DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

4.0L Stroker project

110K views 488 replies 66 participants last post by  Firem 
#1 · (Edited)
Well it has begun! I picked up the 4.0L crank and my block from the machine shop on Friday. More pics and information will follow as the build progress. In the meantime here is just a taste.

Piston

That's all for now but stay tune same channel for further updates.

P.S. I need to give a shout out to Daytrepper (Dan) for selling me the core. By the way the #4 rod bearing was lapped, a couple of the lobes on the cams we wiped and several other bearing were right behind the #4

See less See more
#6 ·
This should be pretty easy I looked into doing the 4.0L reciprocating assembly when I built my 3.5 with 4.0L cams. Good luck, I;m still waiting for chrysler 4663870 to get off of back order, been on back order since January so needless to say my 300 sits.....

#10 ·
looking forward to see how this turns out.subscribed!:smiling:

#11 ·
I got another big box of parts last night but I was missing the rod bearings (long story). So, while I am patiently waitng for rod bearings to assembly the short block(yeah right), I could not wait so, I installed the 4.0L crank into the 3.5L block and behold the very first LH based 4.0L stroker is born! So, here are the baby pictures:

Stay tuned for more on Dmondeac 4.0!

#15 ·
SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

#22 ·
Which rods and pistons are you going to use, the 3.5 or 4.0? I know the bore is the same but is the rod length and piston height same on both? Looking forward to seeing more pics and the end results. I feel this may end up under my hood next winter.

#23 ·
To keep cost within a reasonable range I have used the 4.0L rods and pistons. The rods and crank are forged, the pistons are pretty good quality so the bottom end should handle most of what I will throw at it including an occasional spray.

#31 ·
You said "Well it has begun! I picked up the 4.0L crank and my block from the machine shop on Friday." in your original post. What kind of machine work did you have done? I was wondering if the main journals are the same diameter between the two engines as well. Did you overbore or deck the block?

#32 ·
I had the block squared, which means decked and line honed to true everything up, the block was hone to .001 oversize to be better able to run nitrous. There are no off the shelf oversized piston so, I am using stock 4.0L pistons which are the exact same size as the 3.5L pistons just the rod length and wrist pin location is different. The mains are stock 3.5L size with the 4.0L crank mains reduced by almost 0.200 to fit the 3.5L mains.

#35 ·
What are you going to do about the rear main seal retainer? I have been waiting since January, called every week and it had been pushed back 3 weeks every time I called. I called Monday and they told me that Chrysler no longer had a supplier which leads me to believe that it will soon be discontinued because it is near the 10 year old mark.

If you purchase the lower gasket set let me know if the retainer plate is included PLEASE! I doubt it is because the price is the same for the lower gasket set as it is for the reat main retainer plate but I have seen stranger things from the dealer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.