DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

heat not working so good

500 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  jcman311 
#1 ·
my 93 intrepid doesn't seem so get much heat from the heater unless i leave the fan on at half-way and the car has been running for about 20 minutes if i turn the fan on full it blows hot air for only a few seconds then starts to blow cool air and i have to turn it back down
any ideas what might be the problem?

#3 ·
the thermostat was replaced about 8 months ago because it was giving me an error code that the engine was staying cold to long i forget which code that is but i replaced it then and i haven't had the cooling system flushed but i did have the rad out when i had to replace my crankshaft oil seal and i put almost 2 gallons of antifreeze back in, but i'll try replacing the thermostat again first if that don't help then maybe i'll have the system flushed
thanks

#4 ·
>I put almost 2 gallons of antifreeze back in...

I trust you also put an appropriate amount of water in? (Pure ethylene glycol will gell and not flow through the rads in the cold)
Also, did you purge the air from the bleeder fitting at the engine rad hose connection?

#7 ·
I just had similar stuff happening i had a blocked heater core which then caused the stat to go....

#9 ·
With the car cold (important) remove the pressure cap from the resevoir and start the car. Let the car run for about 4-5 minutes and shut it off. Then replace the cap and you should be all good.

You can also use the pressure release valve on the thermostat housing, but I like the other way better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.