DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

V3 Intake Spacer Coming Soon... Need input and a list for group buy!

14K views 134 replies 20 participants last post by  Loaner 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

So I recently purchased one of the original intake spacers from a club member and I plan on reproducing it. My idea is to use my intake spacer as a donor to be recreated digitally through some software I have access to at my University. Ideally, I should just be able to transfer measurements into the computer and then send the file over to a machine shop for production. I already have a good friend lined up to make the parts and I trust him to make a quality product. I have already worked with him in the past with the production of other parts and accessories.

Here are a few details about the spacer itself form previous threads..

It is an aluminum spacer that goes where the gasket between the intake plenum and lower intake manifold goes. It is shaped like the gasket but is thicker - 3/8" thick - so it raises the intake plenum up 3/8". The longer air flow path increases mid to high end torque.

It gives 30 ft-lbs of added torque in the middle rpm range
SPAD3 said:
Here are the dyno results. This mod is one of the few that are custom made. The are precision cut to match the lower intake perfectly. Over 35 are currently installed, with no returns.

It increases the runner length, lowering the power band, which adds to the torque. Its one mod you can feel the difference with. Some have *reported* a gain of 1-2 MPG. This is unconfirmed though. I noticed a 1 MPG change in my personal cars.

V2 Spacer - Image from Spad3

V2 Spacer - Image from Spad3

Current CAD model in progress...

Current Package Deals

Core Package - $150 + $15 core
- Intake Spacer
- Extended Bolt Set
- Altered Plenum Brackets ($15 core charge refunded when old brackets are mailed back)

99-early02 "EGR" Package - $150 + $55 core
- Intake Spacer
- Extended Bolt Set
- Altered Plenum Brackets ($15 core charge refunded when old brackets are mailed back)
- Extended EGR Tube ($40 core charge refunded when old tube is mailed back)

Core Gasket Kit - $24.50
- x2 MS91990 Plenum Gasket
- 61068 Throttle Body Gasket

99-early02 "EGR" Gasket Kit - $28.50
- x2 MS91990 Plenum Gasket
- 61068 Throttle Body Gasket
- 70720 EGR Mounting Gasket
- x2 72928 EGR Tube Seal

I wanted to start a list of those who are JUST interested in getting a V3 Spacer, this is not a commitment list, just a list for me to get an idea on who would be interested in buying one.

Updated List*

If you are interested add your name to the list below:
1. Austin R/T (DI)
2. Adpros (DI)
3. YesImLDS (DI)
4. DjGreggieP (DI)
5. Bigde024 (DI)
6. Kent Vice (300M Club)
7. 300M-Mike (300M Club)
8. hrmwrm (LH)
9. chosen3001 (300M Club)
10. srt420 (LH)
11. Henry (N/A)
12. Cornelius (300M Club)
13. SilverSpecial (300M Club)
14. 02SilverSpecial6.1 (300M Club)
15. Fromans4 (LH)
16. Avalancha805 (DI)
17. akiharho- ledgic_13 (300M Club)
18. '87IROCZOWNER69 (DI)
19. BiliTheAxe (DI)
20. Mopar340dave (300M Club)
21. BXZ (300M Club)
22. BatCaveTrep (DI)

Thanks again,
-Ryan

See less See more
#108 ·
Good News! I got the prototype today! Now this isn't full scale, just a mere template so I can assure everything is aligned properly. In other words its a very thing piece of sheet metal (ie. no groove).

Everything lines up very well but I will admit it is not 100% exact. However, there is very little that needs touching up and depending on your opinions I may not edit it at all. The best part is that all of the pin holes (smallest holes on the spacer) that need to line up with the ones on the LIM are all exact. So much so that I can fit the a bolt with the same diameter through all of them at once. The only ones that may even consider adjustments are the ones along the outside. However, these are off by varying slight amounts all around. In addition, these have a large diameter then the screws themselves (nearly twice the diameter). SO, I'm thinking no adjustments should be needed but if necessary, they are easy and can be done quickly.

I will let the pictures do the rest of the talking. What the pictures are is this thin sheet metal prototpye attached to the V2 intake spacer. From this, you should be able to see the differences between the two. You will find the V3 spacer to be slightly thicker (to compensate for the groove).

One change I will be doing is extending the radius of certain fillets around the outside. Mine seem to be much smaller and I'd like the "ears" to have as much strength as possible so a little extra material won't hurt anything.

