DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Snagged another one

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  SRT6INTREPID 
#1 ·
Took an unusual way home today from a job on a road I never go down. I seen an intrepid and decided to stop just to see what they were asking for it to get a better idea what they go for around me. It was tagged $300. I looked it over inside and out. Has 192,xxx on the odometer but is super clean and in nice shape. The body was rust free except for the driver side door which had the bottom rotted out. Looks like it was replaced before as the body lines don't match front and back. I guess its a bad coating. Called the guy up about it. Trans was rebuilt completely last year, new Mopar strut mounts all around, started knocking(yep, 2.7).

Its also identical to my current '99. Its charcoal, base model. I couldn't pass it up for just the body alone. But a rebuilt trans and good struts? WIN!!!

So I got it right away. Didn't even start it before I handed him the cash and got the title. It was knocking loud. Almost made it home... It died on the hill 1/4 mile before my driveway. The engine came apart internally. Basically it burned all its oil out on the 4 mile journey back to my house.

Even having to come back 1/4 mile with my truck to hook a strap to it, I'm really happy. Now I can have a nice solid car. I've got a 3.2 in a parts car I got from a member here. That car has a good engine and every option on the interior. Now I can have a car that looks as good as it runs.

Don't know what I'll do with my current car. I'll probably put it all back to stock and sell it cheap as a good running car with some rot. I will swap my driver side door.

So it will be
  • strong 3.2
  • rebuilt 2.7 trans
  • my nice exhaust
  • GOOD Mopar struts
  • Leather seats
  • Autostick
  • Overhead module
  • Leather topped door panels
  • and a rust free body

And it came with a nice Pioneer HD radio thats a couple years old.

See less See more
#7 ·
Way to go!Sounds like maybe they swapped in a 300M/LH'S/Concorde door. The outer skin is different on the Trep door.
It looks like it was off another intrepid. I don't see any paint lines from being repainted. It has the I-N-T-R-E-P-I-D on the side. I'm guessing its just off another car and wasn't aligned correctly. Its gapped large in the front and small in the back. I can only make a good assumption its not the cars original door as it is the only body part rusted.

#11 ·

I don't have a picture of it but, that common rust spot below the fill-up door doesn't exist. Not even a bubble.

Found out the car originally was bought at the stealership down the road from me. The guy I got it from had it since '08 and lived up north further. They don't use salt up there, just sand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.