DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1st gen Intrepid fender install

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  knoslf 
#1 ·
hello fellow 1st gen Intrepid owners im a newbie to this site and have not yet marinated in all of the many posts....I recently bought a 97 intrepid 3.3 and love it! The only thing is the pass side front fender is banged up so I bought one from the junk yard near Denver and need to know if its a diy or are any special tools needed, im dumbfounded when it comes to body work. I can see 2-4 bolts under the hood but there must be some hidden ones as well. Also, the pass door has bent the edge of the fender a great deal in order to open the door half way. Does anyone know where I can get maybe a diagram of the fender mounting locations or something? Any advice is highly appreciated, this jack up fender is driving me nuts!

#2 ·
The fender is being assaulted by the door because it got pushed back, more than likely. When you pull the fender off, you will likely be able to see if the door has been damaged at all. Hopefully the paint on the edge isn't in too bad a shape, otherwise you'll really want to do something to that to protect it from rust - at minimum I'd clean it up with a wire brush and spray it with rattle can paint.

As for how it mounts, yes, you will have 4 or 5 bolts under the fender. I think in 1995 they changed how many bolts hold the fender on, when they went from plastic to metal fenders. As long as your fender is the same material, it will mount up the same. If not, you will have to drill a few of the holes in the fender lip - but not complicated. As for where it mounts, I'm not an expert, but there should be a mount to the bumper cover in the front, possibly a 'stay' bolted to the bottom at the front of the tire, possibly screws in the inner fender, and then there will be a bolt behind the tire at the bottom, and then at least one bolt you get to behind the door - might be able to reach it with the door open, I don't know... if not, you have to remove the door (or take it loose).

Look at your new fender for all the mounting points you can find - that should get you what you need to know.

#3 ·
Thanks...

Thank you so much cdmccul and pardon my delay in response i am new and had no idea someone replied to my post. I am glad to see this as I plan to attempt the fender replacement in the morning...hope it turns out decent....:smileyvault-newhere

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.