DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Steering problem

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  txz28 
#1 ·
Any idea what can cause my problem:

When I take a tight turn to the left my steering begins to pull left and when I take a tight turn to the right my steering begins to pull right?

I have new tie rods, inner tie rod poly bushings, rack and pinion bushings and lower control arms.

Is it possible that a broken strut mount is causing this?

My car is '95 LHS without propotional steering.

Also can I fit 2 gen steering rack on this pre '96 car? My rack is the old clamp style rack.

#2 ·
Sounds like your rack might be shifting from side to side so i would check to make sure the rack is still torqued to spec.

Have someone turn the wheels back and forth so you can see how far its moving.

If you have a broken strut mount i would not drive it any longer until its fixed and if it is broke it could be binding up not allowing the rack to recenter out of a turn.

Iv heard a 2nd gen rack can be modded to work but im not sure what needs to be done.

If it were me i would look into a 96-97 rack which is mounted the same way as the 2nd gens but might be as simple as unbolting the old rack and putting in the new one with no modding.

#4 ·
Do I have to drill them on a vehicle body or on the rack. 96-97 rack looks weird and I noticed there are no bushings avaible for it. What's up with that? I have a chance to get second hand 96-97 prop.steering rack cheap. Are there bushings avaible for that thing somewhere?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.