DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Auto Mate AM6 Installed over factory alarm help

4K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  MrBigE 
#1 ·
This is my first post so i'll try to make it clear

I have a 99 Chrysler Concorde LXi 3.2

I have an Auto Mate AM6 Remote start installed and it seems its installed alongside with the factory alarm.

Heres my problem, if i have the key in the switch and try the remote start, it will start and stay running, if i take the key out without doing anything (locking doors, shutting door etc) it will start, run, then shut off.

It seems like the factory alarm is killing the fuel, any way around the factory alarm, or even disable it completely?

BTW I do not have the factory fobs, only the Auto Mate fob (unlock, lock, remote start, trunk unlock)

Thanks

#3 ·
So to clarify:

When the key is in the ignition, and you activate the remote start, it works.

However, if you take the key out of the ignition, then try to remote start the car, then it does not work?

Correct?

First question is: Does your car have the Sentry Key w/ a SKIM Module.Im not sure on the years that was offered, so I just want to double check anyways. You'll know b/c your key will be gray, instead of black.

#5 ·
I wonder what kind of SKIM bypass is installed? If they had to program one of your keys to the bypass module, it's possible that it 'lost' its programming since the battery was disconnected for a relatively long period of time. Maybe.

The computer is shutting down the engine when it doesn't detect a valid SKIM key code.

Be careful testing the remote start w/o the key in the ignition until you get it figured out. If there's a certain number of starts w/o a proper key detected, I think it can lock up the computer - then you're lookin' at a tow, I believe.

#6 · (Edited)
6 failed attempts = PCM lockout.

Learned the hard way! Luckily. was only swapping PCMs, unluckily lost my 02 Special PCM.

I don't think the battery being disconnected could have lost its programming. PCMs sit on shelves for a while not even hooked up to a car, then get swapped into another car with no problem.

#7 ·
I don't think the battery being disconnected could have lost its programming. PCMs sit on shelves for a while not even hooked up to a car, then get swapped into another car with no problem.
I'm not referring to the PCM - talking about the unit attached to the alarm that's simulating the SKIM key. Some units actually require you to bury a valid key in the dash (which pretty much defeats SKIM since there's always a valid transponder within range), others can 'clone' one of your keys and transmit the code to the SKIM module during startup. My guess is he has a programmable bypass module, and that's what has reset itself or something.

#8 · (Edited)
Heres my problem, if i have the key in the switch and try the remote start, it will start and stay running, if i take the key out without doing anything (locking doors, shutting door etc) it will start, run, then shut off.
The SKIM needs the programmed transponder key within its range in order for the car to start and run correctly, which is in the middle of the ring (typically where you put the key to start the car, although others say just taping a Sentry Key to the SKIM works) of the SKIM module.

Maybe your alarm was hooked up like any other alarm system, with no consideration of your factory anti-theft system, thus creating your problem.

See if putting the grey head of your key close to the ignition cylinder ring (without putting the key in), and see if the remote start works that way. If so, what I explained is probably the problem.

#10 · (Edited)
i tried your method, i put the key barely in probably just 1/8th of an inch give or take and it will work without the factory red led light in center of dash flashing, but when i try it without key in the lock cylinder, it doesnt work...so does that mean i have to program my remote start remote to the car now? but having the key close to the cylinder without putting it in will not work

#9 ·
i can confirm taht 6 failed attempts doesn't mess up the car, i've tried over 20 times i know of. but i did find one of the factory remotes...if thats any help i do remember when they first put the remote start on, the factory remote did not work after that, but now it does.

#13 ·
omg i fixed it, i can't believe how stupid i am by over looking this....all it was was

a stupid 18g ground wire that had come loose....

what it is, my am6 has a 555u bypass module that loops around the lock cylinder to make the computer think theres a key in there when theres not....it wasn't sending voltage checked and it was a stupid ground wire.....

bad thing is it took 10 beers to conclude that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.