DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

need a recommendation on a good car battery

5K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  300maximilien 
#1 ·
I need a good car battery for 1st gen corde. Might sound like a stupid question but...

I am having a hard time starting car in morning. Just started doing this because its cold out. car has 41k miles. I been dealing with DIE HARD batterys for a while. I have to lookup my records on when i changed my battery last. It seems the morning start as soon as i turn the key it goes to start and all lights in car die. second turn and it starts right up. I only drive to work and home. THey are both 15 min rides. As you can see from the miles on the car i dont go anywhere. LOLOL

What do you guys recommend. I know some of you are from canada area and other cold places and im sure your cars start right up all the time everytime. Thanks.

#2 ·
I personally would look at a Mopar battery, for the money. Besides Mopar, I would suggest Interstate. I have become very unimpressed with Diehard, and Durralast, even yellow DuraStart (Walmart house brand), in the last 10 years... 10 years ago, all three of them would have been a fantastic battery because (in the higher end lines) they were made by Johnson Controls... in more recent years, they have been made by other random companies, including Exide - and Exide has never made a battery I've liked.

That said - Interstate still makes their own batteries.

Otherwise, there are some nice reports out of Gel batteries, like AGMs, etc. I guess I would still suggest Interstate and Mopar for the money though.

#3 ·
Thanks i checked my paperwork and i bought this die hard in 1/18/2009. The battery before the diehard was a exide that lasted 7 yrs. I will look into interstate. I was a bit worried with mopar because well they only last 3-4 yrs. My moms 00 voyager came with a mopar and it died in 3 yrs. I always figured dealer batteries never last long. My sisters delco for her malibu died in 3 yrs when she first bought her car. But i will look at interstate. Thanks again for all inputs on this. Im not going back to diehard. I have the gold group 34 795 CCA. Maybe the cells are dieing and the cca are just arent there.

#4 ·
A few months ago I was seriously considering this 8 year Bosch battery from Pep Boys.

Bosch Premium Performance Battery Part # 78DT850B SKU: 9872822

BOSCH-36/96 MO - 850CCA/1000CA - OE CCA: 600 - RESERVE MIN = 120

103.99 + 12.00 core charge.

I fell into a very cheap used battery that still has lots of life so, I went that route.

As for the Mopar batteries, I have seen lots of them last 10 years on the second gen Treps.
That may be due to the location.

#19 ·
http://www.tristatebattery.com/deka-intimidator-9a78dt-3478agm-p-1112.html

Made In PA. Great Value, once my interstate dies it will be replaced with one of these.

Optima Battery quality has really tanked since they moved production to Mexico.
^^ Pretty much this. I bought mine when they were Made in USA hence the so many trouble free years. However I have seen many of the new ones with issues. However, I have yet to see any other battery still do as well or handle as much abuse as Optimas though. However Durlast has started making their own AGM batteries. Since they are new I do not yet know how good they are.

#18 ·
I believe Diehard batteries are made by Interstate. But for pice and warranty I would go with Craig's recommendation--Advance's Autocraft Gold battery.
nope died hards are made by johnson controls,,, they suck rocks

asking about Batteries , is like asking about what oil to use,,, your gonna get 100 different answers, go with the most reccommended,, so far its interstate, or mopar,, my mopar lasted 8 years, now it has a interstate,, as does my wifes car

#21 ·
All batteries are starting to be of questionable quality. To pay $30-40 more for a battery of equal or lesser warranty is just plain dumb. This is why the Advance battery is the "best deal" right now $80-90 with a 7/3 warranty is too good to pass up.

FWIW the OEM battery lasted 8 years in this '99 and I just had to replace a 5 year old Interstate....

Mopar now farms out their batteries to the cheapest bidder.....still good? Maybe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.