#109 ·
The critical areas are pretty much dead on from what I can see, the rest are just cosmetic. If I were you, I'd do the changes to the design to get them closer to the original spacer and then just send them to production. Even if they are a bit off afterwards it's no biggie, at least they're closer than before.

#110 ·
What I can also do is get a print out of the spacer at 100% scale. However, I can only access about 60% of the spacer this way as I only have the ability to print 8x10 paper. I can't figure out how to print out half and half.

I will adjust those areas that are of slight concern and get one full scale made and install that on my car. When everything is a go. I will make 30 of them for full scale production.

#111 ·
I've reversed engineered many items in my Machinist career and that does not look bad at all. Remember, your laying a copy on top of a copy. Have you placed your prototype on top of a real LIM? Seems to be the way the plenum and LIM match up with clearance for the coil packs are very forgiving.

Looks good & you are doing a great job on this spacer plate.

#112 ·
Thats a very good point actually. I have a spare LIM from the parts car and I threw the V2 spacer on there and it was slightly difficult to install. However, after moving and wiggling it around I got it to seat properly.

When I wen't to put the prototype on there, it was a no go. I could only get the top two holes to go through the pins. The lower one (as shown in the picture below) is too low and doesn't fit properly.

]

This is really strange considering I can fit all three bolts in those holes and the spacer fits fine matched up to each other. Even in the pictures you can see there is hardly any noticeable overlap. What I may just do is move that lower hole that won't line up and see if that fixes things. I'd really like to be able to print this out at home and line it up with the V2 spacer but unfortunately not :/

#113 · (Edited)
Here is how the EGR tubes will be modified. Rather then welding a single piece in line, I was talking with a friend and he suggested rather a colar to get a better weld. I could also try finding a piece of stainless with the same inner diameter but a little thicker so the weld has a better grab on the extension? Also below is the rig that will hold the tube for welding.

What do those of you with welding experience think about this?

Updated List!

If you are interested add your name to the list below:
1. Austin R/T (DI)
2. Adpros (DI)
3. YesImLDS (DI)
4. DjGreggieP (DI)
5. Bigde024 (DI)
6. Kent Vice (300M Club)
7. 300M-Mike (300M Club)
8. hrmwrm (LH)
9. chosen3001 (300M Club)
10. srt420 (LH)
11. Henry (N/A)
12. Cornelius (300M Club)
13. SilverSpecial (300M Club)
14. 02SilverSpecial6.1 (300M Club)
15. Fromans4 (LH)
16. Avalancha805 (DI)
17. akiharho- ledgic_13 (300M Club)
18. '87IROCZOWNER69 (DI)
19. BiliTheAxe (DI)
20. Mopar340dave (300M Club)
21. BXZ (300M Club)
22. BatCaveTrep (DI)
23. 99mopar (300M Club)
24. 300fam (LH)
25. 300Mazing (300M club)

#115 ·
Very Minor Adjustments Made! Prototype #2 getting made and shipped next week! Good progress so far guys.

Also finished off the gasket order. I have stupid money invested in these stupid pieces of rubber, PLEASE buy the gasket kits from me guys! I need to go over prices and see what I can do as far as discounts go. Should be seeing a nice 10-20% off retail!

Thanks again for following the thread and your interest! Hope to have this thing full scale within the next month guys! Full production this Spring/Early Summer! Just in time for your installs!

#118 ·

Prototype number 2 arrived today. There was a slight delay because the water jet was down for a few days or so and things got backed up. Lined it up and I overcompensated for the peg hole. I increased the radius and adjusted the location for one last run tonight. Just sent the email off for the first full scale model! I should get it within the next two weeks and then I will install it and give it a test. I think I'm going to throw it in the special for now since my M has the EGR equipped. However, if i can get the first modded EGR tube done I will install it on my personal M.

We are on the final stretch!!! Who wants their spacer first :p

#119 ·
First full scale model being mailed out today. Hopefully installed this weekend! Getting very close!

Going to order screws. How do these look? Can we manage with partially threaded screws?

The current bolts I got from the V2 set are 304 stainless steel bolts with a 700 N/mm2 tensile strength. However, I can't find the 304 series on McMaster-Carr

Metric 18-8 Stainless Steel

Made from 18-8 stainless steel, which offers excellent corrosion resistance, these metric cap screws have a Class 6g thread fit and may be mildly magnetic. They have a minimum tensile strength of 100,000 psi but are not rated for hardness. Screw length is measured from under the head. Fully threaded screws are also known as tap bolts.
These screws are M6 threads, hex bolt top, 90mm long, and can be fully or partially threaded. Full thread is $1.02 each. Partial thread is $0.52.

