DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Going to buy a VS-Polisher, what else should I get?

6K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  33236 
#1 ·
I'm going to pick up a Porter-Cable 7424XP VS Polisher. I know I'll need a backing plate in order to use hook and loop pads, but what kind of pads should I get and what kind of compound does everyone recommend? I already have a bottle of Ultimate Compound in my collection. I figured I'd start with that and then work into a polish, then wax? What do you guys recommend? Thanks!

#2 ·
Personally i would avoid the Porter-Cable at all cost due to the fact that most of the internals are plastic and don't last and the trigger switches break easily.

My choices for a polisher would be Makita or Dewalt.

As for the compound the Meguiars Ultimate Compound is very good and works great with a standard wool bonnet.

#3 ·
Thanks for the input. I really don't want to spend much more than what the PC will cost me. A lot of the Dewalt and Makita options jump in price. I won't be using this all the time either. Maybe 5-6 times a year when I have the time. I just want something that's going to help with the swirls left on my car after going through a automatic carwash 4-5 times a week for the past year without breaking the bank.

#7 ·
Does this mean that you are using polishing compound on the entire car? I have been using it only on tar spots and other hard to remove items. It never occurred to me to do the entire car. If you are doing the entire car, what is the process? Do you put it on using the VS polisher, and then take it off using the polisher and a different cover?

#9 ·
I bought the polisher, a Meguiars cutting pad, and Meguiars Ultimate Compound. I apply the compound with the polish with the polisher and go over a small section. Then I wipe off the polish with a microfiber towel. In my case I repeated this twice until the paint was to my liking. I then moved onto another spot and repeated until the whole car was done. I broke down my door sections into 4 equal parts, to give you a estimate of my working area. I then switched over to a Meguiars finishing pad and applied was to seal the deal. You can see pictures in my signature thread, the last page. I watched a lot of videos from this guy on Youtube. He's been recommended from a lot of different forums.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.