DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Starting problem

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  stlrj 
#1 ·
I have a 2001 Intrepid with 176K miles on it..Runs tip top...little smoke leaving red lights...My car won't start in the morning or after it sits when it gets cold....have to crank it a few seconds turn off ignition do it again starts right up....once its warm it starts up.... if I turn it off like to go into a store ..it will start up right away...Just problem with cold start...Why?.what the hell....fuel pump?

#3 ·
Cean's on it like a Duck on a June bug!

Jaybird - what engine do you have - 2.7? If so, the smoke out the exhaust may be bad valve stem seals. Also thoroughly check out and restore the PCV system.

#6 ·
I have a 2001 Intrepid with 176K miles on it..Runs tip top...little smoke leaving red lights...My car won't start in the morning or after it sits when it gets cold....have to crank it a few seconds turn off ignition do it again starts right up....once its warm it starts up.... if I turn it off like to go into a store ..it will start up right away...Just problem with cold start...Why?.what the hell....fuel pump?
What does that have to do with his starting problem.
I don't know about the starting, but all you can do is try.

#9 ·
He's not even old enough to drive the car legally. Wonder who he's advising to do that stuff on the car in his sig pic?

#10 ·
Pay no attention to the young one up there ^^^^ he is the kind that would put a coffee can on a rolls royce...
ok that being said,, blue smoke at start up,, valve seals, if your not using much oil,, id let it go for a bit, but the hard start in the morning,, yea,, is go for the fuel pump,, its draining down over night,,, like they said above,, turn the car on in the morning,, dont start,, turn off do it a few times,, wait 10-15 seconds, between on and off,, if it starts right up,, bingo,,

#11 ·
Hey thanks...176K car drives like its new.... smoke not affecting performance at all...I might need a half quart of oil every couple weeks...not bad at all... I live in south Florida and the A/C don't work...I'm afraid to invest $ with so many miles on the car....It drives great accept the cold start which is no big deal.... It always cranks up after I turn off ignition to restart it. 2nd time....Appreciate any advice....not sure but someone must of maintained this engine...I bought it a year ago from a friend who moved to Venezuela....

#12 ·
...ok that being said,, blue smoke at start up,, valve seals, if your not using much oil,, id let it go for a bit, but the hard start in the morning,, yea,, is go for the fuel pump,, its draining down over night,,, like they said above,, turn the car on in the morning,, dont start,, turn off do it a few times,, wait 10-15 seconds, between on and off,, if it starts right up,, bingo,,
I agree with all of that, but would add that, besides a fuel pump issue, the hard start can also be a leaky fuel injector. In both cases the rail ends up empty with air in it after it sits a while/overnight. The way to tell the difference is that if a leaky injector, you will smell raw fuel out the exhaust when it does first start (due to cylinder(s) with leaky injector(s) being flooded), and if fuel pump leak down, you won't get the raw fuel smell (all cylinders will be way lean).

#15 ·
Hard start, as you describe, is usually the result of loss of residual fuel pressure on shut down. Vapor forms inside the fuel lines as the fuel boils from engine heat soak creating a vapor lock condition.

A leaky fuel pump check valve is the usual suspect which means you'll need to replace your fuel pump.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.