DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Install a Solenoid pack for transmission?

18K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  peva 
#1 ·
I have posted a number of times about all of my check engine codes, and I have been told by many people that it is my solenoid pack that needs replaced. Almost everytime I brake at a stop light, my car goes into limp mode and i have to restart. There are about 5 codes (I'd have to look them up again, but they all go to the TCR relay or something like it). I bought a Hanes manual and did a transmission fluid flush which didn't help at all. Instead, now it sometimes won't drive for about 5 seconds after I hit the gas when I turn the car on (only does this about twice a week, but its getting more frequent, and only started after the fluid flush/change). I want to purchase the solenoid pack and put it in, but the Hanes manual really says nothing about this part. Is it difficult to do? Or is there another name for it? Also, is there ANYTHING else it could be? I am willing to do multiple things before I even ask a dealer for help, as I do not trust them! -BTW its a 2003 Intrepid ES.
THANKS IN ADVANCE! I don't know what I would do without this site!
:banghead:

#2 ·
P0871: Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor/Switch “C” Circuit Range/Performance
P1776: Solenoid switch valve stuck in L/R position
P0841: Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor/Switch 'A' Circuit Range/Performance ...
P0731: Gear 1 ratio incorrect

Those are my codes (on top of 0700). Also, my car is in great shape and runs well other than the limp mode- no speedometer problems or electrical problems that I am aware of. Thanks!

#5 ·
I'm about to replace my valve body/solenoid pack on my newly purchased 04 2.7. I removed a valve body/solenoid pack from an 00 2.7 at the auto dismantler that cost me $66 and am waiting for this weekend to do the install.

I searched this board to find out how to remove the valve body which turned out to be not that bad, just a bit messy.

#12 · (Edited)
I was about to start the job today and for some reason my tranny is no longer acting up. Took it for a long test drive this morning, the rpms are now down to 2250 at 65mph and it no longer goes into limp mode or do I get the P700 after clearing the codes.

That's the good news. Now I'm getting another trouble code, P0325, knock sensor....go figure.

Anyone need a used valve body/solenoid pack? $65 plus shipping.

#6 ·
Still having trouble finding any help

Could you tell me where you found the info on this site to help you with your taking out/ installing the valve body/solenoid pack? Also, what website did you get the parts? I am having trouble finding anything online. Thanks!

Let me know how your car is running now!

#8 ·
Could you tell me where you found the info on this site to help you with your taking out/ installing the valve body/solenoid pack? Also, what website did you get the parts? I am having trouble finding anything online. Thanks!

Let me know how your car is running now!
I think I just typed in "valve body" in the search box. I did not buy my parts online, I have a Pick 'n Pull dismantler yard nearby where I can take off the parts myself.

This will be the second time I'm doing this. My first valve body job was on my 2002 Trep that had the same problem and that turned out perfect.

#10 · (Edited)
I wish it were still covered, but it isn't. Was your problem the solenoid pack? I think I'm going to buy it and install it. I know I should probably do the speed sensors as well, but unsure.
I can't tell you if it was the solenoid pack since the valve body I got and installed came with the solenoid pack attached to it. I just swapped the complete valve body/solenoid pack as a unit.

Besides, I read somewhere on this board that the valve bodies on the 02s to 04s had a chronic problem. So why not kill two birds with a single stone?

Don't waste your time on the speed sensors, it will just prolong the agony.

#11 ·
Check with your local junk yards for 2G LH transmissions. For the parts you mentioned, I believe any 2G LH would work (intrepid, 300m, lhs, concorde). There are many dead intrepids out there so the price for a transmission is extremely low. I know a junk yard near me sells complete LH transmissions for like 80 bucks a pop, some of them with fairly low milages (50K for example).

You can also look on car-part.com for transmissions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.