DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

click noise again

5K views 49 replies 12 participants last post by  Le Vinh 
#1 ·
the car was park for 2 days in the shop for a power steering raplacement.. car was release today. ni hear a clicking noise only when idle . but if i press the gas the clicking noise disappears .... what could it be???/ i had this problem before.... it looks like it comes n go

#3 ·
lol Been a few threads about this lately.

My clicking/ticking/tapping or however you choose to describe it at only idle speeds is now gone, I switched to Mopar oil filters and use Lucas Oil Stabilizer with good brand name oil.

The Lucas is great stuff, it's very very thick, stick like honey so when the engine is off it clings to prevent dry starts, as well being so thick is raises the oil pressure.

Be aware though, I use to run 1L of it in my Ram's V8 all the time and in those -40C nights, with a weak battery she turns hard when starting. :p

As for the noise, no one seems to know, just theory's. Some that don't know these motors say bad lifters, other said loose or wore timing components. It's only present at idle so I don't hold to much worry.

#5 ·
Great idea, I'll do the same next time I heard it, if I hear it? (PRAYING I DON'T!)

Curious though to see if we share that same "click".

It sounds fine, it's just one of those curious sounds. My mechanic buddy said it sounds like a happy motor. I always originally figured it was the injectors at work. As I have had injected engines make a very similar noise (not DOCH engines)

#10 · (Edited)
From the research I've done:

If it were a spun or worn rod bearing, it'll knock/clunk loudly and can be confused for lifters depending on how bad the case is. The sound would be present no matter RPM, and doesn't "come and go". It'll just knock/clunk until it throws a piston out of the bottom or top of the engine.

Something specific to these 2.7's that can be diagnosed as bad lifers or spun rod bearings is a cracked or failing flywheel, said to be a cheap part, around $35?

I also read up on some media and videos that discussed and demonstrated the same sound/rhythm, the coined term for this sound is "valve/lifter chatter", which can be out of timed/spec'd cams or worn lifters or chain tensioner's.

Curious what the pro's think?

#12 ·
That tap is not lifters or rod bearings - WAY too fast. That is timing chain slap I'd bet.

Have you pulled the upper chain covers or the front covers of the motor to see what they look like? You may get lucky and just have worn chain guides or tensioners.

I really doubt it is rotational noise from the crank

#13 · (Edited)
I have or HAD a Tapping sound as well. But I cannot say that it is identical to the sound in the video.But I never heard it the last time I started it before I drained the oil and pulled the pan for bearing inspection.

The sound I had was non existent at cold startup. But as the Engine approached the halfway warmup is when it occurred and then always dissapeared at full operating Temp.It sounded like a noisy lifter.

Using a Garden hose as a stethoscope the sound concentration was clearly at the Right Bank precisely at the Camshaft Sprocket which caused me to suspect Timing Chain Slap.

I now have the Timing Cover Removed and there is no evidence of such and the Timing chain is as Tight as a Drum absolutely Everywhere...............but as I said the noise stopped a short while ago causing me to wonder wether the Chain Tensioner just happened to spring back into action just prior to my dismanteling. But no sign of chain slap to be seen anywhere.

Any Ideas?? About a noise present only at mid warmup and gone at operating temp?? Rod Bearing is ruled out due to perfect bearing clearances (I think)

#16 ·
i think you are right .. becuase this happen after they change the power steering pump.. the sound comes from the middle top engine....

what do you suggest???? how would i know if its one of my pulleys???? the weird thing when i accelerate the sound goes away......

#17 ·
When you accelerate, the pulley recenters on the bearings, or something along those lines, and stops rattling.

I don't know where the idlers are on a 2.7, but with the engine OFF, grab each of the pulleys and rock them on their shafts... See if any are loose, or look off kilter.

#26 ·
After starting up and driving around for a while, when I sit at a light the engine makes a loud ticking/clicking noise. It will usually happen after the water temp has gone above the first slash on the temp gauge. Goes away when I start driving again.

#27 ·
Consider that such noises are often indictaive of impending failure of the 2.7 timing gear or water pump. I'm not saying that's what is going on - I'm just sayin'.

#35 ·
Quote Peva

I understand how low oil pressure can translate into tensioner probs and cause the chain to slap but what do you mean by Timing Gear? Do you mean crank gear or cam gear and how does that tie into the noise?
"Timing Gear" is referring to the parts that make up the timing system. Like climbing gear makes up the stuff you use to climb a mountain, etc.
^ what he said ^

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.