coolant
12K views 36 replies 11 participants last post by  HiTechRedNeck 
#1 · (Edited)
I have researched and found the following calibration numbers:

2003-2004 LH 2.7L Euro UNLTD 149MPH...04896512AC
2003-2004 LH 2.7L GCC LTD...04896514AC
2003-2004 LH 2.7L GCC UNLTD...04896513AC
2003-2004 LH 2.7L NLEV W/O MTV...04896511AC

now I know these are the latest calibrations for my car. the "Euro" is obviously a flash for Europe. I know that "LTD" & "UNLTD" are limited and unlimited, and I assume that is in regard to the speed limits.

What is GCC?
What is LNEV?
What is MTV? Solved - Manifold Tuning Valve

I couldn't find any info on these abbreviations. My PCM is all messed up and has a bad flash... my mech an I are trying to determine which would be the best flash to use. right now my PCM is reporting two calibrations... 04896511AC and 04896760AB & AC... every time I read the calibration settings the numbers change between these three and two others that don't come out complete (my mech has confirmed this with his reader). I can't even find any reference to 04896760xx being a flash for a 2.7 or any intrepid for that matter. so I don't know where this PCM came from, I just know that it was changed mid-'06.

if anyone has any insight, I'd appreciate it...

also, I've reviewed the flashing process and found out that the 2004 PCMs have the TCM built-in and that the TCM must be programmed at the same time... I know that our 2.7s have an EATX3B automatic tranmission and the latest TCM calibrations are 2003, but there are different flavors of those transmissions...

JR, RG, TJ, WJ, & RS... anyone know the right one or how to tell the difference?

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
well, there are a few ways to do it...

1. rent DRBIII from Chrysler ($150/3days, they mail it to you and you mail it back... requires $5200 deposit via credit card)
2. find a mech with a DRB-compatible (J2534) flash unit (about $100, my mech has a pass-thru device, he has used it on dodge vehicles before)
3. buy a DRB-compatible flash unit (about $500)

the programming (calibrations as they call them) can be purchased from Chrysler...

https://techauthority.gltghosting.c...rHome?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10051

go through the shopping area, setup an account, you can buy access to calibrations by subscription (24-hours/$20.00, 30-days/$200.00, 1-Year/$1500.00). that gives you access to anything the dealer can get. to know what is available, click the "J2534 Flash Availability" on the left and that takes you to a PDF file of the possible calibrations and TSB/recalls associated with certain PCM/TCM(s). just lookup year & engine... it shows yo what is available...

if you find a nice mech, like mine, he is letting me make the choice of the flash, I just need to figure out which is the best ones for me and my car. J2534 is a few of the pins in the OBDII connector. the connector has 16pins, not even half are used by OBD readers and some of the pins were left open by the OBD standards for manufacturer use... I am still trying to figure out which pins are J2534 in our cars, but it's what makes the different between OBDII readers and the DRBIII from Chrysler. if you had or modified a reader to connect to OBD and have the capabilities of J2534, you would have a DRB-compatible device. there are out there... this is not a make-believe device.

oh, you can also look up your SKIM pin numbers from that site... it's what the dealers use...

here is an example of a passthru device for programming chrysler PCMs... http://www.drewtech.com/products/Mongoose/mongoosesci.html

#6 ·

now I know these are the latest calibrations for my car. the "Euro" is obviously a flash for Europe. I know that "LTD" & "UNLTD" are limited and unlimited, and I assume that is in regard to the speed limits.

What is GCC? Solved - Gulf Cooperation Council
What is LNEV? Solved - Northeast States & California

above is what I found out with regard to the abbreviations... I'm posting in case anyone else wants or needs the info...

#8 · (Edited)
actually, I haven't yet... I have found out that the 04896760AB & AC calibrations I am getting are the TCM calibrations (since the PCM & TCM computers are in one box on my 2004). no one can explain why the PCM and TCM seem to be "switching" like they are within the OBD readers that have recorded the issue. I suspect, as well as others, that when the PCM was flashed for my car in late 2007, the TCM was not flashed with the proper calibration (Chrysler's procedures require PCM & TCM to be flashed together, then initialized with BCM to synchronize the transfer of information). since the above calibrations for the TCM cannot be verified as being correct (they are not in the book as a current TCM calibration).

