DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Gas tank size

10K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  D76G12 
#1 ·
How many gallons of gas can a 2002 SE take? I'm trying to figure out gas mileage, so I need to know this. Aren't they 25? Thanks,

ron

#10 · (Edited)
340duster said:
overall size in gallons minus how many gallons it takes=gallons used

miles/gallons used

or, as avenger said...no otis :p
How many gallons what takes???
Look, man, this is simple and I've done it every time I've filled my tank (since last Thanksgiving) ...
I fill up the tank and record the mileage (m1).
When I fill the tank up again, I record the mileage (m2) and take note of how many gallons I put in the tank to make the tank full again ...

(m2 - m1) / gallons pumped into tank = MPG

The tank capacity doesn't matter ...

#11 ·
I'm probably doing this all wrong. My idea was to fill up the gas tank all the way, see how many miles I could drive till I needed more gas, and divide that number by 17. So if I got 250 miles out of my tank, it would be 250/17= 14.71 MPG.

But, I see how this can be a problem. Because, I assume that the gas tank doesn't take exactly 17 gallons each time in reality. Plus, this doesn't account for how much gas is still in the tank when I fill up.

I'm gonna use the way mentioned above next time.

#12 ·
i've never filled my car up that much. the reading on my otis or what ever the hell it is in my 2000ES said i had 2 miles to go.. i was pushing it had to see how large the tank was..
i filled up like 15.6 gallons and it was full :fun_71: :listen:
i think it really has a 16gallon tanlk or my otic/evic wasn't reading right

#13 ·
It's a 17 gallon tank. The OTIS is being conservative. I know several people have driven several miles on "0" before. I've driven my car numerous times with the needle resting on the empty peg. The maximum I've even gotten in the tank was 16.8 gallons once, though I wouldn't recommend taking down that low...

#14 ·
I've gotten 17.1 gallons into mine by testing just how far I could go with "0" DTE reading on the OTIS. Needless to say, I won't push it that far anymore, but yeah, I was on zero for a long time. Either 17 is a rounded off number or I was riding on fumes.

And yes, the OTIS is being very conservative. From my experience, there is about 2 gallons left in the tank when mine reads zero DTE. Also, on the highway, the DTE doesn't start counting down until 30 or so miles of driving so it doesn't really count that top 1 gallon either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.