Metric Type 316 Stainless Steel

Made from Type 316 stainless steel, these fully threaded DIN 933-A4 screws are more corrosion resistant than 18-8 stainless steel screws and contain molybdenum, which increases resistance to chlorides and sulfates. Also known as tap bolts, they have a Class 6g thread fit and may be mildly magnetic. All have a minimum tensile strength of 101,500 psi but are not rated for hardness. Screw length is measured from under the head.
These are the same but different material and are $1.34 each and only come full threads

Metric Medium-Strength Steel—Class 8.8

Partially Threaded
Made from zinc-plated, heat-treated steel that's comparable to Grade 5 steel. All have a Class 6h thread fit. Sizes M6 and larger are marked on the head with 8.8. Screw length is measured from under the head. Fully threaded screws are also known as tap bolts.

Sizes through M16 have a minimum Rockwell hardness of C21 and minimum tensile strength of 116,000 psi.
These are $0.37 each but only come partially threaded.

#122 ·
ITS OFFICIAL! The V3 Intake Spacer has been COMPLETED!

As you can see, in comparison to the V2 spacer, this one is slightly less thick. Its because we started with a 3/8" blank which needs to be ground down do be level. However, this slight decrease in thickness is compensated for by the gasket. The gasket will obviously get pushed down when the bolts are torqued but the end result should be a spacer approx. 3/8" thick. Currently, the V3 spacer, with the gasket is thicker then the V2.

I also received 10 pound box of bolts and washers today as well as the tubing for the EGR modification. LET THE TEST TRAIL BEGIN! Expect these to be released and shipping within the next month!

Who's ready?!

#127 ·
Those brackets are some high grade steel. When I did it on the original spacer a long time ago we destroyed a drill and a dremel opening up the brackets. Later when Josh started making kits he pulled brackets off the car and drilled them out which is much easier. He did it by having a core charge and when you install your kit you send back your brackets for him to drill out for the next guy. It was a pretty good arrangement, but wouldn't work for shipping everyone their kits right away.

I have a full size floor standing drill press that could take care of them easily, but that still doesn't deal with the issue any better.

That spacer looks pretty slick.

Another thing that was done on Josh's kits was to provide different fasteners for the two front corner plenum brackets. Stock they sit on top of the plenum and screw in, but you can just put them under the plenum and use some bolts and nuts to attach them to the underside. Those weren't anything real special though, individuals could pick those up at a local hardware store easily.

#128 ·
First Batch ordered! Should be shipping out by next month hopefully!

Everything installed last night perfectly and without issues. Modified EGR tube worked great and fit right into place! Bolts fit in perfectly as well and look nice on the plenum. The one thing I messed up was ordering a EGR gasket but I'll take care of that this week. The only thing I did on the spot was modify the brackets and I just clamped them in a vice and drilled them out... The one on the passenger side SHOULD be modified ON the vehicle with the plenum OFF!!!! This would have saved me a bunch of time! With the two rears modified I just flipped the two front corner ones up and put the OEM bolts through from underneath. The only bracket I didn't reuse was the one at the center by the MTV. No use for it.

I think most should be able to modify the brackets themselves and this would really help speed up the sales process. Right now I only have one extra bracket and the passenger side is NOT coming off lol... it simply is not worth your effort to remove. This is why it should be drilled out while its on the car (assuming all the ports and holes into the engine are covered).

Thoughts?

#134 ·
Thanks to both!

Definitely noticed a change around highway speeds! You are not going to notice anything off the line from this though, as noted before. Its great for stepping on the gas to avoid something or get around a slow driver in the left lane :p I punched it today and it really takes off. Before the install, I always felt like I could sit behind a car, floor it for a second or two, and then start to merge to pass them. However, now, I feel if I do this I will ram them in the rear! I mean I may be slightly exaggerating but I like the improvement! However, my opinions are slightly biased. The real test is to ask those that have already installed (v1-v3) and get their thoughts.

As for economy, lol don't ask me. If it helps, my economy hasn't changed and lets just say, i've been putting my car though a testing phase for the past few weeks :p So I image a slight increase in MPG is plausible. However, it really depends on the driver in all honesty.

Only way to find out for yourself is to throw one in there ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.