were very hard to scuff, and I thought I did well enough - turns out I sucked at it, and should have used a chemical scuffer or something.

Anyway, I then shot it with single stage rattle can paint that is pre-mixed in Indy Red PRB. Bought it on eBay just to do this model. The paint laid on just fine, except where I didn't scuff it enough. It beaded up like water on wax really bad. So, some of it didn't go so well.

I then put it all back together using a crafters superglue gel. You can see the paint beading problem in the photo below pretty well.

And as long as I'm at it, here is my new exhaust, along with my new license plate, and the car sitting on the trunk.

The car was a gift for my nephew - he is autistic, and he has a car for everyone who visits the house... Last time my car was there, he had an ugly 2 door Camero to represent my car - but it was his only red car... So, I gave him this one. The only difference is the wheels.

See less See more
#6 ·
That's what I love about them - They are factory size!

Cooper rubber on them - but one went bad under warranty, and was replaced - but the original tread design wasn't available, so I have three of one type, and 1 of another. I'll fix that next summer maybe.

#4 · (Edited)
I went on a silly kick wanting to buy the die-cast models of the Intrepid that Brookfield put out - they did some really nice models before going belly-up, both of Dodge and other Mopar, and some others. They seemed to have make some metal, and some plastic dealer models, but the 1st Gen Intrepid was a metal model. Made of over 60 individual pieces, I do believe that much of it was hand assembled.

Anyway - PICTURES!

Me:

Mini-Me:

The car was originally a very dark charcoal, near black, with silver bumpers and side moldings. I completely took it apart, except for the trunk lid, headlights and foglights. The 'chassis' drops out the bottom, taking with it the seats, axles, wheels, etc. Then the dash comes out with 4 screws from the bottom - this releases the hood. The doors in front come out with two screws from underneath, and the back doors come out with two screws from the sides. The rear window and front window are glued in to the roof, easy to pop them loose, and same with the long OTIS/mirror. The door panels are hot-glued in, they pop off nice. The rear parcel shelf also pops off easily.

With the body completely stripped, I scuffed the whole car except for the B and C pillars by hand using a white Scotch-Brite pad. This knocked down the gloss on the factory paint. I did the same with the doors, except everything above the belt-line. The curves in the bumper and molding were very hard to scuff, and I thought I did well enough - turns out I sucked at it, and should have used a chemical scuffer or something.

Anyway, I then shot it with single stage rattle can paint that is pre-mixed in Indy Red PRB. Bought it on eBay just to do this model. The paint laid on just fine, except where I didn't scuff it enough. It beaded up like water on wax really bad. So, some of it didn't go so well.

I then put it all back together using a crafters superglue gel. You can see the paint beading problem in the photo below pretty well.

And as long as I'm at it, here is my new exhaust, along with my new license plate, and the car sitting on the trunk.

The car was a gift for my nephew - he is autistic, and he has a car for everyone who visits the house... Last time my car was there, he had an ugly 2 door Camero to represent my car - but it was his only red car... So, I gave him this one. The only difference is the wheels.
Where can I get mine?! :baller: I want one in forest green pearl!! Did I mention I love the regular wheels?

#10 ·
I think I'll do it again - but I need to find the right base Intrepid to use. I've got a grey one, and another dark one, and a red one - but the grey one has the original purchase receipt from the dealer, and the dark one is a 1993 that has never been out of the box - and the red one is super rare (the wrong color red), so I don't want to modify that one either... I'll have to find another one some time.

But when I do it again I'll be working on better removing the fog light lenses, and the headlights too - those didn't mask really well, and bled through. Might try using drinking straws of the correct size to mask the fog lights, as those are VERY hard to remove. I also want to try to find some replacement wheels that match more closely to mine.

#14 ·
Cean is ready for car shows with the Mini-Me! Just need a mirrored rotating platter to set it on in the engine bay!

#18 ·
O.k., Hammie... here's your pictures...

Here are the three boxes I have - the right-most box is empty, as that is the one I gave to my nephew - but I will put my candy-apple red model in that box when I bring it home from work where it is proudly on display at my parts counter.

Here's the one with the receipt - don't know how readable the receipt will be, but the person paid $19.95 for the model.

Here are some shots of one of the 1993 models - turns out they are both the same color - should have used one of these for the re-paint, not the dark one I used. Oh well. (sorry some of these may be upside down)

Some interior shots - I will get better ones from the red car I've got - that one isn't strapped shut anymore.

Long OTIS

Center console

Detailed dash - I try to get some shots of the radio and ATC too - it is ATC and the CD/Cassette combo radio

The mirrors for some reason are almost always on upside down... I need to pay extra close attention to the other models to see if any of them are on upside right...

The wiper do move...

As packaged by Broofield... the packaging changes from year to year, and is almost unique per package. This one is one of the nicer more protective, but hard to be shelf displayable.

Here are all the exterior panels. I need to scan them on a flatbed.

Here is the insert the car is strapped down to - nice cut-away drawing of the car.

That's all for now - I need to see about putting my Intrepid 'shrine' together once and for all, and then I'll put up a thread about it.

I need to get better pics too, ones with a camera that has focus. Sorry about the blurries there.

#20 ·
Haha, you make out sound like they are for sale...

Dunno if I'm ready to sell one. They are suddenly no longer on EBay, so I don't know what happened to the market. The only models I can find now are the Chrysler ones, and they are going for around $50...well, listings are for $50, but not sold yet...

#31 ·
They will twist almost all the way around, I'm sure, but they weren't designed to wipe the windshield. They will either bind up against it, or stand off from it. If I remember right they stand away from the windshield when fully down, and begin to bend the higher up you go... I'll get you some pics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.