DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Son Of A $!&(#* !!!!!

6K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  '87IROCZOWNER69 
#1 · (Edited)
So, I'm backing up the other day cutting the wheel hard and hear a 'thump'. One of those F'n cement islands for light posts crept up out of my blind spot and caved in my right rear bumper. I was able to push the bumper out, but now I have this mess to deal with.

I'm wondering if I might not give a try at fixing it myself. I was poking around and found this supplier of paint in different forms, one of which is an aerosol can, which would make life easier. Can any of you guys out there offer some advice on what to use, proper techniques, and so on? Or, would I be smarter just to take it to the professionals and let them do it the way it ought to be done?

Thanks for your advice either way.

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Interesting. I'll consider this.

In the meantime, I figured I'll give a try at repairing it myself. For under fifty bucks, if it looks like ass, I can always go the more expensive route, but if the DIY method works, that solves the problem for hundreds less.

Thanks for all the great advice, guys!

#9 ·
Will do. In the meantime, I thought you guys would find this exchange with the company that sells the paint kits somewhat amusing.

==========

Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 7:02 AM

Hello!

I am looking to buy the below kit, but the information on the page is confusing.
http://www.expresspaint.com/automotivetouchup/pc/viewPrd.asp?idProduct=5496&idCategory=22

Your product information refers to this as a TRI-coat process. However, the product information says:

*Please Note: Tricoat color come with top and base coat (Clearcoat not included) .

If the clearcoat does not come with this kit, then it is not a 3-step process, it is a 2 step product, and there is no indication of how to obtain the necessary clearcoat to properly complete the repair.

Please advise.

Thanks!

==========

From: ExpressPaint Support [mailto:support@expresspaint.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2012 1:58 PM
Subject: Re: Pre-sales question

Hello Robert,

Thank you for contacting ExpressPaint.

While it is only a 2step product, it requires a 3 step process- finsishing with the clearcoat which needs to be purchased separately. Sorry for the confusion.
Here is the link to purchasing our clearcoat application: http://www.expresspaint.com/automotivetouchup/pc/Clearcoat-Application-c2.htm

==========

Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 7:06 AM

Ok, so you’re saying that the TRI-coat product advertised requires that I order the $50 basic kit which contains two cans of product, plus the $10 clearcoat spray, to arrive at the advertised three step process, correct?

Sorry – never done this sort of thing before so I want to be sure I get it right the first time. It just doesn’t make sense to me that a company would present a product where customers have to guess at what they get and what they need. Would it not make more sense to just add the cost of the clearcoat to the kit so customers don’t become misled?

==========

From: ExpressPaint Support [mailto:support@expresspaint.com]
Sent: Friday, July 27, 2012 2:16 PM
To: Robert Kreisler
Subject: Re: Pre-sales question

Hello Robert,

Thank you for contacting ExpressPaint.
Not a problem. We want to make sure you get all that you need as easily possible as well!

The Chrysler Inferno Red paint you would like to order happens to be what we call a Tri-coat. Tri-coat stands for the 3-step process. However, it only comes with the two cans (top and base coat.) The additional third and final step in our process is the UCA-150 clearcoat.

Although the paint you selected is just paint, we do carry kits on our website that offer all the accessories recommended for painting which also include clearcoat and primer. All that is needed in addition to these kits is the custom color for each customer. We highly recommend finishing with our clearcoat and advise our customers on the benefits but it is solely up to them on whether to purchase our clearcoat or not.

If you'd like to purchase one of our kits you can follow this link. http://www.expresspaint.com/automotivetouchup/pc/Touch-Up-Kit-for-11-oz-Aerosol-Can-56p7565.htm
These kits contain: 11oz. Clearcoat, 11oz. Primer, 13 oz. Wax & Grease Remover, 3M Combo Sand Paper (2000,1500,1000,600 grits, 4.5"x5.5" each), Masking Tape, Premium Tack Cloth, and 2oz. Compound. It also comes with step-by-step instructions on how to complete the paint job
However, Color application is the only thing not included in which you need to add on separately.

If you'd like to purchase just the tri-coat paint and clearcoat than you just need to add to your cart the UCA-150 clearcoat aerosol and your Chrysler Inferno Red Tri-coat paint in aerosol.

Hopefully, this helps clear things up. Once again, sorry for the confusion.

==========

Friday, July 27, 2012 3:56 PM

As a 30-year sales and marketing professional, I have to say that this is one of the more bizarre things I’ve ever seen.

You have one product that is supposed to have three components, but you sell it with only two, and we need to order clearcoat separately.

You have another product that is supposed to contain all things necessary including clearcoat, but we need to order the color separately.

Does any of this sound strange to you?

Anyway, I got it. I know what to order, but it seems a wacky way to run a railroad.

Just sayin’.

Thanks!

#15 ·
Fixing that shouldn't be all that hard to do really. I recently re-did my front bumper that was all messed up and had a hole in it and it almost looks like new. Also I only did the damaged section. Took alot of sanding, extra plastic (for the hole), primer, more sanding, paint, wet sanding, and clear coat. What I did after the last coat of paint and the last coat of clear is used a power cone and a cutting pad with some rubbing compound to help bring out the shine in the paint. It still needs to be buffed and such but right now it looks pretty good especially since it was my first big attempt at painting something and blending the new paint with the old.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.