DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Manual transmission on LH?

6K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  concordefreak 
#1 ·
Has anyone thought or has converted their auto trans to a manual trans? Is this even possible?

#3 ·
True! but the autostick still lags compare to a true manual shift. I just don't get why Chrysler doesn't entertain the manual option for some of their vehicles, I'm sure there is a market. Take the V6 300, charger or challenger, they would be awsome cars to drive with the manual trans. Chevy and ford do that with their V6 cars. I just don't get it. I love my 300m but I was just thinking how much it would cost and if it was worth the effort to try something like this.

#5 · (Edited)
It would cost a fortune, if you could do it. Think what all is involved - adding a clutch pedal and linkage, adding a gearshift linkage,putting a manual trans on an engine that I don't think ever came with one. Of course emissions and engine computers are all involved with what gear the car is being driven in so your manual trans would have to communicate with a computer that is on a car that never came with a stick. Everything inside, under the hood and under the car is shoehorned into place. There is no spare room.

And even if it did work, you know what your (say) $4000 300M would be worth? Aftger sinking a ton of money and time into it, even if it worked, it would be worth almost nothing because nobody wants to buy someone else's Frankenstein mechanical project.

I once converted a car from an automatic to a 4 speed. It was a car that at least you could get the parts to do it with (because a stick was an option). It was rear wheel drive, pre-emissions with no electronics. It was a big car so there was room to work. In the end it worked pretty well but I regretted every dollar and every minute I spent doing it. A good shift kit and a stall converter for the original automatic trans would have saved me a ton getting the car done and would have been quicker on top of it.

Forget it. If you want a stick, buy a car that came with one. This idea isn't worth two seconds of thought.

#7 · (Edited)
IF there were a good longitudinal front wheel drive manual transmission out there, I would do this in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, there is not much in the longitudinal world...only the transverse world.

It would not be pointless at all, IMO, it would make the intrepid much more fun to drive, plus increase the torque and horsepower that makes it to the street.

One of Dodge's MAJOR downfalls....lack of manual transmission availability in EVERYTHING, except mostly high end Ram trucks and SRT's....used to be the manual trans came in a base model...not anymore. I am one to always say, automatic transmissions suck....they are for sissies....but when you really like a car, and no manual is available, sometimes you compromise. :glum:

Now an LX car would be much more simple to convert to a manual, since they made them manual shift.......

#11 ·
High hopes would land you a porsche 911 transission, there was a shop that made a kit for a bellhousing adapter for 3.5L engines mostly for buggy's.

The problem is the transission is worth more than the car.

Or if you really wanted to you could probably find the drivetrain of an 05 Hemi and fabricate yourself a RWD LH vehicle, it would probably cost you the same in terms of putting in a manual transmission.

Hell, even for my poor mustang that got stuck with a shitty 5 spd I've been looking at T-56's and they aren't cheap either (just an FYI, a T-56 would probably have an aftermarket kit to bolt up to the hemi since all the latest manual transissions used for the 3 muscle cars are derivations of the T-56).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.