DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1998 Dodge Intrepid How do you change the brake pads and rotors.

6K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  mark98 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me the steps and things to look out for when replacing rear brake pads and rotors on my 98 dodge intrepid.

like a step by step .

#2 ·
jack the car up
pull the wheels off
Remover the caliper bolts 10mm
pull off the caliper
place the caliper in a safe spot that is not putting stress on the hose. (on top of a milk crate/bucket is usually where I put it)
slide off the rotor
put the new rotor on with one lug nut to hold it in place
remover the old pads
get a caliper piston tool and push in the piston or a C-clamp will do (you didn't top off the reservoir did you? if so you might want to take some out before you push the piston in) (if you have ABS ignore that, and read next step)
If you have ABS you will need to loosen the bleeder screw to push the piston back in.
clean up brake fluid mess
install new pads
put caliper back on the mount.
tighten the bolts
clean the whole brake assembly with break cleaner
put wheel back on and repeat on the other side

#5 ·
Hey guys I got er done but sheesh hell of a job getting the one f****** rotor off kept on prying er and prying er and hitting er she would not come I had to go underneath the som mamam ***** and starting to try to fiddle with the emergency brake and free er.

Pain in the ass but I got er done.

#10 ·
Yeah when I did the rear brakes on my Trep last year, driver's side rear required a good bit of persuasion with my 8lb sledge. Looked like that rotor had been on there a LONG time.

Good job tho! Saved yourself some $$$ by going the DIY route.
earlier this year me and a co-worker put front brakes on a ram 2500 with a cummins. probably the worst ive ever done in my life. rotors would not come of for any thing. air hammer couldnt even get them off. eventually had to gut the rotor into peices with a torch to get it off.

#8 ·
yea buddy sheeesh myne had been there since she came out of the assembly !!!!!

I had to rip of the little circular metal clips of the rotor around the studs.
I had read those are only on when shes brand new.

she only has 52, 816 miles on er

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.