I have yet to identify which of the possible transmission calibrations are the correct one for my model or how to even tell the difference. I've tried contacting Chrysler about the issue and of course they refer me to the local dealer... but I seem to be making some head way with them in my favor... we shall see.

my problem has seen some correction...

current threads:
http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?t=124649
http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?t=110485

it seems that the problem may not be totally the PCM/TCM programming, but there is an issue there... to summarize, (1) of my upstream o2 sensors that were in the car, wasn't even for my car and both downstream o2 sensors are reading too low ohms for the heating element side of the sensor. after replacing the wrong sensor with a temporary bosh unit (while I wait for my ordered NTKs to come in) my hesitation problems went away... I still have problems, but I am finally getting the upper hand and plan to tie all these threads together with a complete solution...

I will keep you all posted... I'm still doing research and waiting for parts...

to answer your question about which flash I'm going to use... I am going to leave it the one it is... 2003-2004 LH 2.7L NLEV W/O MTV...04896511AC ... my car is a CA car and I need to keep the smog testability intact for my license requirements... but I would've loved to run that GCC Unlimited... it just sounded like a good one... but that calibration doesn't control EVAP and here in CA the smog tech plugs into OBD as part of the smog test/inspection... I'd get caught, can't use it... darn....

when I figure out which TCM calibration I need to have, I will be flashing the PCM/TCM...

#9 ·
Now is this able to re-flash the pcm or do you need a blank pcm to flash your settings on?

#10 · (Edited)
well there are two schools of thought...

my mech says he has "re-flashed" with no problem...

dealer says flash to new PCM/TCM box...

I read somewhere about some changes to OBD in or around 2002... basically it was to standardize the flashing ability of ECUs by non-dealers... I don't know if it included the 2002 model year or not, but everything after that change was to be "re-flashable" and the process was to be made public so consumers could seek help from a non-dealer source...

I will find the publication and post it...

there is also a publication I'm trying to find again that says manufacturers must release manufacturer-specific OBD protocols to consumers on request... I think it's because of those rules that force dodge to give SKIM PINs to the vehicle owner...

I'm trying to get this all together and post it... I was searching for things and didn't make links to all I found... I should have... but I will find it again...

I plan to use this information to get dodge to give me the info I need. so far emails to corporate have been the run around and a standard "take it to your local dealer" response... but I'm not giving up... one way or another, I will get my info...

so far from the various vendors of ECU flash devices, they suggest that all ECUs are re-flashable...

#11 ·
Not Just Dealers Anymore

Until recently, car dealers were the only ones who had access to the tools and software needed to reflash PCMs. Thanks to the passing of Senate Bill 1146 in September 2000, vehicle manufacturers must now make this technology available to independent repair shops at reasonable cost.

Starting in 2004, flash reprogramming procedures must also conform to SAE J2534 standards that allow the use of aftermarket scan tools or similar pass-through devices.

Reflashing PCMs requires three things: a scan tool or J2534 pass-through device that is flash capable, a Windows 98 or higher PC with a modem and Internet access for downloading the flash software from the vehicle manufacturer's website (Click Here for a list of OEM Service Websites & Access Fees), and a subscription to the manufacturer's database so you can access the software or get the software updates on CDs. Other items that are needed include a cable to connect the PC to the scan tool or J2534 pass-through device, and a cable to connect the scan tool or J2534 pass-through device to the OBD II connector on the vehicle.

For GM applications, you need a Tech 2 scan tool or Vetronix Mastertech.

For Ford applications, you need a Ford New Generation Star (NGS) scan tool, or their new IDS scan tool.

For Chrysler applications, you need a Diagnostic and Reprogramming Tool (DART) or a Chrysler DRB III scan tool. These tools are available from OTC Div of SPX Corp. To view or download a copy of the DART users manual, Click Here (The manual is a PDF file).

For import applications, you need whatever factory scan tool the dealer uses, an aftermarket scan tool with reflash capabilities for that vehicle, or a J2534 pass-through device that will work on the vehicle.

Yearly and monthly access fees to OEM databases tend to be very pricey for the average shop, but one-day or short-term access fees are typically available for $20 to $25. The cost can and should be passed along to your customers. After all, it is their PCM that is being reflashed so why shouldn't they pay the OEM software access fee?

