DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Another Horse Power Thread

7K views 64 replies 11 participants last post by  ncfrc 
#1 · (Edited)
I just picked up a 2002 RT with only 115,000 miles on it.
It runs good but just doesn't have the power that I expected.
The rpm's seem to run a couple hundred less than my ES at 70 mph.

We also have a 2002 ES with 196,000 miles on it.
It has much better acceleration from 0-60.

Now this power difference is not 0-60 with foot to the floor , I'd say
at more normal driving.

The RT also downshifts when coming into a long hill at 65 , where the
ES does not.

Any suggestions or comments ??

#6 ·
but seriously.....before my motor died a year ago it had 116K on it....the new motor I got was from a 2004....same 3.5 HO...only had 46000 miles on it......but much better feel, better sound, better power and reminds me of when I first got my R/T in 2002 with 46000 miles on her....times takes its toll on 3.5's.....plugs, oil, K&N FIPK intake kit.....it'll definitely help.....perhaps run some SEAFOAM thru the different area, fuel, intake, oil.....it definitely helped my old engine Seafoaming it.....till it blew up that is...lol..

#7 ·
It's all about how you take care of it. My 3.2 with 102k on it runs better than ever. I decided to have a bit of fun today on the way home and stomped on the gas a few times (no snow on the ground where I did this). Tons of torque steer, quick response, and spinning tires.

I seafoam my oil every few changes and use Mobil 1 every time. I'll do the intake when I'm ready to change plugs again.

#16 ·
If you've checked everything over, and read for codes, it probably just needs plugs. If the intake looks like its coated with oil inside, cleaning it all out may help out a bit. A map sensor and air temp sensor won't read right coated with oil. Just don't scrub them, spray only. You may want to test the throttle position sensor, too. It wont throw a code till it dies or shorts internally, but may still have bad spots in it.

And with all this said, your cats may be bad. They can really bog an engine down.

#20 · (Edited)
I changed the plugs and air filter today. It had NGK plugs in it that were not
that old but I put a new set in anyway. I havn't driven it far , but no noticeable difference.

I honestly suspect that the engine in this car has gotten hot at one time.
Just a lot of small things under the hood that give that impression.
Used cars are such a crap shoot , especially when you get down to a
$3- 4000 car. We'll just drive it and see what happens.

#21 ·
Not sure if mentioned or not, but..

Mileage is decent on the engine, time is a big factor. If your suspicions are correct of it having gotten hot at some point, it would not hurt to look into a timing belt and water pump. One it gives you some security in knowing it has been done, two, if it's still the factory piece from 2002, its now 11 or 12 year old depending on build date.

Food for thought...

#26 ·
Takes a lot less to take a bow-tie down. :p

OP - I'm sure your issues reside in something foolish. My 3.5 has ran hot twice since I threw it in, and it's still produces very nice power-output, and I have 160K on it.

Cat converters are more then likely your issues if anything, since your at about the ripe age for them to sh!t the bed. I've had them die a lot sooner.

Seafoam the engine and gas, you may just get it running a tad-better, until we can trace the issue for sure.

#29 ·
Don't get me going on Bow-Ties.

I wouldn't drive one if someone gave it to me for free !!!!

Government Motors is a Total joke , they still owe us tax payers billions !
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Chrysler still owe back nearly half of what GM still does? Its still billions!

I'm not bashing Chrysler, but Ford didn't take any. I give them props for their management on that. GM is really just a really badly ran company.

I love my Intrepid. Its a great car for the price. I really like the new Chrysler cars. If I could buy a new car, It'd be a toss up between a Charger and a Dart II. But for pick-ups, I'll always stick with my older Fords.

Back to main topic, I've never heard of any catalytic cleaner doing any real good except unclogging them for a short, short while. It will not restore a burned out cat. Im fairly sure once the material is contaminated or burned away, its done for. I'd price out some decent aftermarket ones or delete them if you have to.

#30 ·
I'm sure your correct about Chrysler owing the government also.

I also realize that some product like Cataclean can't
revitalize a converter as the rare metals are either burnt
out or contaminated.
I'd just run a straight pipe if it didn't make the car too loud.

#33 · (Edited)
Dirdy said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Chrysler still owe back nearly half of what GM still does? Its still billions!

Chrysler paid back all of its government loans, except for 1.3 billion that was written off as part of the bankruptcy proceedings. As for GM, I am not sure.

I dont vehemently dislike any automaker. They all have their goods and bads. IMO, Ford has the most bads.....basically, their vehicles are nearly impossible to work on (the 6.0L diesel is a fine example among many), and they havent made one single vehicle that doesnt look either bland, or way overdone, since 2003...the newer trucks are especially ugly, especially those with the 30 foot tall grille and backwards headlights, and "toolbox" dash...:eviltongu.....although I do like their new Taurus, but would never own one. GM has just been meh since about 1996, with the exception of a few of the trucks. Mustangs/Camaros are meh...outdated, over-hyped...except for the high end models; usually. LOL. Earlier stuff is fine from both makers. Chrysler is the only one that has continued to impress me year after year.

#34 ·
I agree with Dan. If you're a car guy in the truest sense, then you dont like a car because of the badge, you like a car because of what it is, because of the soul. Im a very broad minded person when it comes to cars. Sure I have my Intrepid that Ive owned since I was 16 and dumped thousands and thousands into, but I've also had 2 other really cool cars. Ive had a 1990 Honda (yes HONDA) Prelude Si with 4 wheel steering and a 5 speed. I loved that car. It was quirky and had alot of character. A blast to drive to boot. My current DD is a "blasphemic" GM product, oh no! My 95 Park Avenue Ultra is awesome. Its built like a tank, the motor is virtually bullet-proof and the fact that its supercharged and its the best sleeper I can think of isnt half bad either. I love most cars. Every car has its flaw. Every. Mopar is indeed no stranger to that. Look at the 2.7 design and half-assed cheap interiors on anything from the 70s all the way until just recently. But being a car guy, you look past the flaws and into the "soul"

#36 ·
I've been in the Auto Parts Industry " many different aspects " since the early 80's and
have been turning wrench's since I was 10 . Do I know everything ? NO WAY !
I myself try to be open minded about many things but being in business and being an
owner really opens your eyes as to how poorly run a company like GM is and was.
When a company cries to us , the Government and the people that they need 70 billion
to survive and then less than 6 months later their bragging that they paid back 18 billion ,,,
give me a break ! The dam guys paid us back with the money we loaned them.
And the sad part is that they fooled a lot of people with that move.
Also - We drove Saab's for many years and with GM owning it for more than 20 years ,
all they did was steal some technology and run it into the ground.

#35 ·
#37 ·
I've been working on that car since I could walk (around 3 y/o)! I remember that when the battery died for the first time ever, I was the one to turn the key in the door (The entire concept fascinated me, LOL I was one stupid child I guess). And now I'm buffing paint, pulling off door panels and more!

#38 ·
I ran two cans of carbon solvent thru the intake vacuum port and
put a can of Fireball Plus into a 1/4 tank of gas.
We'll see if that with smart'n it up some . 3" of snow today so hard to
give it much of a road test.

:1959:

#43 ·
Would depend if you are just cutting a hole in the bottom of the box or actually running some kind of piping / tubing to give it more of a 'ram air' effect. In essence, its a good idea, but won't give you a noticeable power increase ( intake sound will be louder tho )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.