DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Headlight's Low Beam Not Working

9K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  Bearkat 
#1 ·
I just purchased a 2001 Intrepid Se. I knew it had this problem when I bought it, so I replaced all the fuses, relays, bulbs, and even the headlight switch to fix the problem. And my low beams still don't work! They work when I flash my brights though??? I'm tired of driving at night with just my drl and side marker lights. What could be the problem?

#6 ·
Check the relay.

#7 · (Edited)
Bearkat said:
I know the part number for the switch. So how would I go about to change that, and exactly what does it have to do with the low-beams anyways?
Just thinking a possible short, since our low beams stay on with the high, and you get lows when you use the MFS, I assume there is some circuit involving the lows. Chris has a good point, about checking the relay.

#11 ·
check the ground wires for the low beams and make sure they are grounded.

#12 ·
I'm looking at the wiring diagram and trying to figure this out.

#15 · (Edited)
Dodgaholic said:
His low beams work with the high beams, Chris. I'm assuming that rules out a ground issue, or they wouldn't work at all.
I've seen grounding issues with lighting where the circuit will back feed thru the ground terminals in a light from another circuit. But after looking over the diagrams I don't see it happening with these cars.

The multi-function switch, based on what I can see in the diagram, has two contacts: #1 is a momentary flash to pass which gets battery+ and applies it to the high beam relay coil. #2 is the clicked position for the highbeams. That #2 circuit gets its power from the low beams and feeds the high beam relay coil. Now, if the two contacts in the MFS are close enough where if you hold it in the right position, it would connect battery power across the terminal for the high beam relay and also thru the #2 contact and feed the low beams also. The MFS might be part of the problem but I don't think its the only problem. It still doesn't explain why the low beams don't come on when the headlight switch is on.

Pull out the low beam relay and try to get the cover off of it and plug it back in. Carefully push the actuator and see if the low beams come on. If they do, then for some reason the BCM is not completing the circuit when you turn your headlights on. One side of the low beam relay coil is +battery and the other is controlled by the BCM.

Also, if you pull fuse #11 from the junction block and pull your MFS for your high's the low's shouldn't be on.

#16 · (Edited)

Here's the diagram. You can see what I mean if you look at the MFS, if all three contacts were connected together, it would feed back to the low beams and power the high beam relay.

Another question, when you turn the headlight switch on, do your DRL's go off? The low beam relay is the trigger input to turn the DRL's off when you turn the headlights on. If the relay isn't coming on, then the DRL's should stay on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.