DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Loud exhaust and more horsepower?

2K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  shadowvox6 
#1 ·
I've been looking into the idea of making the exhaust louder on my 98 intrepid ES 3.2 soon to be 3.5.

I was first told to put cherry bomb tips

then i was thining of making chopping off the resonator, then someone told me to chop off the muffler too and then my dad who is a mechanical genius, told me to cut off the cali converter as well because the will make the car run better and faster, run a straight pipe right from the manifold i would assume and out the back and then just stick some cherry bomb tips on it.

that should make it run faster and louder.

** hopefully when i'm done this car will run 150 mph and sound like 1969 AMX or a hemi cuda

#4 ·
I dont know that I would cut the catalytic converter off due to the fact that the 02 sensors dont like that much (I think, im not to familiar with the 3.5 o2 sensor locations) and them are good for giving the engine some backpressure and a better tone. I did my exhaust 2 days ago and I just cut out the original resonater and put in a Cherry Bomb 26 inch glasspack. left the cat there as well as the stock pipe. If you want really loud you can chop the cat, but I have never heard- and dont think i will- a v6 to sound like a v8, especially not a big block.

#7 · (Edited)
if you cut off the cats you will turn on the check engine light-killing any power gains
second your Intrepid is limited to around 114 MPH by the PCM so 150MPH is out of the guestion.
Tom
Oh and by the way it is ilegal to remove the cats-punishable by up to a $10,000 fine as per FEDERAL LAW FOR EMISSIONS TAMPERING

#8 ·
:twak:

The only way to get the sound of a HEMI `Cuda to come out of your car is to get a stupid-expensive sound system and play back recordings of real 426 engines.

Firing Order of a 426 is: 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

#9 ·
Another problem with removing the catalytic convertors is the car will stink.

I have a few older cars without cats and it's almost embarassing to run them in public places. People are used to cars that blow out pretty clean air. My old **** is in good running order but by today's standard it's stinky and dirty.

As for improving performance. I don't think anyone here has documented a performance gain with exhaust upgrades but I've seen 2 instances where the stock exhaust was faster.

I saw an 1st gen Intrepid at the track running 16.0's. Got talking to the dude and he claims it ran 15.8 before. Now he's done some exhaust work, it's slower. He was going to put it all back to stock next time.

Another post I read here years ago. Another Intrepid fender to fender with a buddy. Went to some duals set up and now he was losing against that same car??

#14 ·
if your not careful your going to make your car sounds like a civic.
Doubtful very Doubtful. All I've got on my car is the two pre-cat's. I don't have the main cats or anything past that it's almost open manifolds other than the pre cats. It sounds great, you can hear the car slightly lope at an idle. When you get on it she will snap necks like no other.

Don't put glass packs or anything like that on it just run true duel strait pipes out the back (with the precats on still) and you will have you nice sounding car. You can pretend to go 150mph cause your car will never hit that. If your a car noob you don't need to be going over 80mph anyways.

#13 ·
Bottom line, this isn't a 1975 early smog control car, or a 1980's GM choked to heck by the exhaust. If you cut the cats off you will LOSE power and gain a CHECK ENGINE LIGHT. If you want a better sound, get a better flowing muffler and put it in place of the stock unit and resonator.

You can remove those things from a car, but it requires the ability to reprogram the PCM to remove the check engine lights and to adjust for the removed cat. You can have the reprogramming done it costs about 400$ an you have to have a source at Chrysler Tech to do it.

#12 ·
I had a '95 trep awhile ago and I cut the cat off and did a true dual side exhaust. It sounded pretty good and picked up some added mpg. The only problem was that it didn't pass inspection because of the cat missing. It cost me another $500 to have the exhaust redone with cat back in.

You may not have emissions testing but they do check to see if all the cats are installed in the factory locations.

#16 ·
Opening up your exhaust is a good way to generate more HP
Go to a true dual setup.....with some mellow sounding Flow Master series 50 mufflers.
Your car will never see 150 mph, and while it may never sound like a V8, I think you'll be pleased.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.