On GM and Chrylser applications, flash updates are supplied on CDs once you pay a subscrption fee. With Ford, the softare is downloaded from their website via an internet connection. The software is then loaded from the CD to your PC. From here, the software may be copied to a flash card which is then plugged into a scan tool for transfer to the vehicle, or it is copied through the J2534 pass-thru box or scan tool to the vehicle. With Ford, you have to keep a live internet connection for the duration of the procedure because Ford loads the software into the vehicle directly from its own server).

The flash procedure can takes from a few minutes up to an hour depending on the file size of the softare you are installing. The newer and more complex the vehicle, the longer it typically takes to flash the PCM.
this is from... PCM Flash Reprogramming

#12 · (Edited)

What is GCC? Solved - Gulf Cooperation Council (6 Arab states in the gulf region)
What is NLEV? Solved - Northeast States & California, LEV = Low Emission Vehicle

please note the change above... LEV = Low Emission Vehicle... I found this definition within my Vehicle Information Report, from the dealer... I would suspect that the N = National, but I don't know... didn't see that used...

also note the added definition for the GCC... just as I thought... it's a flash for a non-US purpose... I suspect even further that these calibrations will not use US-regulated emissions equipment in our cars...

but on the other hand... the GCC flash may be fun at the track... especially the unlimited one...

I've not yet identified the transmission, but I'm still working on it...

also, a bit of an FYI: according to Chrysler, my PCM was not changed by a dealer... their dealers have strict rules they must follow to replace the PCM/TCM in any car and that process includes placing a dealer sticker on the outside of the PCM casing that includes not only the dealer contact info, but the calibration that was programmed, and why the PCM was replaced... mine had no such sticker... so we have concluded that it was not done by a dealer. Chrysler was not forthcoming with where the PCM came from after I supplied the serial number from the case, but they did confirm that it was NOT originally programmed for a 2004 Intrepid 2.7... which I knew already considering the manufacture date on the case was 06-2007... well after my car was built and sold... they did tell me that I should have it re-flashed "properly" for my vehicle by my local dealer...

as of yet... they will not tell me which calibrations need to be in my PCM/TCM, and they will not confirm the use of the current TCM calibration...

#15 ·
...as of yet... they will not tell me which calibrations need to be in my PCM/TCM, and they will not confirm the use of the current TCM calibration...
How arrogant of you to act like you actually own the car and have the right to know what's going on with it!! LOL!

#14 ·
no problem... I just believe if you're gonna do it.. do it right... I don't care to ask questions of anyone... and I'm a bit tenacious when they give me the run around... but I eventually get my answers...

and I never have a problem sharing...

you're welcome...

#17 ·
I would have to think that when Chrysler went to the one unit(PCM) it would have to be reflashable. After all the years of transmission trouble, they wouldn't make a unit that would have to be replaced if there was a trans parameter update. That would cost them money, and they don't like that. I see it all the time at work and it's always the same with Chrysler: If it's a cheaper way of doing something, they will do it that way.

#20 ·
also, I've reviewed the flashing process and found out that the 2004 PCMs have the TCM built-in and that the TCM must be programmed at the same time... I know that our 2.7s have an EATX3B automatic tranmission and the latest TCM calibrations are 2003, but there are different flavors of those transmissions...

JR, RG, TJ, WJ, & RS... anyone know the right one or how to tell the difference?
well, I finally figured out the 2-letter codes for our transmissions...

:banghead: they are the body or model codes... :banghead:

Here are all the current calibrations for our transmissions:

1996 LH EATXIII Autostick TCM...05100095AA
1996 LH EATXIII Non Autostick TCM...05100094AA
1997 LH EATXIII Autostick TCM...04606456AC
1997 LH EATXIII Non Autostick TCM...04606455AC
1998 LH EATXIII Autostick TCM...04606082AK
1998 LH EATXIII Non Autostick TCM...04606081AK
1999-2000 LH EATX3A Autostick TCM...04606517AF
2001 LH EATX3B TCM...04896430AG

I didn't find a non-autostick calibration for 2000 and everything after that makes no distinction between autostick and non-autostick. I suspect those computers have the autostick capability? comments anyone?

there have been TSBs with regard to shifting and valve controls on the LH cars... but none of those caused a change in the last calibration made in the 2001 model year...

so with regard to my car... the PCM/TCM are scrambled and the TCM has the wrong calibration... now I have the info I need to make sure it gets flashed correctly and I will be setting that appointment soon...

will keep you all posted...

