DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

im a newb to this site 17 (sry)

801 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  iGaRaai90 
#1 · (Edited)
Anyways our family shares a 1996 eagle vision, the thing drove great when we first bought it 9 moths ago. Now the transmission only goes forward in L has quick acceleration , but the engine makes a loud grinding noise in that gear, also the steering wheel is stiff at low speeds(possible cracked hose, broken power pump, or ball problems), and there seems to be resistance somewhere that the car just naturally wants to come to a stop.The kind of the feeling you get when you gently press your breaks (probable mechanics fault), this car has seen top notch mechanics, and evertime it came back something else went wrong im not raising any conspiracy just want to get into the habit of doing my own work so save money

#4 ·
Welcome to the site. The eagle vision is a nice car. I would say to get another transmission. I wouldnt really worry about the body until you get it back on the road.

#5 ·
it's a good thing 4 names carried the same tranny , buy how much would it be to installteh transmission? I have the a second vision which is being scrapped for parts(don't assume its a waste the entire roof was chopped off because it colapse after a tree fell on it long story , but everying thing on it works!

#6 ·
True. I think my buddy got the tranny used from a junkyard for 200 and he had a friend install it for free. But 200 isnt that bad IMO.

#7 ·
if everything worked in the wrecked one, swap it out. you might get lucky and have good parts from the a/c unit as well. fix it with the parts from the wreck before you get rid of it. should cost you only some time and labor to swap the parts out. I don't know how well your garage is equipped as for tools and equipment to remove the tranny. that might be the issue for you. shouldn't cost more than a few hundred if you got to pay someone to swap the tranny out. If you got the equipment, you could have it swapped and running for little to nothing.

AJ

#8 ·
im 17 have no knowledge of transmissions, soo how do i remove a transmission?, this is junk car and it seems im the only one in the family who want's to hang on to it , the rules are strick if it cost $1000 or more to do it's over because, as said it has major cosmetic damage and other problems. Also I have no idea what's wrong with the tranny, I turn the engine on put it in D works fine, come to a stop press the throttle engine rev's fine but no power is going to the wheels(i call this a stall even though it's not), I don't know whether its the transmission of the Torque converter, but i simply restart the engine and D works fine, but in L the engine rev's high, and I get no "slip" , but this gear waste's gas and put's alot of revolutions on the engine

#10 ·
Ok, first of all have you checked the trans fluid level ? Make sure she's at the right temp and with the engine at idle when you check the fluid level. If, she's at the right level, then I'd drop the pan and change the fluid and filter to see if will fix it. Thats the two cheapest things that I can think of for you to do. As for the steering I've got a few ideas also, but you need to get the trans fixed first.

#11 ·
steering, I found crack in the high pressure hose, also my family has no tools for cars, we recently started to rely on my dad's impala, so this is'nt really our only car, also I think it may be a electrical problem, but the transmissio has'nt seem any fluid change for 6 months (OUCH)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.