#1 ·
This is my new ride.
2004 Dodge Intrepid SXT (White)
3.5 Liter
Leather seats
Premium sound
Sun roof
Still looking to see what else it has.

Needs tranny solenoid and inner tie rod ends installed at this time for sure, but the engine runs rock solid and smooth.

I took a chance getting it from a wholesale used car dealer and paid 2500.00, and it turns out he had reset the trouble codes on it. Sale was as is, and even though this is annoying, I still feel that I have the makings of one very nice car after I get the bugs worked out.

See less See more
#6 ·
You've got to be kidding.
You are joking, right?

3.5HO, wing, fog lights, leather and sun roof are all very common for a highly optioned SXT.
I bet it has a real nice Infinity system, OTIS, ATC, split folding rear seat back, Auto dimming mirror...The full meal deal!

The reason I say you must be kidding is because NOBODY is going to go through all the trouble
and expense to cut a whole and add a sun roof in a 2004 Intrepid. And you've been
around here long enough to know better! :D

--Terry

#11 · (Edited)
My 2003 sxt did not come with leather seat. I purchased mine a year or so ago locally. Frome the original owner and at the time . The only option he order with his is the sunroof. He wanted leather seat , but at the time he thought the extra cash to spend on the seats was a waste of money. So my sxt is pretty plain except for the factory sunroof , trunk spoler, fog light was all factory option at the time of order And chrome momentums . And 3.5 h.o i think was standard if im not mistaken. i wish it did have leather seats. i found a set at the yard .but it has been raining lately and besides i dont have a truck to move them yet.

#12 · (Edited)
The sunroof in my son's 2003 SXT was installed by the dealer, looks factory but it isn't so! Matching the interior to close it off in the headliner isn't a big deal, the pro's do it all the time. His switch was also installed in the center of the map light making it appear "factory", but it isn't.

#17 · (Edited)
p0706
p0562
p1776
p0841

I've found that after the car has been driven about 30 miles the transmission performs flawlessly, but before then if I exceed 45 miles an hour, and then have to decelerate to below that, the engine will buck once randomly and then the car goes into limp mode. Pulling over and restarting the car is the only way to get the car working in all gears again.

I'm thinking of trying to pick up new input and output transmission sensors tomorrow and throwing them in. Can't hurt and from what I have been reading in my research, might just correct the issue.

Any advise?

#21 · (Edited)
For those people who missed the other thread about what happened to my car. Something in the engine failed under hard acceleration that caused it to loose power and sound like it had hammers in it. The general consensus has been that a valve got hung up and bent.

The car went to the shop today to see exactly what failed in the engine. The guy at the shop is going to push for rebuilding that motor with the warranty company.

Wish me luck, I really want that car to live again.

#27 ·
Well, the news from the shop was as expected, the engine is toast. Main bearing failure was the problem.

Also, the warranty company is claiming that the damage was from normal wear and tear, so they are refusing to cover it, which left me with some decisions to make.

I already have spent $3,000 bucks on the car buying it and getting the normal maintenance done, so if I cut my losses and junked it, I would only get a few hundred bucks back.
Or
I can do what my heart and some logic is telling me to do, and save the beast.

The shop told me that they can get me a 90,000 mile replacement motor installed for $3,300 bucks that will have a shop warranty of 90 days, or 3,000 miles.

What I have decided to do after a lot of thought is to save the beast from destruction, although it will be a couple more weeks for me to get the rest of the money put together to do it with.

At least then I will have a car with a body that is in excellent condition, with a lower mileage engine. I had the car on a lift once, and the under carriage is in awesome shape, no rust and no sign of wear at all, and the tranny is in great working condition with a new solenoid pack already installed.

I think I am making the right choice on this, because after all, isn't this why we are all here?? To save the cars that we truly do enjoy???

#32 · (Edited)
I thought the link you posted to the dealers ad indicated it was an ES?
The dealer ad did say it was an ES, but they had no idea what they had apparently, because according to the dodge owners site it really is an SXT, and not just an ES with SXT stickers on it.

VIN:
2B3HD56G44H678696
Model:
2004 DODGE INTREPID ES/SXT FOUR-DOOR SEDAN
Drive:
FWD
Odometer:
64007 (on 11-02-2006)

#34 · (Edited)
Found this on Wikipedia

The R/T was discontinued in 2003 but a new SXT model kept the 3.5 L High Output motor, increased to a 250 hp (186 kW) power rating. The SXT moniker was eventually used across the Dodge product line as a trim level. The Intrepid SXT was basically a base model Intrepid SE with the 3.5 H.O. engine taken from the R/T, with some "sportier" features such as a sunroof and spoiler. It was a value trim model actually classified as an ES (SXT), but had less features than the ES did with a more powerful motor.

So basically the SXT's are more powerful ES models that just have a few sportier features added, while some other options are apparently left out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.