DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

The Intrepid is dead...

2K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  MarkTN 
#1 ·
After 6 years, 83000 miles, two PCS moves, numerous trips across the eastern side of the country to visit family...

...I was rear-ended on Monday. :let_it_al

I did not think that the damage was all that bad, but I received a call from USAA's Total Loss Department on Tuesday, at which time I was told that my beloved Trep was totaled. In addition to the visible damage, the manager at the body shop told me that the floor pan was bent and the rear body panels were crumpled.

I still have no idea how the stupid ***** hit me that hard. We were sitting at a stop light, which was red. She was behind me, and there were about three cars ahead of me. The light turned green, I started to roll, and next thing I know her bumper was sitting in my trunk! :glum:

She was claiming chest pain and went to the hospital. I was feeling fine so I drove to the house and started making calls.

Her insurance (USAA) covered a full-size rental, and they valued my Trep at $3900 and change.

The kicker is that she was driving on a suspended license and her on-post driving privileges were suspended last month, so she had no business being there at all!

Fortunately, my credit was good enough for me to be able to get something newer and with less miles on it.

See less See more
#6 ·
That must be one really big bike!

And x2 for pictures...

#14 ·
Nissan do like to build strong cars heh. I will however assume it didn't get away unscathed.

I would seriously consider getting the insurance to let me keep the trep, replace the trunk lid and bumper, and straighten anything that's out of place with a porta power system. They aren't that bad a price to buy or rent and to be honest most of the damage in the photos looks superficial, The p/s rear quarter panel looks ok, the rear window wasn't damaged and as long as the roof is straight it shouldn't be expensive to repair. I'll assume the rear crash panel is bent and possibly part of the trunk floor, but the porta power should get it close to perfect and perhaps a little plating on the trunk floor panel to reinforce the area but overall it doesn't look bad. I've rebuilt cars from worse than that in the UK where a vehicle has to be fully inspected annually. ( http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/m4i00000001.htm is the guidelines for all vehicle inspections in the UK and any vehicle MUST adhere to them completely to facilitate a pass)

#15 ·
very sorry for your loss! :glum: wish they would have fixed her up for you

#18 ·
Unfortunately, it is already gone...I did not have the time, room, tools, or know-how to straighten body panels...

...being that the girl that hit me was a PFC, and I am a SSG, if I had known that her license was suspended and her privileges were revoked I would have spent the time until the police arrived smoking the **** out of her.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.