DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

reverse problem.

12K views 124 replies 11 participants last post by  beeblebrox82 
#1 · (Edited)
2002 intrepid SE

when i start my car and go into reverse it sounds like somthing is being dragged on the ground but isnt the car is making this noise and then some times it stalls out. other times you have to press hard on the gas to get it to move in reverse like the e brake is on or somthing. is somthing wrong with the tramsmission i dont know... a couple of mounths ago i scraped the bottom of the car driving on a curb . and the car would not shift gears right. the mechanic said just a valve in the tranny need replaced and they flushed the tranny. and the car was fine for months until now.

it sounds like a rattleing noise and it seems like it only makes the noise when im reverseing down a steep hill.

#28 ·
$160 sounds like a transmission fluid flush and that's it. I doubt for that kind of money that they did any actual repair.

#30 · (Edited)
oh no... i live 2 hours away from you.. i live in washington county.. its like 40 mins away from the city. no i dont have a lift or pit.. so i guess we cant do this then.

i wonder if there is any possibility that the transmission is not broken.

i hope if the redo it it last long ... this sucks. i heard once you get them redone they just arent as good anymore

#31 ·
Sounds like you pooched the valve body if its revving in every gear. If thats the case, your clutches are gone. Thats what happened to my last tranny. Check ball got stuck and burned up my clutches. Its better off to get a new tranny than rebuild the one you have. There's a quite a few up here with lower mileage. A tranny swap can be done if you have giant ramps. You need about 2 feet of clearance for the bell housing and jack.

#32 ·
Just like he said, you don't have to have a pit or lift, just helps sometimes. I did mine on a jack in my dads very rough driveway.

Don't despair too quickly, the collective group here has done it all in all sorts of conditions. Doesn't mean it always works out, but it is worth a try.

I agree with Ron, I'm shocked if they replaced anything. I'm really concerned about how they flushed it. I also kind of wonder if you scrapping the bottom of the car had anything to do with the Trans going out at all... You would have had to hit VERY hard to get that kind of damage. What did you hit and how?

And call and ask for a coy of the repair for your record... You may have recourse with the shop that did the 'repair'... (but don't tell then that)

Sent from my SCH-S720C using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#33 ·
all i did was pull off the road and to let this other guy go threw and it scraped the bottom of my car and make a loud bang that just pissed me off. after that i was driving up a hill. and my car would not make it up the hill and just went reverse back down even tho it was in drive ..

#34 ·
update: so last night it gets stuck in the middle of a highway.. i try every gear and the car wont move . i get it towed to my house let it sit over night.. i just started it up today and it drives again i just drove it up a hill into my garage where its sitting now... what do you guys think this could be. and who can i take it to to look at it.

#38 ·
Do you have a CEL on? (Check Engine Light). If so you need to get the car to someplace like AutoZone or Advance Auto parts so they can read the actual codes free. Or take it back to the shop where they did the original "fix" and see if they'll read the codes and let you know what they are. With those codes we can help you better. Otherwise you can change parts shotgun style and spend way more money than you need to.

#39 · (Edited)
it moves now but im scared to drive it cause its not smooth its like chugs around.. im going to get it checked tomorrow hopefully

the CEL has been on way before this happend its always on as for as long as i could remember.. but its for other things too probaly for my air intake im guessing

what i mean by chugging .. its more of like jerking ..

#42 ·
hey guys.. i need some help here with this next question.. i took it to the shop they said my transmission is shot. but they said they can try to find me a new tranny or if i can find one they will take the one i find and put it in for me.. well.. i just found a tranny on craigslist it was for a 99 2.7L intrepid and i have a 2002 2.7L intrepid. the guy said his 99 intrepid motor blew up at 50 thousand miles and then he extracted the transmission.. so my question is will the 99 2.7L intrepid transmission fit and work in my 2002 2.7L intrepid... also he only wants $150 for it so this will be very helpful to me

#47 ·
Yes the Transmission Range Sensor wiring harness will need to be swapped between the two transmissions. And easy job. That'll be it for the wiring. The rest is all OK.

#49 ·
Just know you will need to source one with it. When I bought at a junk yard of the shelf of stock transmissions, they took Mr right to the car they pulled from and got the correct harness for me.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#52 · (Edited)
I believe one option would be to swap the range sensor between the trannies and stay with the old harness. Pan and valve body have to be dropped to do it though. Opportunity to change the filter and fluid anyway?

EDIT: I believe that the harness from your car is compatible with the '98 range sensor - see my next 2 posts. Different year harnesses can be mixed and matcehd with different year range sensors.

#108 · (Edited)
thank you for your input. i have bought the 98 tranny. what do you guys think..
Looking back at your pics you have the newer style transmission connector. You are good to go.

Simply remove the harness from your 2002 transmission and install it on this one. You will be golden.

#54 ·
That green connector in the last picture is the TRS (Transmission Range Sensor). As Peva suggested it's best if you swap the TRS from your original transmission into this one. It requires the pan be dropped and the valve body be removed to accomplish this. As far as all the wiring you're showing in the pictures...it's not important. You'll be using all of the original harness that's currently in your car. A pan drop and fluid change is recommended anyway as you don't know the condition of what's in the transmission you bought. All the instructions for removing and replacing the TRS are in the FSM that can be downloaded here:

http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/showthread.php?t=94402

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.