DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

HID conversion questions

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  mirada6.0 
#1 ·
I bought a pair of TYC replacement headlight assy.s (Rock Auto- $54 ea.) after reading the thread started by shadowvox. Got 2 questions about HID conversion kits. Any comments or preferences re: the $30 - $50 kits available online? (As opposed to a kit in the $100+ range)
And why the seeming preference to do the 9006 hi-lo bulb when I would want the hi-beam only (9005)?

#2 ·
The 9006 is Low beam only and HID kits work fine there as they would be on constantly.

The HID in the 9005 High beam is not a good idea for two reasons. HID ballasts don't like short duty cycles such as when you flash high beams on and off constantly. The 2nd is if you have DRL Daytime Running Lights. When our cars are equipped with DRL they use the high beams and have them on at reduced voltage. The HID ballasts again wouldn't tolerate that low voltage situation.

#6 ·
I would not recommed any of the kits for the stock type of 300M headlights. I have had them for both hi and lo beams. The problem is they are designed for filiment bulbs, and when you put in a HID bulb, the light pattern changes. They put out a splochy pattern, as well as the light output will blind oncomming traffic. They actually work better in the hi beam, if you don't have DRL's, or use the flash to pass.

#8 ·
I was told you don't want to put HIDs in the stock housings, For a few reasons. 1. Light pattern. Since the HID bulb is brighter and more different, It will scatter light all over the place and blind oncoming drivers and not even be good usable light!

2. The heat (From what I heard, dunno for sure) from the HID bulbs could melt the plastic housings of your stock assemblies.

If you wanna go true HID, All I can really suggest is finding projection housings that are meant for HID systems. Otherwise, Going with better halogen bulbs, polishing the lens and getting them aimed right is the only true way to get better light output.

#9 ·
I was told you don't want to put HIDs in the stock housings, For a few reasons. 1. Light pattern. Since the HID bulb is brighter and more different, It will scatter light all over the place and blind oncoming drivers and not even be good usable light!

The differance is the Halogen bulbs are a filiment (2 dementional) and the HID are a sphere (3 dementional). So that third demention of light source gives a different light pattern on the reflectors. The light output is greater, giving more light, but not all of it is where you want it.

2. The heat (From what I heard, dunno for sure) from the HID bulbs could melt the plastic housings of your stock assemblies.

Heat is not a problem as they are actually cooler then Halogen bulbs. But for the first couple of seconds the power they consume is far greater, which can damage the wireing (11 amps instead of 55 watts) .

If you wanna go true HID, All I can really suggest is finding projection housings that are meant for HID systems. Otherwise, Going with better halogen bulbs, polishing the lens and getting them aimed right is the only true way to get better light output.

I agree. Comments in the quote.

#10 ·
If you HAVE to get the $30-$50 hids ... I read mixed reviews on Xentec ($35ish on ebay) ...some people say they're amazing and last ages...some say they're horrible and blow quickly (probably a TON of factors that caused good/bad experiences) .. read online reviews about the ones you are looking at..google it
Pesonally..I was considering getting the Morimoto ballasts/HIDs ..but the bulbs are over $50 without the ballasts................But getting a GOOD more expensive pair vs' having to replace them every year or so.. kinda pays to get the better quality ones in my opinion.
I havent done much research on HIDs..but it's all readily available online..google..youtube....hidplanet...everyone has opinions

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.