DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Hard shift into overdrive

6K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  zerokool 
#1 · (Edited)
Hard shift into 4th UPDATE 6/12

A couple days ago my M started acting funny when shifting into overdrive. When it gets to the shift point to go into 4th, the RPMs jump by probably 100 and it jerks a bit as it shifts, and then the RPMs go back to normal. I've only put about 200 miles on this car since I've owned it (about a month), and it did not do this until the last 100 miles or so (I've driven it about 150 this week as its my DD now).. The only background I have on the car is the paperwork for when a rebuilt trans was installed at 120k in 2010, and a valve body replacement at 142k in 2011 (car has 165k on it now)..

I tried searching, but I couldn't find a problem similar to the one I was having so I figured I'd ask. :smileyvault-newhere Thanks!!

#3 ·
it may be the 3 to 4 shift then. My autostick doesn't work, so I just assumed it was the shift into overdrive. It occurs between 40 to 55 depending on how hard you accelerate... what color is the tranny fluid supposed to be in chryslers?

#5 ·
Most often, the color in a good reliable trans will be anywhere from a dark red to a bright pink. Fluid color has been a subject of much criticism from the manufacturer. Chrysler claims the color of the fluid has no effect on the performance of the transmission. Most techs will offer the opinion of any brown fluid or darker has run it's life span and needs to be replaced.

The 40 - 55 bump is likely the converter clutch as Dr Dodge mentioned. If your converter is not a stock or oem one, you might experience rougher than normal converter clutch engagement. The only thing to do at this point is drive it unless the warranty transfers between owners.

#6 ·
It's definitely the 3-4 shift.. I confirmed it by bumping it into Autostick to see what gear was selected after every shift.. I got it good and warm and checked the fluid, and it was inside the COLD hash marks... I am buying some fluid in the morning to fill it up, but could this be causing my problem.. Fluid was light pink colored btw...

#7 ·
I filled the fluid up tonight and took it for a drive. The shifts feel smoother except for the 3-4 shift. It feels slightly better, but the Rpms are still jumping up as it shifts and then dropping as it hits the gear. Its almost like 4th isn't engaging quickly enough. What should I start investigating from here?

#8 ·
Perhaps since this is a rather new, (To you), vehicle, the fluid itself may be all it is. There is another Transmission thread floating around recently about the pitfalls of any fluid other than ATF+4 for the Chrysler 42LE transmission.

Myself, I would probably hire the services of a tech with the machine to flush the system and replace the fluid with genuine ATF+4. Then drive it and see how it does.

The only other option I could venture would be to have the trans controller scanned for faults and CVI values. CVI refers to the amount of time the trans takes to completely fill each piston area for a given operation or shift. The clutch volume index is helpful to properly diagnosing a transmission concern.

#10 ·
sorry this has nothing to do with you problem but i love the fiero i used to have 3 of them love those cars as far as your problem have you unpluged the battery (or lost all power and needed to recharge it) lately if so the comp will take some time to relearn the shifts for the way you drive

#11 ·
Thanks! I am quite fond of the Fiero too... I DD'd mine up until I got married in 07.. now its more.of a project car since its been sitting so long.

I haven't lost power since ive had it. Maybe I should unhooked the battery?

#12 ·
I don't know if the aftermarket scanners can do CVI. I do know they can do nearly all the driveability and DTC functions adequately. CVI may be a DRBIII exclusive. So, if you have no shops or friends that own a DRBIII then I suppose it's off to the dealer.

It was also brought up in the other thread that some dealers were not using ATF+4. So, there is still the possibility of having a lesser fluid installed. Any receipts that will support what they used will help.

#13 ·
I don't have the actual receipts for the dealer work. It showed up on the carfax. I do have the receipt for when the remand Chrysler transmission was installed at a local shop but it doesn't say what fluid was used then. I guess its a possibility that the dealer reused the trans fluid that was in it, which could have been the wrong one.. will the wrong fluid damage it, or just make it shift bad?

#18 ·
Your shifts look completely normal. (Watched it a few times).

That bump your noticing is not 3 - 4 but 4th into lockup.

The average trans is more likely to do this at a less than abrupt pace but, it looks like you are
bypassing partial lockup and just going full TCC. Could be a programming issue or something
else. By design, the converter clutch control is supposed to be varied by throttle demand. So if
the converter is going 100% lockup at every available chance then the programming may be
set that way. Either by software or hardware. I have a vague memory of something like this in
a customers car once. I can ask around the shop and see.

It doesn't look to be a problem though. At least as far as my experience goes.

#19 ·
Thanks!! I assumed that it was the 3-4 because if you drop it into Auto Stick, it says 3 before that shift, and then 4 after.. It was much more violent before I filled up the fluid, but not nearly as harsh now, although the car still jerks at that point and the revs go up..

#20 ·
The display for Autostick is a less than 100% accurate AFAIK. I've seen many times where the A/S will show one thing and a DRBIII will show another. I have this feature on a couple of my cars but, usually don't use it much beyond engine braking.

Just be glad it is an LH. My wife's Avenger has A/S and it really gets flaky with the 62te six speed automatic. Love the mileage but hate the shifts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.