#21 ·
Your information is interesting.
The engine and trans flash coding is done with Microsoft Access, and consists of about 25,000 lines from what I have found so far.
It is contained on the CSIS flash DVD that Chrysler supplies to the dealers.

Unfortunately, I haven't figured out what it all means.
There are also different cables needed to use the flash programming. They are not the same ones used in the OBDII diagnostics or the DRBIII diagnostics.

One of these days, I'll get more time to fool with the programming.
Also, the memory & processor chips in the engine controllers have all had the part and identifier numbers removed on all of the ones I have disassembled.

And to answer the question above, all 99 to 2004 LH trans or NGEC have auto-stick preprogrammed.

Another thing, your statement that the BCM must be disconnected during a reflash would be difficult, since the data link PCI bus goes through the BCM to the PCM, so by disconnecting the BCM, a flash would not be possible.
The book I have doesn't mention that, it just says that a battery charger must be attached in order to maintain at least 12 volts, and to not touch anythng during the flash process.
YOu are correct that the programs are stored in the EEPROM in the unit, and it can be erased by using a 21 volt source to the "correct" terminals.

#22 · (Edited)
Your information is interesting.
The engine and trans flash coding is done with Microsoft Access, and consists of about 25,000 lines from what I have found so far.
It is contained on the CSIS flash DVD that Chrysler supplies to the dealers.
that is interesting as well... I've not looked at and flash files yet, as I don't have access to the flashes stored on the TechAuthority Website (just haven't paid for a subscription yet)...

Unfortunately, I haven't figured out what it all means.
There are also different cables needed to use the flash programming. They are not the same ones used in the OBDII diagnostics or the DRBIII diagnostics.

One of these days, I'll get more time to fool with the programming.
Also, the memory & processor chips in the engine controllers have all had the part and identifier numbers removed on all of the ones I have disassembled.
I don't know about the DRBIII and it's collection of cables... I do know about the flash device that my mech has and he can use that same cable for flash programming and diagnostics in the same cable... just different software on the PC... the same is for the Mongoose cable I mentioned from Drew Tech...

Chrysler (SCI/CAN)

it figures that they would strip all the markings off the chips...

And to answer the question above, all 99 to 2004 LH trans or NGEC have auto-stick preprogrammed.
thanks, good to know and I was wandering about that... I've thought about finding an autostick to install...

Another thing, your statement that the BCM must be disconnected during a reflash would be difficult, since the data link PCI bus goes through the BCM to the PCM, so by disconnecting the BCM, a flash would not be possible.
The book I have doesn't mention that, it just says that a battery charger must be attached in order to maintain at least 12 volts, and to not touch anythng during the flash process.
YOu are correct that the programs are stored in the EEPROM in the unit, and it can be erased by using a 21 volt source to the "correct" terminals.
I don't remember if that procedure came from my mech's manual originally or if I read it some where else... my mech knew of that issue before I asked him about it. basically, if you have any issues at all flashing a PCM/TCM the first troubleshooting item is disconnect the BCM and try flashing again...

the wiring diagram I have from the 2003-2004 FSM has the OBDII port connected to the PCM & BCM on a common harness... could your's be different?

I will post that procedure as soon as I find it again...

Note from TSB 18-029-07 - Engine Controls - Programming Generic PCMs dated April 26, 2007

NOTE :When flashing a 2002 - 2004 LH vehicle the BCM may need to be disconnected if experiencing failures during the flash of the transmission portion of the PCM. The BCM will need to be disconnected after the module ID portion of the flash is complete. Before pressing Page Forward to begin the flash of the PCM Turn the Key to the OFF position and disconnect the BCM. Then turn the KEY to the RUN position and Press Page Forward to begin the PCM flash session.
if you want the entire TSB, just PM me, I have access to all the TSB for 2003-2004... sorry I don't have any others right now...

or do we have a place to post them here... I could do that too...

