DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Another 4.0 stroker is born!

107K views 588 replies 53 participants last post by  JJerrell 
#1 ·
Today I picked up my newly machined 4.0 crank from the machine shop after having the mains turned. Shot a couple quick pics of the bottom end going together. Ended up with .008" end play which I was happy with, and no tight spots when spinning the crank. Using mock up bearings to test fit everything then assembling with new sealed power bearings for the final bolt down. Not quite as pretty yet as Dmondeac's but I'm a few months behind his build. Needless to say I'm a happy man!

See less See more
#556 ·
Definitely comes down to those factors, having LOTS of money to throw at it, or alternatively having access to parts at low to no cost and time and skills to wrench it together (which I assume we're all at least going to do the work ourselves anyways).

Myself, I can get ANYTHING LH dirt cheap, if not at no cost, I have access to 56 LH vehicles and everything goes for pennies. A wrecked interceptor just arrived, was side-swiped, 180K on the power-train, I'm getting the engine for $100, not a thing wrong with it. Not bad for a 2004 3.5 HO, at least I think.

Swap some tooth wheels and some wiring and you've opened a lot of doors it seems. As for as simple bolt-on applications, maybe just a 02-04 Special PCM would suffice for most.

#558 ·
The newest upgrade, besides a smoothed out and painted upper plenum, is a bored throttle body. Machine shop claims 74 mm but I don't know, haven't miked it yet to check their accuracy. I know the gasket groove is gone. Can SRT8 injectors be far behind? Stay tuned. While the top end is apart, the adjustable rockers will get installed, and then the new plenum, throttle body, upgraded NOS fogger nozzle, and maybe the water/methanol nozzle while I'm at it. The new glasspacks and 12 inch tips are just totally badass and scare most mustangs right off the street, I'm hunting new camaros now. Hope I dont end up embarrassed! That just means I'll have to go to the 125 or 150 hp NoS nozzles and hope the pistons dont melt!

#562 ·
That looks good. You should try the ole water trick before installing it though just to make sure there are no leaks. If you have leaks, the car will not run good at all. A few members have had hard times with leaky bored throttle body's.

#563 ·
Probably not going to get it on this weekend, we're dropping the newly improved magnum in the boy's truck tomorrow, and Sunday we've gotta source out a massive vacuum leak in the intercooler tubing on the SRT4. Plus we're having a big chicken grill tomorrow. Too many things, not enough time.

#570 ·
:whohoo:I finally completed a list (and it may not be complete yet) of the mods I have done to this car. It's everything I can think of so far. Some of the last few items are still in progress and not actually installed (Daytona decklid and spoiler, adjustable rockers, methanol injection to name a couple):dance1:

2001 Dodge Intrepid R/T custom and performance modifications:
Tinted windows
Chrysler Corp. complimentary 100,000 mile license plate frame
R/T badging on doors and deck lid, new style Dodge emblem with red slashes
Daytona paint blackout on decklid, red R/T emblem, Dodge Motorsport decal
AC, power windows and door locks
Dodge Motorsports front plate and floor mats
2.7 to 3.5L to 4.0 H.O. Conversion, Hemi orange engine enamel
4.0 liter crank with mains undercut, 4.0 pistons and rods.
Rebuilt hi volume oil pump
New water pump, timing components, hydraulic tensioner
First generation exhaust manifolds, shot peened and shot honed
Cherry bomb glass pack Mufflers 2.5 inch
Dual Exhaust 2.25” with X pipe
A pillar w/triple gauge pod
Autometer Oil Pressure, Trans Temp and Voltmeter
Rear Courtesy lights
Turbo Action 3000 rpm stall speed torque converter, billet cover, steel bushings, furnace brazed
Stereo swap to OEM unit with external CD player controls, AM/FM/Cassette/CD
4 disc CD changer
Charger RT rear spoiler, organosol black
ES/SXT/RT style front end swap
New OEM crystal clear foglights and bulbs
Black Diamond headlights
Transgo hi capacity transmission cooler
Trunk mount battery box with vent
Cragar Soft 8 chrome 16 X 7 wheels
Ported throttle body to 74mm
Smoothed and custom finished upper plenum with Dodge emblems
Stage 3 ported lower plenum
Crower custom ground long duration 268 degree cams
Nitro valve springs and valve seals
Split Second stand alone fuel management controller
6.1 liter Hemi SRT8 fuel injectors
Custom made adjustable rocker arms
Stage 3 ported heads with 3 angle valve job and back cut valves
Blue anodized lug nuts
Cooper Zeon P245/50R16 unidirectional radials
Mopar Performance/ Spectre blue long ram cold air intake
Chrome slash 12 inch exhaust tips
Hayes hi capacity oil cooler
300M special sway bars on front and rear, poly bushings and insulators
Performance Handling Package coil springs with poly insulators
Performance Handling Package struts
Poly sway bar bushings and end links
Pro Stock hood scoop, functional with air box
Custom hood paint with organosol blacked out center section, white 9” ram's head decal
“MAGNUM” red scoop emblems
Dual remote oil filter setup with hi-capacity Fram filters
Relocated spun performance catalytic converters (moved down into floor tunnel to remove heat from engine bay)
300M power/heated agate grey leather seats front and rear.
NOS systems “Sniper” 75 hp. Shot wet nitrous oxide system, trunk mount bottle
Conversion from column shift to B&M hammer shifter ratchet floor shifter
Steam cleaned carpets
Torque management signal to PCM on switched circuit
Infinity sail panel speaker mounts with Pioneer tweeters and door speakers upgrade
Water/methanol injection at front of cold air intake to cool air intake charge

#571 ·
If you were going to go with, and stay with, the larger volume oil pump (and higher bypass/recirculate spring tension) you should have going with 0w-20 oil. With that remote setup, there should be at least 6 quarts in the system.
The issue with oil is not thinning at high temperature, but thickening when cold. (yes BITOG primer is right on this. 0w-15 should be on the market before 2015)

You did the best with what Chrysler gave you. The limitation is the transmission, because any 270hp '07+ Camry SE V6 will outrun and 300hp LH.

#584 ·
Well, I'm scaling down the fleet, I traded the 01 Ram and the 98 Wrangler on a new 2014 Ram 1500 Bighorn 4X4. Going to sell the 73 Fury and use the money to finally finish out all those little things that the Intrepid needs, like AC (of course its the evaporator and man, I just dont feel like tearing the dash apart and I think I'm going to let one of my trusted mechanic buddies do it.) and the ported upper plenum and maybe prowler pro gears if I can find some. Got the shifter cable straightened out and it will bang the gears again. Even after sitting for a couple months, it fires up and runs like brand new. Still holds 75 psi oil pressure cold and 30 to 40 hot. It just screams down the road, torque steer be damned, its just stab and steer. Anyone interested in a decent 73 Fury I four door, I got pics on here somewhere. Got a rod knock but a ton of other new parts. Will wheel and deal but its gonna go down the road. PM me if interested. Here's my new Ram, its a hemi powered dark cherry pearlcoat chariot of magnificence.:drool:
[/URL][/IMG]

#588 ·
you did get a nice ride there!
my buddy work for dodge/Chrysler/jeep/fiat and there 2014 are way nicer then th 2013. some are like caddies, and benzo's inside.

give us some inside shots!!

they have one of the hellcat's at his dealership I think I may trade my focus in for it. they make you do a loan approval before u can test it though. lmao. waiting for the numbers guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.