DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

3.5 HO K&N Cold Air Intake

15K views 89 replies 19 participants last post by  Intrepticon 
#1 ·
I know there are probably a lot of threads about cold air intakes, but I was wondering what you guys thought of their worth. I have a 2002 Intrepid SXT 3.5 HO with 58,000 miles and a Mangaflow exhaust. Honestly, I always thought that cold air intakes were pointless on a gas motor, but I rode in my friends Cobalt that just had a K&N intake put on it, and it sounded much deeper and was quicker (the rest of the car is stock). So is it worth it? I assume that this is the correct one:

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=57-1522

Thank you.

#89 · (Edited)
Hi, I was wondering about the factory designed opening in the fender, which I always took for granted as a port, or opening for cooler outside air to flow into the engine compartment for the stock air box or K&N type air filter,
I've never seen the fender off, and can't tell there the outside air enters the fender while the car is in motion for this flow of air to work.
Are we sure this really works like we(or I) think?
Air comes into the compartment from many areas, are we sure air isn't pushed out of that fender hole? Or doesn't really do anything? No doubt all would work just fine if that opening was sealed, just wondering if that works like it appears to? Probably hard to prove now, the factory guys had the all tools/equipment and sensors in engineering the cars.

#90 · (Edited)
Hi, I was wondering about the factory designed opening in the fender, which I always took for granted as a port, or opening for cooler outside air to flow into the engine compartment for the stock air box or K&N type air filter,
I've never seen the fender off, and can't tell there the outside air enters the fender while the car is in motion for this flow of air to work.
Are we sure this really works like we(or I) think?
Yes this is how the engine gets its air. In motion and idle. if you remove the air box and stick you hand in there you will feel a curved shield (opens toward the cab.) this is to prevent rain from going into the box..

Air comes into the compartment from many areas, are we sure air isn't pushed out of that fender hole?
Air does come into the engine compartment but there is only one opening into the Intake plenum. That big long tube going from the air box to the engine is completely sealed. If there was another way that the engine was sucking in air then there would be another filter.

Or doesn't really do anything? No doubt all would work just fine if that opening was sealed,
Ever try to breath though a pillow... it would be the same effect on the engine.

just wondering if that works like it appears to? Probably hard to prove now, the factory guys had the all tools/equipment and sensors in engineering the cars.
Yes this is how it works... and not really hard to prove... you can seal the hole and try to start the car..it will run like crap.. your MAP sensor will probably trip, etc.

Now if your looking at a CAI (cold air induction) then the intake is different from the stock. instead of the box your using a cone filter and running it via piping down to the bottom of the engine for cold air (or using a dam) to block off the warm air...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.