#23 ·
All the wiring diagrams show the PCI bus as going through the BCM, and having had seveal dozen harnesses apart, that seems to be true of all of them, so not sure how that works. However, somewhere I did see that one wire in the data-link was called a "flash" wire, but can't seem to find that reference again.

If only they could be more "giving" with this now-obsolete information...................

#24 · (Edited)
All the wiring diagrams show the PCI bus as going through the BCM, and having had seveal dozen harnesses apart, that seems to be true of all of them, so not sure how that works. However, somewhere I did see that one wire in the data-link was called a "flash" wire, but can't seem to find that reference again.
DATA LINK CONNECTOR - BLACK 16 WAY

CAV CIRCUIT FUNCTION
1 - -
2 D25 20VT/YL PCI BUS (BCM)
3 - -
4 Z1 20BK GROUND
5 Z2 20BK/LG GROUND
6 - -
7 D21 20PK/TN SCI TRANSMIT (PCM)
8 F11 20RD/WT FUSED IGNITION SWITCH OUTPUT (OFF-RUN-START)
9 D19 20VT/OR SCI RECEIVE (TCM)
10 - -
11 - -
12 D20 20LG SCI RECEIVE (PCM)
13 - -
14 - -
15 D15 20WT/DG SCI TRANSMIT (TCM)
16 F62 18RD FUSED B(+)

here is the ODBII connector pinout, from my 2003-2004 FSM... sorry it's hard to read...

basically it lists the pin number first, then the circuit no & wire color(s), last the function and what it is connected to... I didn't add or interpret anything here... copied straight from the manual: 2003-2004 LH Powertrain Manual, Connector Pinouts Ch 9.0, AKA pg 337.

I do see where OBDII Pin 2 goes directly to the BCM... the wire I was talking about is OBDII Pin 9 D19 20VT/OR... it is a common wire that goes to the SCI Receive (TCM), but this wire also goes to the BCM on the wiring scheme... the rest go straight the their respective targets only... the wiring scheme that I'm looking at is 2003-2004 LH Service Manual, Wiring Ch 8W, BUS Communications 8W-18-2.

If only they could be more "giving" with this now-obsolete information...................
yes, I agree with that one...

#25 ·
also, if anyone with a 2003 or 2004 LH car that wants the FSMs, I have them all in searchable PDF...

I have:
2003 LH Body Manual, 652pg, 2.9MB
2004 LH Body Supplement, 76pg, 0.5MB
2003-2004 LH Powertrain, 368pg, 1.7MB
2003-2004 LH Chassis, 66pg, 0.5MB
2003-2004 LH Transmission, 208pg, 0.9MB
2003-2004 LH Service Manual, 1672pg, 54.8MB

all but the service manual is email-able, just too big to do that... maybe I can just snail-mail some mini CDs...

#26 ·
If you check the previous year datalink pinouts, you'll see that all years are not created equal. Acording to the DRBIII operating manual, all programming is done via the PCI BUS wire - purple/yellow. However, I would like to acquire a newer version of the manual, so there may be additional info available.

#28 ·
Actually The PCM and TCM is flashed over the SCI bus. Atleast our DRBIII never communicates with the PCM/TCM over the PCI bus. We had issues with the BCM trying to communicate with the PCM whilst in a flash and it would crash the flash session that's why it may say to disconnect it. If you have any other questions or requirments for information I'm a chrysler tech and have access to Dealer Connect. Just PM me, I'm on every couple of days.

#29 ·
thanks, your comments just made something "click"...

OBDII for our cars use Pins 2, 5, 16... that's it... 16 is power, 5 is ground, and 2 is the bi-directional PCI BUS... other than power and ground... OBDII in our cars is just one bi-directional wire...

so the DRBIII and other pass-thru devices uses pins 7, 9, 12, 15 each being a transmit and receive for the PCM & TCM respectively... that makes sense, some of the API commands in the flash software for PCs using a pass-thru device were simple comm commands... I may have just figured out what they are using inside the pass-thru device to communicate with the PC and the car... ooooh, I need a junked ECU to play with...

more to come guys...

