DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

96 Intrepid 3.5L Timing belt replacement

4K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  EvilDeadFan 
#1 · (Edited)
After finishing my rack repair, inner tie-rod bushings and outer tie-rod ends I noticed a sticker for the last timing belt replacement. The timing belt had been replaced at a little over 100K miles, then reccomended a new belt at 154K miles. I bought my car with 172K and didn't initially notice the sticker.
I called Cedar Rapids Dodge and requested an estimate. The labor just for the timing belt was about $344/4 hours, and $430 in labor for timing belt and the water pump. I really didn't want to do this replacement myself, mostly due to the specialized tools I don't have. Anyone have suggestions? Possibly a better place to take my car for this work? What aftermarket timing belts would you all reccomend? Gator?

I will do the timing belt and the water pump if I can't find a more economical way to get this repair done, as I just don't have the ability to spend $400+ on my car anytime soon. I'm not sure how much the specialty tools are.. ugh..

#2 ·
If its like the 93 3.5, it's not that hard. No special tools except a balancer puller. You'll need a vise to recompress the tensioner (use a nail to hold it compressed until you have everything lined up). You might want to get a new tensioner though, I think they are about $45 at the dealership. Be careful about the water pump though. When I did it Auto Zone had the wrong part number for my car and the pulley was bigger. I didn't notice and ripped up another belt. AZ gave to me free though.

#3 ·
I just did this job this past Saturday and not counting the trips to the parts store it took me about 5.5 hours total.

Get the belt "kit" which includes the tensioner and get a water pump. I also replaced the drive belts and both radiator hoses, changed trans fluid, new antifreeze, radiator flush, wiper blades air filter and oil and filter.

2 trips to the parts store
1st one for the puller (39.99) and all the other parts except the water pump

2nd trop for the water pump (mines a 97 and there ia a 3 hole and 6 hole pump and you wont know till the cover comes off which you need the puller to remove.

There was a trick to pulling the crankshaft pully because I didn't have the model specific puller.

Its not a bad job really

#5 ·
Just be careful tightening the water pump bolts. I was judging by hand, and I snapped one right off. And it hadn't come to a stop, if you know what I mean. I was able to get it out with and "easy out" but it was a pain that took a few more hours to deal with.

#6 ·
I recently replaced my timing belt. Why? Because my tensioner pulley grenaded under very LIGHT driving that I always do.. So I turned the car off immediately after hearing a horrible noise. Towed it to my friend's shop, had it replaced, tensioner pulley, and water pump and everything else.. Moral of this story? These tensioner pulleys are known to fail early in life. change it out for a new one, considdering it costs less than the price of a video game even. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.