DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

2002 SXT Rear Speakers Replacement

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  DTFTH45 
#1 ·
Hey guys! When we bought our '02 Intrepid, the one rear speaker did not work. So we purchased two new Pioneer 400w 6x9's, but we cannot seem to be able to remove the rear deck lid to access the speakers. Any hints? Thanks

#3 ·
You have to remove the back seat to gain access to the rear deck. Push down between the back and bottom of the rear seats to expose the bolts. The bottom part clips in.

REAR SHELF TRIM PANEL
REMOVAL
(1) Remove seat cushion and back.
(2) Remove quarter trim lower and upper trim
panels.
(3) Remove center seat belt anchor bolt.
(4) Remove push pin fasteners.
(5) Pull rear shelf trim panel away from rear glass
to disengage clips (Fig. 22).
(6) Disengage CHMSL wire connector, if equipped.
(7) Feed center seat belt and bezel through rear
shelf trim panel
(8) Remove rear shelf trim panel from vehicle.

#5 ·
I just finished installing new Infinity Kappa 693.9i 6x9's in my 2000 R/T a few hours ago....not bad at all....even cut the rear package shelf for the speaker grills...looks freaking sweet! Pull up the bottom of the rear seat, it pops out no prob. Remove 2 nuts on the middle seat belts/seat belt receivers and then pull up on the back of the rear seat and it pulls out. Remove 4 push pins and the carpeted package shelf will pull out. Unbolt 4 7mm screws holding shitty factory 6x9's in place. Throw factory infinity speakers into dumpster. Replace with new speakers and install the same 4 screws. Reverse procedure and enjoy non paper speakers! I actually had to install spacers under my new Infinity's and then cut out the hole for the speaker in the package shelf with a cut off wheel and exacto blade and install the Infinity 693.9i grills which took about an additional 45 min....then reverse.....all in all about 2 hours....if u can use a ratchet and screwdriver its a no brainer......

#6 ·
Push down between the back and bottom of the rear seats to expose the bolts.
This is the worst way to do it! Remove the lower seat first. It's easier to do it this way!

#8 ·
Thank you for all the help, finally got around to doing the swap over the weekend, new speakers are much louder and sound much nicer. I removed the bottom seat first. I was able to drive around for a few days with no rear seat....exhaust much louder without the rear seat :D

Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Trunk Vehicle

Trunk Auto part Vehicle Car Automotive exterior

Vehicle Car Auto part Hood Technology

Vehicle door Trunk Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part

Merry Christmas!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.