#32 ·
well, first, welcome to the forum... I see you're new here.

second, in all my research, the unlimited calibrations are in the neighborhood of 145-149mph... but given the nature of those calibrations (outside the US) it raises question as to whether it would even work given the amount of emissions equipment on our cars...

not to mention the physical & design limitations of our v6s... I wouldn't want to see our 2.7s turning that many rpms... the damage would be devastating...

I didn't know what the limiter was set at here in the states, but 110 should be about right for our engines taking into account rpm vs mph... and yet again we still have other factors that play such as tires, suspension, and brakes... just a bunch of stuff that wasn't really designed to go that fast...

to get back to your question on how to bypass or disable the limiter... I'm sure the limiter is completely electronic and the only way to "open her up" would be to re-flash the PCM with one of the unlimited calibrations... I know of no other way...

even if you had one of those calibrations, I'm not sure there isn't a mechanical governor of some sort in the tranny to protect it from damage...

anyway, hope this all helps and good luck with the limiter fight... be safe out there...

#34 ·
On 2nd gen., the battery is hard to get to - it's easier to disconnect power by disconnecting main ground at passenger side strut tower (or there's a fuse - fuse N - to pull in the PDC). But these guys are discussing *reflashing* the PCM, which means re-loading its firmware (software) - not just resetting it.

#35 ·
well, I do appologize that it's taken over a month to get my PCM/TCM re-programming scheduled... but rest assured, you guys will know something by tonight... I dropped off my car to the mech this morning at 6am... he wasn't opened yet, but it was the best time for me... the process is only 2hrs long, so I expect to hear something soon and will report the results after that...

hopefully it will answer questions and fix my problems...

#36 · (Edited)
well, we found out a few things...

we found 6 way not to flash a PCM... lol

we are going to try again tomorrow... but here is what we now so far...

first off, this is the device my mech has...

Welcome to Blue Streak Electronics Inc.

after loading the device drivers for windows (it comes with drivers and no software), you simply run the software of the manufacturer for the vehicle you are flashing... in this case, we logged into Tech Authority, paid our $20 for a day and downloaded and installed the latest flash software from Chrysler... after that, you either put the car's VIN into the search or you can search for the P/N of the flash you want or you can have the device ask the car those things... after you have found the flash(es) you want, it downloads them to a spot on the computer that you can't find... lol believe me, I tried to find it... once that is done you simply follow the on-screen instructions and away it goes...

well, I had to leave the shop when the PCM started... by the time I had got back, the TCM had failed... so we reset the proceedure, and again, failed... 3 more failures and we were both getting fustrated... so we tried to flash one of those GCC Unlimited calibrations... went right in without any problem, got to the TCM and failed again...

so, we did prove...
1. that you can keep re-flashing a PCM/TCM in at least a post-2002 car...
2. you can overwrite the original flash with a different one...
3. after looking at some of my notes, we should've tried to unplug the BCM as suggested in the re-flash TSB (this will be the first thing to try in the morning)...
4. you don't have to have a DRBIII to program a post-2002 chrysler vehicle
5. after trying to run the car with that GCC flash... I do really believe they don't use any emissions equipment, lol for all the error codes we got out of the car when we fired it up... but it did drive down the road with issues of performance... in fact, it was quite peppy (and no, I didn't take it to the listed 149MPH... I want to keep my car in one piece, lol)...
6. we found out that my $45 OBD-to-PC is alot better than the Snap-On OBD-to-PC reader... that thing couldn't even get the VIN from the car...

anyways... here is what we have so far, and I hope to have a full success tomorrow...

have a good night... oh, and yes, I'm in a good mood over all this... I like it when things work...

#37 · (Edited)
well, we got success today...

went to the shop, hooked everything up... after the ID process for the car (step 1 & 2), unplugged the BCM, got through all 10 steps of the programming process (yesterday was only getting to step 3, PCM programming, before giving an error)... plugged in the BCM and everything was great...

I learned a lot about flashing... it was really cool...

originally I thought the PCM/TCM had not been flashed properly when the prior owner replaced it. I wasn't able to confirm that because using my OBD reader, everything still looks the same. I did notice smoother shifting... I will wait until this weekend when I install the o2 sensors to reset all the on-board computers...

oh, I almost forgot... the process costed $125...

this weekend I will be installing (4) new NTK O2 Sensors and hopefully that is the last of my issues...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.