DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

How Much Oil

18K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  cinnabar 
#1 ·
How much oil does the intrepid hold when changing the oil and filter? Last place l took it l'm not sure they put enough in. It's due again and l just checked it and it's down a quart and a half and there are no visible signs of leakage or of it burning it. Someone told me that maybe the valve covers are leaking or need changing, l'm not sure where to look at for that if anyone can help l'd appreciate it very much. :smile:

#3 ·
If it is the 3.5L engine it is 5.5 Qts with oil filter. The valve covers are on top of the engine, one on each side. An easy way to find them is to look for the oil filler cap, that is found on the passenger side valve cover. The other one is of course on the other side of the engine. There should be bolts going around the edge at the bottom of the valve covers, if they are leaking it would be from that area. (This all is assuming you have the 3.5L engine, not sure how the 3.3L is set up, should be basically the same thing.)

#5 ·
also check the pcv valce . an old clogged pcv valve can cause oil loss as well

#6 ·
Someone checked the valve covers and both leak, left one a little bit and right one a bit more. But they said it would be cheaper to just add oil every month between changes then to change the gaskets but to me they are right there and look easy to change.

l also want to change spark plugs, does anyone know what type they say should be used in a 1996 3.5L? The wires look pretty good but l'm sure the plugs need changing.

Thank You

#8 ·
on your engine you will need to remove the intake plenum to replace the valve cover gaskets. so youll need new upper intake gaskets as well. not all that hard to do. typically on the 2nd gens we use NGK or champion plugs. but i had problems with my champions causing intermitent random misfires so out they came and NGK's went in. I do not know if the 1st gen 3.5's use different plugs or not so that info may not apply to you. a first gen owner can clarify all that for us. but if you do change the plugs definatly change the plug wires as well. they may be okay but you might as well just change them while your there.

#10 ·
The intake plenum is the white/tan piece that sits on top of the valve covers and is right underneath the 3.5L engine cover.

#11 ·
Well l found out the garage wants 200.00+ to change the valve cover gaskets... so for now they aren't leaking too much and will have to wait. l am going tomorrow to get the oil changed and he said he'd see if maybe they just need tightening up.

But while at the parts store today buying the oil and filter l had the kid come out and check my alternator cause l always seem to have a whine coming from under the hood when driving it. He said the alternator was great but to come look at something. l knew right away this can't be good... the main pully right in the center front of the engine, has the two belts on it... he said it's wobbling ... l couldn't see it doing that but he said it was and to go to a mechanic asp... ughhh.

The car has 133,000 miles on it which isn't bad for a 1996 and l'm the second owner of it and the first and myself have always kept it maintained but now it seems alot is going wrong with it. According to the mechanic it needs brakes, a wheel bearing, valve covers, possibly something done with that pully up front and l was planning on having new plugs and wires put in it even though they were changed just before l got it which was like 15,000 miles ago. l love the car, it's so comfy and sporty but not so much liking the expense it's starting to cost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.